Sign in to follow this  
ducklordthefirst

maybe not everyones cup of tea....

Hideous is a word that springs to mind! It is, within reason quite possible, to tell the age of an e28 owner by their taste in wheels, the bigger and more hideous the wheel the younger the owner, e28's are not suited either technically or aesthetically to ridiculously oversized wheels, which for some reason seems to be the most popular subject on this Forum.

Jason I dont think they look to bad, that is a huge dish on the rear! Do you get any rubbing? My new 525i rubs with 16's on.

Baveria30si, come on give people a break, if we all had identical tastes then the E28 world would be rather boring wouldn't it!

Take it easy mr Baveria. Pictured alloys - Borbet type A are only 16 inches big, as you know there was one model of e28 produced and supplied with exactly the same size of alloys - BBS RZ's. Yes, for e28 M5.

Borbets were introduced in 1987 so periodicaly speaking they are absolutely fine with e28s.

I have to agree however that anything bigger then 16" on these cars is slightly speaking not responsible.

I like them btw!

Mr Lord, how's deflector?

We could have a poll for the fun of it, maybe divided into two age groups, the 17 to 30 yrs of age, and 30yrs of age upwards, and ascertain which group has the most takers for ridiculously oversized unsuitable wheels, my money is on the younger group.

With reference to the identical taste issue as raised by Leon, we all have e28's, identical taste or what, the groups of owners are set apart by the very unidentical taste in unsuitably oversized wheels, the e28 is a difficult car to personalise other than in the wheel department, but there are plenty of suitable choices without the nasty bling options more suited to something one might observe cruising the streets of south central Los Angeles full of gansters.

I'm a relative youngster, and I hate anything that isn't cross spokes on E28's :P

BTW, those Borbets are not the worst wheels I've seen on an E28, they just aren't my bag.

I must take my 'oversized' 17" style 5's off then... but then again i'm only young! ;)

'orses for courses in it! personally i feel anything over 17" is a step to far and even in 16" i'm not feeling the love of the borbets :oops:

Cool, what size are they, i've just bought a very similar set for my 520i, haven't got round to fitting them yet, they look good. I think they're in keeping with the era of e28s. Good choice!

16's,7.5J fronts,9J rears icon_mrgreen.gif

Take it easy mr Baveria. Pictured alloys - Borbet type A are only 16 inches big, as you know there was one model of e28 produced and supplied with exactly the same size of alloys - BBS RZ's. Yes, for e28 M5.

Borbets were introduced in 1987 so periodicaly speaking they are absolutely fine with e28s.

I have to agree however that anything bigger then 16" on these cars is slightly speaking not responsible.

I like them btw!

Mr Lord, how's deflector?

onto it tomorow Zac,been away all week

its a 'EGR' ?! definately not OEM

Jason I dont think they look to bad, that is a huge dish on the rear! Do you get any rubbing? My new 525i rubs with 16's on.

Baveria30si, come on give people a break, if we all had identical tastes then the E28 world would be rather boring wouldn't it!

had to trim the arch a little ;-)

how old is Bavaria..????

sounds grumpier than my old man!

get the age poll on the go,too funny icon_razz.gif

I can't quite tell how bitter the bitchin' is! People have reinforced what I hinted at though, this design and size of wheel would have been a period modification. Something has to go between the axle and the tyre, and if it makes people look and take notice of a car then that's a good thing in my book.

They're good quality, not too heavy, not too big, easy to clean, and the OP likes them. On top of all that, if they're kept in good condition I think they'll hold thier value quite well.

Great conversation everyone, my view on it is they aren't the worse 'aftermarket' wheels I've seen, but then I'm pretty much as OEM as you can get. Bavaria makes a good point, the older you get, the more likely you are to subscribe to the Daily Ma... sorry I mean go for original looks.

For years I've coveted the E28 Alpina big spoiler look, now I have it at the grand old age of 37 I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed by that huge front spoiler!

Great conversation everyone, my view on it is they aren't the worse 'aftermarket' wheels I've seen, but then I'm pretty much as OEM as you can get. Bavaria makes a good point, the older you get, the more likely you are to subscribe to the Daily Ma... sorry I mean go for original looks.

For years I've coveted the E28 Alpina big spoiler look, now I have it at the grand old age of 37 I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed by that huge front spoiler!

yep,lovin the banter ^^^

feeling younger than my years by the sound of things,maybee I'll be looking for some stickers and tasstles next ;-)

I like them. Looks like something 'Brabus' would use as wheels if they tuned 80's BMW's.

I've got 17's and 16's (nearly) and I'm in the 30+ group at 33.

But I don't think it's the actual size that causes affront it's the design. Borbet's aren't a subtle design so they provoke opinions, where as like ZackPL pointed out 'cross spokes' in the exact same size are pure OEM and no-one would have had anything to say.

feeling younger than my years by the sound of things,maybee I'll be looking for some stickers and tasstles next icon_wink.gif

Sticker bomb the front wing, rust the bonnet, chop springs and bump stops, hang a fluffy toy off the exhaust and paint the roof with hammerite.

It's a guaranteed way to cause outrage laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by Tref

I like them. Looks like something 'Brabus' would use as wheels if they tuned 80's BMW.

I've got 17's and 16's (nearly) and I'm in the 30+ group.

