Angrydog

E39 M5 mpg

So probably less then if that's on the trip computer!

IIRC there is a way to correct the trip computer consumption figures through the "hidden menu" instructions were on the US M board...

I have never seen high 20's in the M5 and best long haul journeys in 6th is 24 mpg max and around town 14-16mpg.

I always say to people who ask what MPG M5 does.....go buy a 530d!

i'll get ma passenger to take a pic of my MPG next time when its sitting at 28-29mph always does and always has on the motorway and i used to do near enough 1000 miles a week then

my trip could need corrected but haven't bothered i bought the car to use so just fill up when it needs and enjoy

Just back on a trip from Edinburgh to Rochdale, drove around there for a while and back to Edinburgh. 436 miles averaged 24.3MPG in my car. (I know its not an E39)

Edited by Cambell

i used my m5 from edinburgh to rochdale few weekends ago and had an average of 28.1 on my trip comp

in terms of miles i got 387 miles to the tank before the yellow light came on

at 50-60 i would say mid 4's shouldnt be a issue

Mine currently reads 18.7mpg... Any time I go for a long motorway drive it goes up but around 0.2... then I go mental on the empty motorway early in the morning and it goes to 15mpg. I've had it just a notch over 25mpg once but I was driving like a saint as I had my dear old gran in the car and it was a long journey.

The point is, the mpg is SO variable in cars with such big displacement engines. There is no way around it. You can drive like a saint all the time and brag about mpg if you want but whats the point of having a near enough 400hp super saloon then? Go get a remapped 530d... If your mpg figure isnt below 20 then you're doing it wrong or drive a lot of motorway miles (all my own opinion of course cause I am bum hurt I get crap consumption figures due to my heavy foot). :D

Its already been said, but if you are really worried about MPG then an M5 isnt a good daily car.

I do about 20-25k PA in mine and honestly, I dont really care what MPG she does. I just fill her up when the tank is empty.

If i was concerned I would run an eco box

Yes i could possibly have a Golf again, but I dont want one, I bought my M5's to use and that is what I will do. Seems a waste at home on the drive

Andy, i agree that sometimes it can seem wasteful it sitting on the drive, but then again i have been in both camps and now personally i'm of the opinion more of Plenty and Maca in that if its used for the mundane, sure its still an M5 but it can lose that specialness about it.

Like if you're a Whiskey man. You like the taste, drink it when you go out and have it with a mixer. Now think of an expensive single malt. Thats the top dog of Whiskey right? But even though it tastes nice, you wouldn't want to drink it everyday or mix it with Coke. Its there to be enjoyed as a treat and on special occasions, otherwise you become accustomed to it as normality and then the whole experience is dulled

And although its not like the M5 gets broken out at Christmas and Birthdays and thats it, it makes it all the more fun to use for the fun of driving and not as a necessity to drive in backlogs of traffic to work.

Plus a twofold issue. If like me you are the only driver in the house, you can't simply pinch the Mrs car for everyday tasks. Plus, if you really want to spend time on the M5 to do something involving like i did refurbing my Vanos and sorting cam timing etc, its really not possible on something you rely on as a DD, especially if halfway through your stripdown you find you need to buy parts that are on back order from Germany.

With a 2nd "everyday" car you can, and also still afford the attention the M5 deserves. After all its not just through driving it that i or a lot of other users derive pleasure from owning one, its maintaining, bettering and improving one that brings some real satisfaction too. And these things often take time, you can't just whack the wheels back on, go and pick your Mrs up and then come home again to start all over again.

Ever need to do a particularly nasty jon that requires transport. Need to go to the dump, need to pick up a washing machine, need to take a sick dog to the vet. Need to take that same dog back home after a nice run in the park that included a jump in the lake?

Why do that to your pride and joy, also, why not do the things you want or need to do because you're scared to get a mark on your precious M5? Been there done it, don't need to worry now.

i appreciate its all opinions and circumstance plays a huge part in your choice, but IMO its not about it sitting there wasting, its about getting extra from it in different ways other than behind the wheel.

Edited by jamiepeers

I hear the argument and for many many years i personally ran two cars let alone the misses. about 8 years to be precise.

I got the M5 bug as I got fed up running two. I had a 530D and my last R32 GTR which was a very special car, However it just sat on the drive and I missed it when i was in the oil burner, there was always the "wish i had the fast car right now" on almost every journey.

