Philip Cork

Fitted new exhausts last weekend

After reading Performence BMW few months back with the feature on Fluid Motor Union's new E39 M5 exhausts, emailed Michael and ordered a set to Ireland. Picked up Supersprint X Pipe from CA and got everything fitted with Souhans in Meath.

Quick video after fitting

Isn't the best option on our cars just to go for a simple muffler delete? It is certainly a lot cheaper. Removing the stock resonator box causes droning on the motorway doesnt it? I mean your car sounds great but so do all the muffler delete videos on Youtube. All down to personal preferance I suppose, no offence meant.

FWIW I had a Milltek Cat Back system on my old M5 and now have Muffler delete on my current, and have to say I prefer the muffler delete. It sounds more 'stock' and there is zero reverb/resonance at any revs. The cat back had a drone at 2k revs.

I would say tho- I agree with OP - anything to free up the sounds of this glorious V8!!!

I was in Dublin over the weekend and called to my mate Martin who has E39 M5 with Supersprint X pipe like mine but has Supersprint back boxes instead.

My M5 is on the left and Martins on the right

Here is a quick comparison video

Which sounds better?