Piper

Help! I'm in deep! Steering lock stuck and windows down

Oh my god. This is a joke. I'm in the 523i, both windows are down as I was replacing a part in the door, came to start the car up again, and the key won't turn in the barrel, it seems the steering lock is on and just won't budge!!!

Oh feck, what If it rains! Gonna bung some wd40 in there to see if it will shift it. It's Saturday pm, no garages open....this is a nightmare

Well the WD40 trick hasn';t worked.

What the fuck do I do now! Can't even start the car to take it to a garage

Why do I have so much bad luck with cars.

Edited by Piper

Tried cranking the steering wheel as hard as you can to the left or right then turning the key? Sometimes helps disengage the steering lock which should normally be done when turning the key... I found it happened quite often on my E46 and meant you couldn't turn the key in the ignition until you found the 'sweet spot'. Happened more so when I didn't have the wheels straight when parking.

cant remember if yours is an auto Piper ?

I fit is could it be the interlock between the ignition barrel and the shift mechanism > t stops the stick moving without the ign on and can stop the stick going in at all if it stretches but I dont know if it can have the same effect the othr way around ?

Cheers Ray, replied.

Lads, I've wriggled and jiggled the bastard for ages. Stick won't budge. Bollocks bollocks bollocks.

Remove the following:

steering column cowling

steering wheel

indicator & wiper stalks

spring clip on steering shaft (green blob)

two sheer bolts from top of IGN housing (blue blob)

gear selector lock (red blob)

e23e8b3d-1.jpg

Edited by Raymond

Blimey. So the little thing that's stopping the steering lock from coming off - is that part of the barrel? ie, will I have to buy a new barrel from the stealer?

Sometimes the bit (blue arrow in pict in PM) snaps in half which can cause this too. I have one here if it is that.

If it is the barrel you can get it from the dealer with your logbook for 50 quid or so. Problem is is getting the barrel out as the key needs to be in position 1 to remove it....

Dealer told me that 5 times out of ten they just replace the whole housing because that's the only way round it sometimes.

I have a housing here if you want it but is from a 2000 M5 so needs the gearbox lock hole drilling out. Also make sure yours has the later slipping thing as the housing is different.

So if I remove the assembly and the bit hasn't snapped in half then it's the barrel.

If it has snapped then I don't need a new barrel?

Just to add, if you have put WD40 in the barrel then it is 95% unservicable. WD wrecks barrels like you would not beleave.

@Ray i keep trying to wipe that bug off my screen. lol.

How did you get on with this?

I am in a similar position with my steering lock stuck on - so I cannot start or move the car!

Any advice/ tips will be appreciated!

I had a problem with my steering lock getting jammed on. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the casing of the lock, and a little spring popped out. It fixes it, but means you have no steering lock at all. Its a bit extreme but a possibility if you're desperate. 

Edited by Grahamr123

I have now removed the ignition barrel housing, to reveal that the internal parts of the steering lock have snapped. 

Grahamr123: Thank you for the advice. After removing the assembly I can see how drilling would release the steering lock.

The problem I now have is that I cannot remove the ignition barrel from the housing!  I have seen various guides and images both on this forum and other websites so I know how the barrel has to come out, but I just cannot seem to remove it!