Sign in to follow this  
WNeill

Mazda RX-8 Oil Filter stuck

I set about changing my oil today on the RX-8, drained the sump, went to get the oil filter off and it was jammed, tried to get a firm grip, but I couldn't really get any purchase on it.

So off to halfords for a chain type filter wrench, it broke, but not before crushing the filter a but. So I got a different type chain wrench, the handle makes that unusable as there is no room.

Ive searhed the net and the soloution seems to be the worst possible scenario, screwdiver through the filter, which will of course lead to oil everywhere, then I may need to chisel the damn thing.

Please tell me there is another way, Im sooooooo frustrated. I now have my Rex with no engine oil and a damaged filter

Grrrrrrr

Happens a bit I am afraid, usually because the previous monkey (appologies if you were the last to change the oil filter) has either over tightened it, not oiled the rubber gasket before fitting the new one or both.

I have come across this a fair few times. Screwdriver through can work, but the last one I did like that started to just tear the filter apart, we ended up tig welding the driver to the filter.

I have one of these as well,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-LEG-2-WAY-OIL-FUEL-FILTER-WRENCH-63-102MM-DUAL-DRIVE-REMOVAL-TOOL-REMOVER-/390385124460?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5ae4c4446c

All though not that one as it smacks of cheap Chinese tosh. Usually works, although the last one I did, an '08 polo, I ended up having the 3/4 inch breaker bar hanging off it. the joys of modern cars

Thanks Tims, what about the cap wrench things Ive seen? Although the one you pointed at on ebay seems a better concept.

Im so bloody frustrated, I feel so freekin dumb that I can't get a filter off. I didnt do the last oil change, that was the professionals at Mazda dealer in Inverness

Ive got a K&N replacement, so will not have the problem in the future

Edited by WNeill

Never used a cap wrench, but my gut reaction is that because the filter is now deformed it is not going to grab that well. Also, looking at it, the depth of the cap wrench teeth, for want of a better world, are not that deep and "grippy".

Get one of what I linked to, but make sure you can use at least a 1/2 inch drive on it, you could have to put a fair bit of torque through it. Makes me appreciate the M30's canister approach, they might be a little messy, but no problems

Ive see a Draper one, 1/2 inch wrench, I think I'll just order it as I know Halfords will not stock something like that

In this situation, patience is going to be a virtue.

It is annoying and frustrating, but cocking it up at this stage could leave you with an RX-8 block, with half an oil filter attached and the only way to get at it is to remove alot of Mazdas' finest engineering, plus you can not move the damn thing to a mates lift/workshop. Then you need to do it on the front drive, it biblically rains when you need to do the job, so a lovely rainbow of oil haze is running down your drive, you then put a hole through something important whilst hanging off a breaker bar and using using military grade language. Added to this the bonnet will now not go back on square and the lass wants to go shopping, "NOW". Added to this Great Uncle Billy turns up wanting the widget out of the garage for the first time this decade, whilst the car is up on ramps slammed against the garage up and over door. All this is going on and next door are tutting that again you have a hulking car in pieces in their lovely crescent, bringing down the house prices and you will never be invited to their fondu soirees again.

All this, because you thought the local garage was going to charge 30 notes to do a filter change. Now that looks the best value since some American said sure, I will buy Tower Bridge for 40 squillion, and yes please, I will pay for all the expenses.

Patience is not one of my many virtues :D

The reason I choose to do it is because of the concept of self satisfaction, which seems like a far off dream at the moment.

The previous owner went with the idea of paying the professionals at Mazda, look what a great job they did, thats if they even changed the filter.

Ive had my dinner now, Ive ordered the magical tool and will easily pop the filter off during the week, fill the Rex with Fuchs Titan XTR 5w30 and enjoy the rest of my week, as you can tell, im an optomist :D

I had it on a spin on fuel filter on my Toyota, I had to unbolt the whole filter assembly put it in a vice and put a pair of 36" stilsons on the filter as near to the top as possible which didn't crumple as easy. Written on the filter "Hand tighten only"