baus

F10 diesel owners, how many miles/tank do you get?

As title really, how many miles do you get per tank, and what kind of driving do you usually do?

Also, if you can recall, what's the most you've ever gotten out of a tank?

I generally fill up after about 700 miles. The highest range I get is 750 miles but I don't want to risk running out. Getting just shy of 50mpg in the last 400 miles which I am very impressed with. 47 mpg is my overall average.

Return commute is 80 miles on motorway and 40 miles on A roads.

Edited by maxus

car done 4k miles now, trip computer claiming 41.5. Brim to brim fill ups suggest that the trip computer is telling massive porkies and that 38 ish is the true figure. I'm not the only one saying that the trip computer is a liar. I'm doing mostly town driving on the 10 mile commute to work along with the occasional shortish motorway trip

This all depends on quite a few factors, hence the widely varied results.

When the car is not warmed up it is a great deal less efficient, so short journeys lower the figure. Speed makes quite a difference too

At 95mph, my car records about 40mpg = 615 miles per tank

At 70mph, 55mpg = 850 miles per tank

35-40 mile A road trips with some traffic tends to show about 50mpg = 770 miles per tank

Overall I average about 43mpg including quite a few 5-10 mile journeys in a hilly area.

Yesterday a friend in a 530d and me in a 520d, travelled in convoy for about 20 miles though some heavy traffic at first, then freeing up. The 530d recorded 32.4mpg and the 520d 40.2mpg. Both cars were cold and travelled exactly the same distance and were driven in the same manner. The difference in the figures roughly corresponds to the difference in official figures (44 mpg vs 57mpg).

HV4

My drive is mostly in and around london - my 520 does around 25-30 average, well below quoted figures. Outside on Mways and A roads - i've seen 50+ mpg - highest seen is 59mpg.

and that's WITH stop-start!

I usually get 550-650 a tank, and that's with hypermiling, and mostly motorway miles. With BMW's big effort to reduce fuel consumption recently, I'm wondering if it's worth getting an F10 instead of a newer E60... even though I hate the styling to bits- both interior and exterior! I'm mean look at the M-Sport steering wheel! How shit does that look compared to the E60's one?

Sounds like I'd get about 200-250 miles extra per tank... although I'll never know for sure until I drive one for a week.

You drive an E60 and yet hate the F10 interior icon_eek.gif That has to be a first. It is such a huge step up in most peoples' eyes, including mine. I also like the F10 exterior, but that is a bit more subjective.

What's wrong with the F10 steering wheel?

2010-BMW-5-Series-F10-M-Sport-Package-06-500x333.jpg

Here is the E60 for comparison

bmw-m5-e60.27.JPG

It sounds to me like you should buy something else if you dislike it so much.

HV4

Edited by HV4

The problem is that the F10 steering wheel looks like this again!

bmw-530i-e60.26.JPG

I thought evolution was supposed to make things better!? Even the climate control looks rubbish- the E60 CC looks way more advanced!

I'm talking pure aesthetics here, not quality...

There's something about the minimalism of the E60... you know it's bloody well advanced, yet it doesn't show any of it. JThe best thing to compare it to is an Apple product I guess...

I bought 2 E39s new, so I should have been a natural E60 buyer, but I never really liked it. From the back it was quite aggressive looking, but the front put me off. I also didn't like the interior which lost the driver-centred feel of the E39 and used too many hard plastics. For 7 years I have avoided the 5 series, but instantly liked the look of the F10, and once I felt the quality of the materials, I was pretty much sold on it. The E60 M Sport steering wheel is not a bad design, but it looks thin-rimmed by today's standards. I don't have a strong opinion about the looks of the F10 M Sport steering wheel, but it is comfortable to use and the controls work well. It is all very subjective of course.

I'm not a fan of the F30 styling at the front, but I had a 320d Sport for the day recently and despite driving it hard (it was a loan car after all!) it averaged over 50mpg. It was fun to drive as well. If mpg is important to you and you can't bear the F10, then it could be worth a look.

HV4

Edited by HV4

The problem is that the F10 steering wheel looks like this again!

I thought evolution was supposed to make things better!? Even the climate control looks rubbish- the E60 CC looks way more advanced!

I'm talking pure aesthetics here, not quality...

The climate control on the E60 was one its derided features on launch both in terms of aesthetics and "feel" - the basic version would have fitted a Focus quite well and even the advanced version they had in the 6-cylinders was pretty average.

The F10s unit is so much nicer to use and look at, even the standard unit. Against a pre-LCI E60, there's no comparison, honestly!!

Based on 1st tank fill up :eek: I went 674 mls before filling up, mixed motoring, and it was showing 60 mls to empty, Journey computer said mpg was 51.4mpg over this tank, but based on liters taken and miles I calculate 49.1 mpg, so onboard fuel consumption is around 5% optimistic. Maybe I didn't manage to brim it on the last fill up and it's taken 3 liters more this time, so I'll check over several tank fulls.

Edited by FrankS

There is always this one, although I'm not sure if you'll like it any better:

I did reply to this, but the website had issues a few days ago and all the posts got lost...

You might find my reply in your email notifications, but instead, I'll leave you with this: How many times have random strangers come up to you and say "nice car mate!"? Even a chav walked by just last week, and said "Is that your car?" "wow, it looks like a beast, how much was it?" and then he mutters the words "one day mate, one day" under his as he walks away.

Even my friends grandma who doesn't know anything about cars (doesn't even know the difference between a mercedes or a ford, and just about tells them apart from their different colours), saw my car and said the equivalent of "your car really has a lot of presence!"

The E60 design gives it road presence like no other. It took time for people to realise it, but when they did, it sold like hotcakes! The E60 was the longest 5 series in production ever - that's how successful its design is.

Despite criticism over its exterior design and interior electronics, this became the best-selling 5 Series.

I still think the E60 looks excellent after all these years, especially the M Sport with spiders and a little boot spoiler.

Edited by Del Boy

Externally the E60 M Sport does still look pretty sharp. The same can't be said internally:

P1010864.jpg

Edited by HV4

The exterior of the E60 has never grown on me, Bangle has a lot to answer for. The interior looks cheap and yet they sold by the transporter load! F10 is aesthetically far more appealing and in VDC guise has a vastly superior ride. It's funny how the 320D and 520D are very close in price but back in '07 i chose the 320D over the E60 because i thought the E60 was just too ugly and didn't make me feel special when i sat inside it.

I'll leave you with this: How many times have random strangers come up to you and say "nice car mate!"? Even a chav walked by just last week, and said "Is that your car?" "wow, it looks like a beast, how much was it?" and then he mutters the words "one day mate, one day" under his as he walks away.

Even my friends grandma who doesn't know anything about cars (doesn't even know the difference between a mercedes or a ford, and just about tells them apart from their different colours), saw my car and said the equivalent of "your car really has a lot of presence!"

Pop a picture up of this car, with comments like this it can't be a standard E60 SE.

The interior of the F10 M5 I had for a few days had lots of buttons. Got me a little confused. Loved the arm rests though, much better than the e60. I understand why BM did the iDrive, but frankly it is pretty bad, and when it comes to climate it is diabolically bad.

Let's face it, the e60/61 SE is no looker. The Sport improves things. The F10/11 looks too safe and too like the 3 and 7, and quite often I need to double check which is what. But for me, I always think that new BMs look boring/bad until they have been on the road for 2-3 years. The F11 (being a Touring man) is already growing on me quite nicely, and by the time I need to change the E61, I will think it a good looker.

As for mpg, on a gentle run A road will get 40-45mpg. Not sure what a 70mph motorway run returns, as not done one.