chrisjx

Diagnostic Reader

Sorry guys I know this subject has been done to death, (I've read so many threads now, I'm worse than when I started!).........so to get the best, (for a relative layman to use) should I go for the first type below or the second?

Thanks lots in advance

Chris.........god I love my V8 :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Ediabas-Inpa-OBD2-Diagnostic-Interface-SCANNER-E46-E39-E52-E53-E60-E87-E90-/250935661387?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3a6cee534b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Code-Diagnostic-Reader-Scanner-BMW-E39-E46-E60-E63-/290685702475?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item43ae37d14b

Contact 'jimmy' on this forum, he sells excellent software (INPA + DIS) and a usb cable interface for £30ish

Yep, I've got to echo the responses above.

Jimmy will get you a USB version of the top cable, which will do everything.

The second handheld version will only cover petrol BMWs after 2001 and Diesels after 2004.

Sometimes there is a few lucky cars like the E39 M5 which would work, or some 2000 318i's, but generally they miss more than they hit.

I went for the second option, almost the same model. Simply dont fancy dragging my laptop out when I just want to read codes. My reader sits on the shelf in the garage. You simply sit in the drivers seat. Plug in. Switch on. Read the codes ... done.

What I have noticed though, perhaps I missed it, was the fact that the model you are looking at only gives you the codes. It does not tell you what those codes mean. So if it comes up with the number P0090 etc do you know what that means, or will you have to look that code up in a book? I will look out the model I have for you to show you the difference.

Just found this one. click here to see it You will see on the advert what I am on about. It not only tells you what the code is but what it means. Mine did not cost as much as the one I am showing you. There are cheaper ones on the market, (ebay?) that do the same thing.

Hope this helps and does not confuse too much!

Another one this one says it clears the codes too.

This is the closest one to the one I have. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item33666da052

One last point. The Autel ones I have seen, and the one I use, do not need batteries. They take the small amount of power they use from the diagnostic port. So no going out to the garage only to find you have to nick batteries from the Mrs. tv remote control!

Edited by frankc

Gonna give Jimmy a PM, I'm going to try and sourse one that will talk to all modules rather than just engine if I can, (dependant on price though :? ).

I got one or two little issues with the 535 that could do with being sussed before I go out and buy the parts required -

fuel gauge don't work, even though one sender HAS been changed prior to my ownership - probably the wrong one!

and got the annoying stall sometimes straight after start up - sensor somewhere, so need to know which one.