For me, the M5 is the perfect balance car, it does the boring things better than most yet when the moment takes (which for me is a lot) it serves up an Ace, which is why i choose it as my "Only" car.

Granted for the messy dump runs etc i just bring one of the work vans home but i do almost everything in the M5 and love every single moment of it.

From experience there are not many who would undertake the level of work you have ( and I did ) on a M5. Yes there is the what if i don't get it finished before Monday, but that's half the fun?

I have on many occasions thought about getting a daily hack, but every time i get in the M5, that thought is long gone, cant think why :)

Edited by andy_ran

I guess I'm in the same camp as Andy, M5 is used all the time and it still gives me enjoyment every time I use it ..

When I "have" to use the 540 or the ST200 I only do so because I have no choice...

I tend to find the computer is 2 to 3 mpg optomistic in my car and so average around 20 mpg. The best 2 car combination is an M5 for motorway or A road journeys and an impreza or evo for blasts in the country and when there is snow/ice. Sorry this combination wont save you any money though.

I think it'll be two cars for me. I do too many things that would probably ruin it :(.

I still have to finish cleaning the blood from my alcantara seats from my dogs tail (bandage came off in the car).

It's ok to have that attitude if you earn a shit load of money or have wives / gf's who own a car and live with you.

I earn a decent wage, not amazing, but I have to travel to get it as I'd earn half what I do if I didn't. As a result I end up doing 600 miles a month to work (I car share, otherwise it would be 1200). It was ok in the days when I first owned my cossie and used that as a daily (got bored of the car and nearly sold it after 3 months, so bought another car and enjoyed every moment I had in my cossie from then on) but my gf doesn't live with me and doesn't have a car I can just use.

It has to be a cheap runner for the work run for me. I've covered 17k this year in my car, and about 2k in others. I cannot afford to run an M5 as a daily at that, but can as non work car, except on nice days when I do take it to work

26.6mpg is best so far for me, that was cruising at 80-85 one-up A/C on.

Average round town is 18-19mpg, had a couple of weeks where it's been as low as 13mpg as traffic has been so bad.

i'm with lord lucan, andy_ran, seesure and whoever else uses the M5 on an everyday basis

i use mine and it makes my day a million times more relaxing i get excited getting up in the morning and getting to drive to work then after a long day (12-15hrs sometimes 18hrs a day 7days a week 365 days a year i work no holidays) the i have the pleasure of driving back home in my pride and joy

my M5 keeps me sane and i enjoy every second i spend in it, the only other car i can use in the family is another M5 so i stick to using mine

whenever it needs fuel i put it in, sometimes its twice a day others its every second day rarely i last maybe 4 days before needing fuel, i'm sitting at 14.3 mpg and real life its prob 12ish but its the enjoyment of having the car that matters and always watching your mpg and trying to get more will take thats shine of the M5

but as has been said above IMO still having 2 cars wont work i know jaime worked it out but still thats my opinion and also dont get an M5 if mpg matters and if you cant afford it dont stretch yourself save up a little and get one when your a little more comfortable

Depending on the various costs, there is a break even point where buying and running a second car will be cheaper.

Considering that you can get good enough cars for a few hundred pounds and insure it cheaply (put the m5 on a classic policy not requiring 'no claims' then use the no claims on the other car) it might realistically be possible to gain in the first year. Consecutive years would then yield even greater savings as you would not have to contend with the purchase price of the second car. Also, petrol prices will only increase, so gain will increase over time.

The further you need to travel the more sense it makes to get the runaround. Remember the additional benefits as well, that would be difficult to put a price on (keeping m5 clean, less wear and tear, not having to use it everyday and therefore easier to do maintenance etc etc). Not having to use it in winter is also a good benefit, one prang and you would regret it so much.

For me it was a no brainer.

I do all my own work on the cars, so only extra maintenance costs are the parts (and places like ecp sell them cheap enough + if you get a good car, it won't need much attention for a while anyway), I have no garage bills to pay which helps considerably I believe.

I have a repetitive and mundane journey to work, it would be a bit silly to spend double the amount on fuel to do exactly the same, granted m5 journey would be nicer but it's a bit difficult to use its performance during the commute, the car would be wasted on such a dull drive! (my opinion). When I do take it out I can enjoy it even more without feeling guilty.

