Fresh

MPG through the floor!

Well......just had my main engine thermostat changed due to all the advice on here and plumeting MPG (18 round town/30 on a run if i'm lucky!!!), but no change.........

My car still takes an age to 'luke warm' up (!!) and even after all day running never has less than 9 marks showing on the temp gauge.

Whats this EGR thermostat? Could that be the problem? What MPG should i expect, as to be honest never seen much more than 26 in town and 32-34 on a run, and i'm not a F1 driver by any stretch of the imagination!

Hope someone can help?

Although I'm in an E39 530D auto, I easily do over 30mpg pottering around, and over 40mpg on a decent run, so I think you defintely have a problem somewhere, especially if your driving style is not agressive.

Not much help in resolution, but gives you something to aim for :)

Car is a 2005 525d e61 M Sport.

EGR? Please explain what this is/what it does?

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, it has a thermostat within it and this will need changing. Easy job and the stat costs about £35. when you say 9 points are you referring to the rev counter, that's not really a temperature gauge. You need to check the hidden menu for your temperature, ( Search on forum for hidden menu) temp should be around 90C.

You should be getting around 28-32mpg round town and 40-45mpg on a run.

There is something seriously wrong if you are getting that kind of mileage, even the thermostats I don't think would get you figures that low, I certainly don't go lower than 25mpg.

Are you looking at the computers read out? Check the old fashion way by working it out.

Have you noticed any exhaust fumes in the cabin whilst the car is at a standstill?

I had a cracked exhaust manifold and when i had it changed last year the mpg shot right up.

martin

@Jimmy - I assume the "swap" question was aimed at me?

I also need the Touring and I'm partial to auto boxes as well, so no deal I'm afraid :(

Nice try though :)

Possible diesel leak? My mpg dropped and then i noticed a diesel smell coming through the air vents which prompted me to check under the bonnet.

Just wondering if you have a leaky injector or injector pipe, probably an idea to get it looked at by a dealer or good Independent and get any codes read.

-_- ....

Gonna check how hot mine gets when Im out tonight as mine takes a while to get warm

there's that many how hot its supposed to run its confusing!!

Gonna check how hot mine gets when Im out tonight as mine takes a while to get warm

there's that many how hot its supposed to run its confusing!!

The stats are set at 88C so it should run at least that temperature and preferably a bit higher, 90-92C is ideal.