Sign in to follow this  
trenchy24

Cleaned MAF....?

Reset both Cons1 & Cons2 before setting off on a 60 mile round trip and when i got home i checked the results. I have recently cleaned the MAF so im thinking this has helped.

mpg-1.jpg

Rather happy with that.

Considering the average was 29-30 before cleaning the MAF im hoping that this 40ish will continue. (depending upon my right foot of course)

Might not have to splash out for a new MAF now!

Chris

Be careful chaps. I know many a sole that has done this and royally f*cked it up. The MAF is a very fragile thing.. I understood that its only a big gain on the Diesels? I have cleaned mine a few times and it makes no difference..

Hmmm....I've been told it would be worth giving mine a clean by a BMW technician - my car is down on power and they reckon it might be this but only way to test is to plug in a new MAF for a before and after test.

How dodgy are we talking here?

Might try the vanos update first...

All I did was unscrew the two security screws and pull out the sensor. Sprayed it with some Carb cleaner and bolted it back in!

I was working on the theory if it was already f**ked what harm was I gunna do...saved me the 130 notes for a new one...at least for now!

Chris