ttrw2

ttrw2's 2001 Le Mans Blue M5

Just read the thread from 2012 to date and wow some real insight into ownership of these amazing cars. Mine is the same colour but looking a tad tired now so going in for a detail soon.

Only just found this thread - brilliant from start to current day!

Thanks guys. 

It's nice to have her back. A great day today fiddling in the spring sunshine:

BFQYdm7.jpg

Gave her a thorough checkover, oil change and scrubbed out the arches/cleaned-up the suspension/checked running gear, then 30 mile blast round the block to remind myself how good these M5's are.  Last time I properly used her was 11 months ago to the day. Crazy.

Nuab35U.jpg

Check out that gleam! Time to put some miles on her again.

Cheers, 

Rob

Edited by ttrw2

On 24/03/2019 at 22:45, GStarrr said:

It looks brilliant Rob! Well done on bringing it back to an awesome standard. 

Thanks Grieg!

Had a couple of hours to myself today, gave her a wash and replaced the windscreen pipes - they'd become brittel with age and didn't survive when the bonnet came off for respraying.

Bnr6voG.jpg

DZdcRvs.jpg

Just waiting on a replacement grille to come through then she's all back together/complete. :)

The old washer pipework:

qcOxp7G.jpg?1

Thanks! Starting to put regular miles back on the car. In the time it was 'off the road' sorting the sills, brake lines, underside and respray I bought another car that I've become fond of so keeping both and splitting the mileage across the two - M5 will remain a daily, just not every day.

Photos after a thorough clean (still finding dusty nooks and crannies from the bodyshop):

EHGeGlB.jpg

sXHk2L7.jpg

Going to get the windscreen replaced this summer as it's noticeably chipped and worn from 170k miles of action. But first-up is it's MOT this month, I think she's done <500 miles since the last <_<

MOT time last week. Before hand I took the opportunity to get in to the arches and the underside and jetwash it all out - was a lovely hot day to do so:

B1Oa4vt.jpg

Arches always come up lovely and clean behind the linings - BC coilovers still doing well aside from spring coating peeling off.

fzq6Vsf.jpg

To the MOT station!

qngoqGz.jpg

And Boom! - all good bar a rear top wishbone balljoint that's got a tiny amount of play (one of the ones I replaced a couple of years ago, too...)

JYcsHVy.jpg

Yearly mileage has dropped dramatically - 15k, 12k, 10k, 6k then <600 miles in the last year whilst sorting the sills, bodywork, brake lines, etc. Looking forward to getting back in to her properly and using as the daily 

And today replaced the FSU/Hedgehog with a Meyle one - the heater fans were playing silly buggers occasionally as per the usual symptoms for these going.

I was sure I'd already replaced this before, but one that came out was original BMW/Valeo unit with 2001 datestamp on it. Must've been the Touring or previous M5 I replaced.

FyNaMFI.jpg

Unseasonably good weather at the moment and a free weekend resulted in a last minute dash to Ludlow for the Food Festival. Was nice to just chuck all the camping stuff in the M5 and cruise there and back again in e39 effortlessness.

AXShf7B.jpg

EYLxI27.jpg

s1Vj3pb.jpg

The quality of the finish of the paint sees me looking back time and again - feels like having a new car.

f6GGcPm.jpg

Now the mornings are getting darker/chillier I've contemplated clearing space in the garage to go away at night on the shittier winter days. But nah, she'll be staying out and getting used all year round.

TbPjvns.jpg

Cheers

Edited by ttrw2

11 hours ago, ttrw2 said:

Unseasonably good weather at the moment and a free weekend resulted in a last minute dash to Ludlow for the Food Festival. Was nice to just chuck all the camping stuff in the M5 and cruise there and back again in e39 effortlessness.

AXShf7B.jpg

EYLxI27.jpg

s1Vj3pb.jpg

The quality of the finish of the paint sees me looking back time and again - feels like having a new car.

f6GGcPm.jpg

Now the mornings are getting darker/chillier I've contemplated clearing space in the garage to go away at night on the shittier winter days. But nah, she'll be staying out and getting used all year round.

TbPjvns.jpg

Cheers

Perfectly packed for camping that :) 

It's well managed and maintained; it'd be a shame to not use it because of the weather... Give it a good clean and wax and hopefully it'll see it through the darker months fine :)

I tend to wash and wax mine before winter really kicks in, the wheels too (even though they'll be winter alloys & tyres) and then mainly I keep the wheels clean and wash the car when it really needs it. It's generally sods law that'll I'll go to town on cleaning it and then it lashes it down for weeks after that and it's filthy as soon as I move it :roll: :lol: 

Xmas 2019

Trip back to the 'shire to see the parents for Christmas, and the annual opportunity to use my Dad's workshop/lift.

Looking back at the car's use, she's back in to the everyday slug and my commute these days is a series of Oxfordshire B-roads. These are narrow, wrecked, unlit, unmarked and used by lots of agricultural vehicles. Fantastic in the summer, but this time of year caked in mud, crap and quite often have to take to a verge to let someone past or you have no choice in avoiding the pothole you see at the last moment. Coupled with this, my girlfriend drives the car too and she has no mechanical sympathy whatsoever.

So I decided to return to standard suspension and rideheight all round - i.e. as it came from the factory.  These are not cheap, particularly when you add up the cost of all the paraphernalia required like top mounts, rubber buffers, etc etc so I went for OE shocks from BMW and Meyle/Lemforder/Febi-Bilstein elsewhere.

Assembling them took a morning, mainly because of the internal rebound spring in the Sachs shocks that means in its resting state the damper shaft is retracted, so you have to compress the main spring a lot further with spring compressors to get the top mount on.

