ttrw2

ttrw2's 2001 Le Mans Blue M5

What sort of state were the subframe bushes in Rob? Contemplating whether its worth doing mine at 126k.

Front pair were cracked/torn and well past best, rears didn't look too far behind.

I always thought it was just the Tourings subframe bushes that went and saloon's were OK, but seen a few Saloons on here that needed replacing recently.

22 hours ago, ttrw2 said:

Front pair were cracked/torn and well past best, rears didn't look too far behind.

I always thought it was just the Tourings subframe bushes that went and saloon's were OK, but seen a few Saloons on here that needed replacing recently.

That's how the ones on my touring were. Fronts were both split, rears looked ok, but shrunken, if that makes sense. They came out very easily!

On 15/01/2020 at 16:23, ttrw2 said:

Useful to know, have you noticed an improvement in the drive? Also curious to confirm if they can be changed with the subframe in situ? If so it might not be that expensive to do, which would be nice!

1 hour ago, Jameswsb said:

Useful to know, have you noticed an improvement in the drive? Also curious to confirm if they can be changed with the subframe in situ? If so it might not be that expensive to do, which would be nice!

I changed other things at the same time so impossible to tell. However, I have noticed less axle tramp when pulling out of junctions quickly which can be attributed to the subframe bushes.

Yes can change in-situ, you have to drop the frame by 1-2" to get the top of the tool in. Perhaps not easy to make out but shiny black thing in this pic is the top part of the tool, lower matt black the main part.

R7XXw5S.jpg

I bought the Laser 4780 tool to do it as comparing images this seemed the closest to OEM BMW tool:

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4780

I'm happy to lend it out if anyone else wants to do the job.

Cheers, Rob

Edited by ttrw2

8 months since last update, whoops - blame covid!

The M5 has been tucked-up in a garage since February, when I was fortunate enough to buy a house with a double garage large enough for it and all my crap. Since the lockdown I've been working from home so not needed to the use of a car regularly but last weekend I got her out, washed and took for a spin. Forgot just how special they are tbh.

VNwxTvI.jpg

During the lockdown I'd done a few jobs on the M5, mainly finishing the new headlights.

I searched high and low for new, good quality lenses but couldn't find any so reverted to reconditioning the lenses I had by sanding down, lacquering then polishing the lacquer to a crystal clear finish:

IM3EfUE.jpg

l5fOnxf.jpg

bGSxstQ.jpg

60vLxgK.jpg

And finally a few weeks ago I bought one of these scissor lifts. The garage is big enough (once I've tidied it) to have the M5 up on the lift and work around it, lots more tinkering ahead:

Q92NgZV.jpg

Love the lift. Is it long enough for the car? Or, do the ends lock, extending its length?

This was something we overlooked with ours!!

Congrats on the house as well!

Edited by ger

Hi Ger yeah it has lockable drops at each end. It's this one from GEG:

https://geg.co/product/platinum-mobile-scissor-lift/

Not too much happened with the car in 2020. Covid, WFH, tucked in the garage and other cars meant a quiet year for this M5. I changed the number plate for a stick on from proplate (I much prefer the looks of the e39 without a plate. A stick-on for my 5-digit M5xxx plate is as close as I can legally get to none). I don't have a plinth since it was broken-off in the beast from the east in early 2018 by a massive lump of frozen snow/stalagmite.

TtsGvvQ.jpg

cqVtEKL.jpg

goKSSvr.jpg

Btw, these cheap little smart chargers from Aldi are a godsend for e39s that are left to rest for long spells at time. They're ~£12 and a rebranded Medion (a german electronics company owned by Lenovo). Better than any CTek I've had.

17mDyXi.jpg

HNY all. Cheers, Rob

Great minds think alike. 
I too bought an Aldi charger fir it’s trickle feature and I too had a stick on reg. plate on the front of my old 530d. Lovely car and I’m well jealous of your scissors lift. 

ED776CC8-B494-4DB9-BD45-689454D92499.jpeg

Hi ttrw2!

Seems the chargers aren't available anymore - https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-car-battery-charger/p/090030347442700

Not sure if that means it's temporarily unavailable or it's permanent. 

On my Touring, I also don't run a front plate holder, but I'm not so sure on the removeable stick on/off type ones as I know it'd be my luck it'll drop or fly off and then I'd get a ticket or something!

DSC_7206_zpsdx27xj70.jpg
DSC_7198_zpss3bvsrkj.jpg

Just thinking the route to take for displaying my plate!

Car is very seldom used currently through this CV19 situation much like yourself, so plenty of time to think of something!

Cheers, Dennis!

A static plate is what you need. I have one on one of my other cars and was wary of it coming off at motorway speeds, however it's surpassed that speed and more. Recommended. 

Show Plate | Static Plates

Awesome work as usual ttrw2.

C.