But I don't think it's the actual size that causes affront it's the design. Borbet's aren't a subtle design so they provoke opinions, where as like ZackPL pointed out 'cross spokes' in the exact same size are pure OEM and no-one would have had anything to say.

cheers Tref

the cross spokes will be going back on,these are really for a M535 I have

it needs some work tho first

Interesting response to this thread, the original post was a little tongue in cheek, an undertone of uncertainty, as to whether or not these wheels would be well received, the result is as expected, "mixed". As such ,the Forum is working as a forum should, with a mixture of points of view, and varied opinions.

A number of salient points have been raised, some aimed in my direction, i have no trouble with those points, as I am in disagreement this is a natural process, these points i will retort to thus;

Am I a grumpy old sod? Abso-bloody-lutely, it is an art i have almost honed to perfection over the years, woe betide anybody i hear using mobile phones or personal stereo's or other intrusively loud equipment in the quiet zone on a train, etc etc. Yes, I am of an age, i am in the over thirty group, i arrived on this planet in the mid 1950's.

To the gentleman who was concerned about the seriousnes of the "bitching" he needs a couple of days at the reading between the lines School, of course it is not serious, not from myself anyway, i cant speak for others, personally i could not give a toss what wheels people fit to their cars or what ridiculous modifications they carry out with a disc cutter to their suspension, or to their arches, bad move that, roll them, dont butcher them, ruins the integrity of the arch, and devalues the car.

I am very well aware that 16" BBS wheels were fitted to the e28 M5, but they did not fit e28 520i suspension and brakes to the M5, the car was a balanced package, with upgrades in the relevant areas.

I have no idea when the hideous Borbets came into being, but i would not think many, if any, e28 owners in 1987 would have fitted them to an e28, which was being phased out at that time, not a period mod, at best it might be a retro mod, but still horrid.

I commend the younger members and their interest and perseverance in buying running and maintaining these cars, and doubtless they will learn in time by their mistakes, the strongest point of a chain is it's weakest link etc. big wheels put strain on other components, wheel bearings, suspension components , there is an optimum compromise, something technicians at BMW spent huge sums of money achieving, i wonder how many younger members that have taken a disc cutter to their front springs, or sustituted long springs for short, wil have though to reset the upper and lower arms to suit the new ride height, not many, they will doubtless be surprised when the bushes all expire 10 minutes later.

There is a lot of truth in the adage that "Age and treachery win over youth and beauty" nuff from me.

Interesting response to this thread, the original post was a little tongue in cheek, an undertone of uncertainty, as to whether or not these wheels would be well received, the result is as expected, "mixed". As such ,the Forum is working as a forum should, with a mixture of points of view, and varied opinions.

A number of salient points have been raised, some aimed in my direction, i have no trouble with those points, as I am in disagreement this is a natural process, these points i will retort to thus;

Am I a grumpy old sod? Abso-bloody-lutely, it is an art i have almost honed to perfection over the years, woe betide anybody i hear using mobile phones or personal stereo's or other intrusively loud equipment in the quiet zone on a train, etc etc. Yes, I am of an age, i am in the over thirty group, i arrived on this planet in the mid 1950's.

To the gentleman who was concerned about the seriousnes of the "bitching" he needs a couple of days at the reading between the lines School, of course it is not serious, not from myself anyway, i cant speak for others, personally i could not give a toss what wheels people fit to their cars or what ridiculous modifications they carry out with a disc cutter to their suspension, or to their arches, bad move that, roll them, dont butcher them, ruins the integrity of the arch, and devalues the car.

I am very well aware that 16" BBS wheels were fitted to the e28 M5, but they did not fit e28 520i suspension and brakes to the M5, the car was a balanced package, with upgrades in the relevant areas.

I have no idea when the hideous Borbets came into being, but i would not think many, if any, e28 owners in 1987 would have fitted them to an e28, which was being phased out at that time, not a period mod, at best it might be a retro mod, but still horrid.

I commend the younger members and their interest and perseverance in buying running and maintaining these cars, and doubtless they will learn in time by their mistakes, the strongest point of a chain is it's weakest link etc. big wheels put strain on other components, wheel bearings, suspension components , there is an optimum compromise, something technicians at BMW spent huge sums of money achieving, i wonder how many younger members that have taken a disc cutter to their front springs, or sustituted long springs for short, wil have though to reset the upper and lower arms to suit the new ride height, not many, they will doubtless be surprised when the bushes all expire 10 minutes later.

There is a lot of truth in the adage that "Age and treachery win over youth and beauty" nuff from me.

well put y'grumpy old sod ;-)

snip

Sadly a thorough understanding of engineering principles and a methodical approach to applying them in pureist upgrades to classic cars..... WILL NOT convince girls in carparks to become intimate with you... Flash wheels on the other hand wink.png

The more experienced members have already moved onto the more subtle ways to attract the mature Lady... Fine wines, belgium chocolates, large bank balances laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by Tref

I quite like them Jason, not a personal favourite, but not bad.

It is, within reason quite possible, to tell the age of an e28 owner by their taste in wheels, the bigger and more hideous the wheel the younger the owner...

Surely if the age of an e28 owner is inversely proportional to the hideousness of the wheels fitted to their car, then the owners of e28s fitted with the original 535/m535 dustbin lid metrics must all be very young? icon_razz.gif

post-39584-0-45234500-1327680998.jpg

---------------------WORLD'S MOST HIDEOUS WHEEL DESIGN-------------------------

...i could not give a toss what wheels people fit to their cars or what ridiculous modifications they carry out with a disc cutter to their suspension, or to their arches, bad move that, roll them, dont butcher them, ruins the integrity of the arch, and devalues the car.

I think trimming the arches a far more elegant solution than rolling them, for the reasons Shawn cites at the bottom of the page here: http://www.scrappycr...heelstires.html