All four built-up:

9jFn7Q1.jpg

XmAjBJk.jpg

bTQpMEB.jpg

Then up on the ramps ready for the attack! Looking back this is becoming a familiar picture for this car over the years on this thread...

XMROkxx.jpg

The wheelarch of a well-used car this time of year.  The coilovers come up really well with a scrub, been very impressed with the build quality of them.

cRccAnE.jpg

C8vKOVF.jpg

New OE strut back on. Also decided to replace the subframe bushes as these are original and 172k miles old. To do so I bought the proper tool as I couldn't find anywhere that rents-out the Saloon tool and the cheapy eBay offerings didn't look manly enough to me.

JJwwC2Q.jpg

R7XXw5S.jpg

Eat, sleep, e39, repeat - then back down, test drive and a wash of top and bottom and ready for the trip home on Boxing Day.

aXXLCHY.jpg

Returning to new OEM suspension from coilovers brought with it a small reduction in noise, increased isolation from sudden bumps but no real change to the car's handling TBH - I always thought the BC's had good damping qualities and I'd chosen the 8k/6k springs to be as close to standard as possible. The main improvement will come on the B-roads I think, where coilovers are too compromised to work well.

180+ miles later and not far from home, she conked-out and I freewheeled to a halt in a handy industrial estate entrance to find the fuel pump relay had given up.

OwuQvO8.jpg

5ZbqxFt.jpg

Stripping down the relay showed an electronic circuitboard, not something to I could fix at the roadside so a tow was in order.

dJn08YJ.jpg

The first time she's let me down in 7-8yrs!

Great job on the suspension. I’m a huge fan of the Sachs Sport spec dampers with the Eibach pro kit springs I fitted. The OEM Mtech II springs are great, but the Eibach’s offer a better drop/ride height IMO.

Like you mentioned, a sod to fit the springs as you’ve to really compress them and it’s seriously nerve wracking! The fronts especially due to their shape!

Must be great to have such a good workshop to use ;) 

Good to see the M5 back resuming normal service Rob. Although not so good to have a break down on the way home. Hope you source a new relay with no probs. 

3 hours ago, ttrw2 said:

Thanks chaps.

Picked-up a new relay over weekend but this hasn't solved problem. Check all wiring and connections to fuel pump, looks like that's gone so ordered a replacement. Watch this space!

Get a new fuel filter whilst you're at it, old pump is likely to have been working hard to push fuel through the old filter; though I can imagine you've changed the fuel filter as part of normal servicing, still, not a bad thing to do.

Thanks Ger, yeah filter's not that old.

Replaced fuel pump today and all is fixed/normal service is resumed. 

Went for a Pierburg as that's what came out. Part supplied in a sealed Pierburg box is branded 'Ti Automotive'.

zlQmZeL.jpg

TbI7KBa.jpg

0uvkjSo.jpg

Will replace the fuel filter shortly to mitigate any dirt that may have got in whilst changing pump.

Cheers, Rob

Headlight projector upgrade

In 2014 I bought some aftermarket bi-xenon projector units to upgrade the headlights on the M5 as I've always thought the facelift xenon headlights in the e39 to be cack - my previous M5's pre-facelift lights were much better (larger, better quality reflector bowls behind the projector lense). 

Back then the only decent quality aftermarket RHD projectors available on the market were Morimoto FXR-3.0 from retrofitsource in the USA, which I duly bought, then in true style have sat on the shelf since:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/projectors/bi-xenon-morimoto-fx-r-3-0.html

aca01.jpg

Added bonus of these units is they have a 12v switched solenoid that operates the shutter to switch from dipped to high-beam, i.e. they're "bi-xenon".

Last week I finally got round to fitting them to a spare pair of headlights I bought recently to complete the project. I stripped these down to the headlamp chassis (bake lenses off, remove angel eyes, remove vanity shroud, pop height adjusters off), then removed the standard OE projector and binned them off:

tOP0bcb.jpg

MTYeBrj.jpg

hiW4ysw.jpg

The Morimoto projectors have a different hole spacing arrangement so to fit them to the e39 headlamp chassis I made-up some cardboard templates and transferred this shape on to some 3mm carbon flatstock:

uovIbHx.jpg

8i0V5sV.jpg

(4 adaptors needed - upper and lower for each side)

Then fitted the new projectors using M4 and M5 nuts and bolts I had lying around:

jA4oseO.jpg

And et voila! - the largest, best quality aftermarket projector I could find, assembled on to a e39 facelift light chassis.  Headlights will go back together once some new lenses turn up next week, at which point I will report back with results.

QQGahuJ.jpg

Edited by ttrw2

I think only the very last of the e39 headlights Dunc. These opened up fine after a light baking.

This weekend I removed the below bracket. Anyone who knows e39 M5 will know what it is, and what it means....

0GsSR3L.jpg

Intake cam sensor on bank 2. This is a royal arsehole of a job; unless you're a surgeon who does regular keyhole work. The above bracket supports the main loom that runs across the back of the engine, in doing so it blocks access to the cam position sensor so has to come off. There is naff all room to work due to heater pipes, fuel supply lines to fuel rails, etc etc. Plus it's all down the back of the engine so you have to work with mirror/torch and feel your way around.

Symptons were the occasional EML light on and loss of torque. A reset on the go with the Ultragauge cleared it for a few more drives. Hooking up INPA when the fault was active confirmed the culprit:

yxDPdEu.jpg

I have massive hands so removed the plenum cover for a bit of extra room. Wanted to do this anyway to have a visual check of how much oil was in there, the engine's done 171k miles so any blowby would be obvious. All looked well:

HpuTmma.jpg

Took 2-3hrs to do the job start to finish. Onwards and upwards!