Jamie already worked out a typical cost comparison. You could do the same in excel in no time and try various scenarios and see the outcome. Might throw together a sheet and some formulas for this if I have time (did it before if I can find it).

One other thing of note, if you get a turbo diesel, try to get one with a strong turbo (no history of failures etc) as they cost a lot to sort out.

You can save yourself a good amount doing this two car thing.

I respect you guys who use the m5 as a dd, I wish I could justify it myself. Don't be fooled into thinking two cars would cost more though (I'm talking of a 'cheap to buy' car here, self maintained, not a fresh two year old for thousands - big difference). Add up your fuel bills, keep track of them, it will open your eyes as to how much you're giving back to the government! Use something like 'Gas Cubby' to keep track.

There's nothing wrong in looking after your money. The richest people I know are very good at it but give the impression of being extravagant, that's why they're rich!

Thanks ger.

My drive to work is mundane, stuck behind endless lorries on a single carriageway with very few safe over taking places. I think i would get bored of the m5 after a few weeks of that. I have full Ncb, 31, good job and decent area so insurance isn't that bad for me. I'd use the m5 at weekends / evenings for a bit of fun and enjoy it. It's not that I can't afford it, I just don't see the point in spending all I have to run the car, when I could spend it to enjoy the car

agreed and everyones circumstances are diff so its best doing what suits your situation

for me 1 good all rounder suits me for everyday and special occasions,

i love my M5, i'v tried to sell it but just don't have the heart, plus it whatever it does it does VERY well

I've already gave you my opinion on the matter. There is no right answer here as its what suits, but i find it a little confusing it can be suggested there is no economy in it, or a false one.

I'm doing it now.

I'm only doing 12k a year.

You don't have to do mega mileage to save money or break even. When breaking even you aren't putting mega mileage on a car thats 9 years old at best for the sake of what could be a boring work commute

I've given real proven costs, see my posts above.They aren't speculated, they aren't average, they're real. save money. Fact, although its not just about that as i've already said, but still, i save money.

Running 2 cars does not necessarily mean more costs. See above, or i could explain more?

You do 12k a year and buying parts for an M5 is far more expensive than buying parts for a mundane cheap car like a Golf, a Mondeo etc etc.

Tyres, brakes, oil even bloody wiper blades for God's sake. Lets sayfor all the above,

If you wear out all of these items every 12k you need to buy them once a year running an M5

Running 2 cars as above, you need to buy every 2 years using them for 6k a year each. OK, you need to buy twice as you need to buy for both cars so you still average a set of those parts per year However, only 1 set is costing you M5 money, the other is costing you econobox money

Brake discs for an M5 are about £950 a set, tyres are circa £700 for a mid range brand. Thats £1650. Now tell me you pay that for the same dance on a Golf at your local motor factors....................................................

Is that directed at me because i'm not disagreeing with you as i said above everyones circumstances are different

i couldn't care how many miles i do i bought my M5 to use, i dont care what the mpg is or how much more it costs to maintain

i use it, i enjoy it and once i'm finish i'll sell it for whatever i can get for it

Theres no argument here, your 2 car works out better for you and my 1 car works for me

We both have M5's and we enjoy them differently, the main thing is here we both enjoy them

If you are really that worried about being able to afford to pay the fuel bill for an M5 then don't get one. The fuel costs are only part of it. These cars are 10 + years old with most having over 100k miles on the clock. Some parts will wear out and others will fail, they are expensive cars to run.

I would only run a second car if I had decided to keep an M5 for the long term, mainly to keep mileage down and keep it in really good condition. I'm not sure it would save that much money.

I have driven m y M5 for as my daily car for 19 months now. I've loved every single mile. However, I've done my sums and with my new commute to work I would be cheaper off with a second car. Also, I want to keep the HOH mobile long term and be able to tinker with it at liesure which is something I have not been able to do. I also shy away from using the M5 for lugging heavy dirty stuff about (heh, that would exclude me then...).

Hence, I have been thinking about an E39 530d Touring as i love the comfort of the E39 and the relatively low price. However, there is an equally compelling argument to get something like a small petrol hot hatch so that my two cars provide vastly different experiences...

I can see myself getting a 500 quid banger while I save up for something nicer for the daily commute to work.

An E39 530d can have problems with injectors, turbo and auto gear box if you buy an auto. All are expensive to repair and there is every chance of having a problem due to the age mileage on these cars now. Worth considering when doing any money saving calculations.