urquattro

M5 from Lincolnshire.W

Just for the record, my age and skills do not extend to lots of the jobs, so a small body shop and skilled welder plus painter labour for money on my investment !! ha ha.

I am the project missmanager, being limited to cleaning, seeking assistance, trawling ebay and knowing f.a. about M5 but learning fast.

Sometimes I can get things right, but having used to own a bit of a body shop I can at least not be missled, but that doesn't happen where this one is.

Absolutely. You've got big balls for taking that on, and it looks like you're doing a proper job. Nice to see one of these saved rather than fragged.

If you need any 3G alarm bits, I have one here with the siren, ECU etc. 3G is the small siren with the strange key to turn it off.

Thanks for comments, particularly about the alarm etc, so may well have to return to that and solve the security and one key issue as that not good.

I am able to scratch around for a few hours most days so that puts a different perspective on a job like this, plus the body shop is so close I am in there quite often and we have informa/formal inspections and discussions. I am able to keep the project moving on a few fronts at the same time.

Planning for MoT, final garage jobs followed by audo fit and possibly h/free car phone.

At this time of life I like easy relationships on a job like this. Got the spare front lights out of store today and will make up the best set from two lots, thats the good thing of having the barn space.

Also got Audi RS2 out of store today and it is fine, always stored properly so it never a problem and it out and about until frost/snow/salt looks likely.

Not around for a few days next week as hosp beckons again but know the project is on course and will post next set of pics, probably next week end.

Edited by urquattro

seems like this is around the expiry fate for e34 sills. both mine need doing. loads of others need doing in various other threads.

yours looks real smart tho man. was it crazy dolla?

post-39366-0-82744200-1349266090_thumb.j

Having now escaped the clutches of the nhs, I decided to check up on the charming M5, its fair to say we are really into it now...................and there is no going back.

Only dark bit of news, front bumper/spoiler was damaged beyond repairs, but think another has been sourced ok and the change of colour is now problem.

The work is extensive, no bodged repairs and all metal/panel bit so the car shell is 100% for a few years

post-39366-0-70719900-1349266151_thumb.j

post-39366-0-84208300-1349266202_thumb.j

As you can see, it all gets better from now on, smiles but they dont work now.

Not a good week for me, so limited playing with cars but here is what I know re friday update.

Tyres arrived and throwing stars also finished, not that they are needed yet.

N/S front wing to come off for a look re inner wings but nothing obvious.

O/S front wing needed only minor metalwork/welding.

Rear end, both sides done - this was the worst re corrosion at cill ends etc.

Replacement front bumper due early next week, rear ok.

Next job, inside of all four doors to be painted.

Minor filling to get rid of scars, then all doors back on and primer goes on next week, so some more pics then.

When I am up to it, will go to the stealers and get 2 more ignition keys and hopefully the flea bay spare fob will program to the car at some time.

Thats it and words only this week end.

So here I am resting at moment but about to start the questions again.!

E34 air con is the subject of choice, and it maybe possible to get it to work again.

I am sure the compressor mechanics/controls do click in via control panel.

There is located in frontal area, offside is a tin can, very rusty and drops low into the area below the back of bumper.

Is this the filter dryer or just a sump type dryer.

I intend to get the system pressure tested but this bit clearly has seen better days, it appears about 120mm dia and about 200mm deep and is plumbed in.

You can see the rust can in pics of car frontal area, low on right and showing its rusty elegance.

Thanks it will help me unfathom a bit more.

Edited by urquattro

Keith,

First, that sounds like the dryer and it will be knackered and needs changing.

Second, if 00008 is the car I think it is, it was manufactured 31 March 1992 and this means it is an R12 system rather than an R134 system. So you are going to have to convert the system, like it or not. Your best option is to get the conversion kit supplied by BMW as it contains a new dryer, safety pressure switch and all the adaptors.

Here's the link to the kit, http://bmwfans.info/..._kit_r12_r134a/

Cheapest place I found to get it from was bmminiparts.com but Cotswold BMW quoted me £153 with free delivery recently. BMW have plenty of stock.

The above applies assuming it hasn't already been converted which I would guess it has not.

The other concern would be the state of the seals, so as you say, best to get it pressure checked first.

Geoff

Edited by Dongiov

First, that sounds like the dryer and it will be knackered and needs changing.

Second, if 00008 is the car I think it is, it was manufactured 31 March 1992 and this means it is an R12 system rather than an R134 system. So you are going to have to convert the system, like it or not. Your best option is to get the conversion kit supplied by BMW as it contains a new dryer, safety pressure switch and all the adaptors.

Here's the link to the kit, http://bmwfans.info/..._kit_r12_r134a/

Cheapest place I found to get it from was bmminiparts.com but Cotswold BMW quoted me £153 with free delivery recently. BMW have plenty of stock.

The above applies assuming it hasn't already been converted which I would guess it has not.

The other concern would be the state of the seals, so as you say, best to get it pressure checked first.

Geoff

Thanks for this Geoff, the kit identity helps me a lot, the key thing is to get the system die/tested/pressured and see if the seals in the compressor are gone, they are around so not panicking over that.

Your identity of the car is correct, I have used the forum links to capture the build details, and the gas has to be changed, done it on the MB and that is fine, the RS loses its gas every year. !!

I have a local guy who is good on air con and has done a couple for me so I know I will get a fair job etc.

I will wait until the body/paintwork is done over the next month.

thanks, keith

I'd also budget for a new condenser, but these are inexpensive from aftermarket sources. I would imagine the pipes are all scrap as well, so breathe deep and change those as well!

This is a deep breathing project, but luckily I have time, patience and funds to keep knocking aside problems, will get pipes etc examined before the gas escapes in minutes. !

This is a deep breathing thread and i`m loving every minuite of it, glad to know you have the patience and funds to knock aside the problems Keith.

This is a deep breathing project, but luckily I have time, patience and funds to keep knocking aside problems, will get pipes etc examined before the gas escapes in minutes. !

The problem with the pipes is that they can be rusted solid to the condenser. If you can get them off in one piece and they clean up okay, they may be okay. A holed condenser is the problem 99% of the time and for the sake of 50-60 quid, it's just worth replacing it with the front end off the car.

i bought a new condensor from GSF for £66 with my discount for my e34 525. I can't see the M5 using a different one. Theres 2 types of dryer though so tread carefully. My pipes are crusty and a mission to get off but they'll go again and some copper grease will help the cause come refit time

Surfaced for a while so moved project M5 on a bit.

Local locksmith really good, cut an ignition key for me, it works a treat, £11 so we now safe re lost master key.

Another ignition and door key being cut next week for safety, central locking fob problem, now got a spare and will need to code it to car, as per owner's book - got one with the car..............

Got filter dryer and replacement condensor from forum, air con guy now in frame so that set up.

Wheels done at refurb place and due back as well as replacement front bumper next week.

Front lamps stripped and rebuilt by me (done something dirty this week)

Car, one side maybe in primer by week end, bodyshell looking good and this was the worst side.

Seats/door cards cleaned and ready for refit and make a judgement, keep them or use the spare interior? all decisions.

Now looking for 5 speed M Sport gearknob (mine shabby) and the two bonnett mounted clamps that secure shell to bonnet (also are the mechanical release jobbies)

Some more pics as soon as possible.