MANDER

Need help with resetting service indicator

As Above i've tried this method but it didnt work :( any help?

BMW insp. reset

- Iginition OFF (POS 0)

- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)

- Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or "Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display

- *Note: On vehicles with "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel (in litres) remaining until next service

- Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until "Reset" or "Re" flashes

- While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see "END SIA" for about 2 secs.

Note that if the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset

Its a 525i 2001

Edited by MANDER

Bal, here is a slightly more detailed procedure

1. Get in the car, close the door, buckle the seatbelt.
  2. Push in the clutch pedal and hold it to the floor
  3. Press the left hand dash button (the one that resets your odometer) and hold it down
  4. Put the ignition key in the key slot, and turn it gently (very gently) until the dashboard lights come on - the key will not click - if it clicks you've gone too far and you have to start again. Hold the key in this position. In five seconds or so, the dash will display "SIA" and some other characters. Do not proceed until this happens.
  5. Release the dash button (and only the dashboard button) and then press and hold it again. In another 5 seconds or so the display should begin to flash "RESET?" Do not proceed until this happens.
  6. Release the dash button and push it again to confirm. You won't need to hold it - the display should change immediately and your service indicator will display five green LED's.

(Thanks to greg at M5Board)

Mander, if that doesn't work let me know and I will go through the procedure with you as detailed in a well-known service and repair manual, as there are specific procedures for pre- and post-2000 cars, and also for resetting oil/inspection and brake fluid service lights together, oil/inspection light only or brake fluid service light only, depending on where you are in the service cycle.

I have reset both lights on my car ('04 525i) using this and it has worked every time.

Have you tried the old trick with the diagnostic port under the bonnet? Or does that not work with 2001 models?

2001 models no longer have the 20 pin connector.

Just the OBD one under the dash.

The procedure didn't work the 1st 3 times I tried it, but I must have held my mouth right the last time. Not sure what I did different though!

Thanks Willie worked first time ;)

lildonut thanks... i've never had an renew brake fluid light before :?

Russ got couple of them lying around but they dont have the option for resetting service light

lildonut thanks... i've never had an renew brake fluid light before :?

No worries - brake fluid service light looks like a little clock inside a square (assuming you have Low OBC like mine) and comes up on a time based interval rather than mileage. According to the BMW schedule, brake fluid should be done every 2 years, so it depends on how long you have had the car and when it was last changed (or the light reset anyway :? ) as to when it will next come up.

• Get in the car, close the door, buckle the seatbelt.
  • Push in the clutch pedal and hold it to the floor
  • Press the left hand dash button (the one that resets your odometer) and hold it down
  • Put the ignition key in the key slot, and turn it gently (very gently) until the dashboard lights come on - the key will not click - if it clicks you've gone too far and you have to start again. Hold the key in this position. In five seconds or so, the dash will display "SIA" and some other characters. Do not proceed until this happens.
  • Release the dash button (and only the dashboard button) and then press and hold it again. In another 5 seconds or so the display should begin to flash "RESET?" Do not proceed until this happens.
  • Release the dash button and push it again to confirm. You won't need to hold it - the display should change immediately and your service indicator will display five green LED's.

• Get in the car, close the door, buckle the seatbelt.
  • Push in the clutch pedal and hold it to the floor
  • Press the left hand dash button (the one that resets your odometer) and hold it down
  • Put the ignition key in the key slot, and turn it gently (very gently) until the dashboard lights come on - the key will not click - if it clicks you've gone too far and you have to start again. Hold the key in this position. In five seconds or so, the dash will display "SIA" and some other characters. Do not proceed until this happens.
  • Release the dash button (and only the dashboard button) and then press and hold it again. In another 5 seconds or so the display should begin to flash "RESET?" Do not proceed until this happens.
  • Release the dash button and push it again to confirm. You won't need to hold it - the display should change immediately and your service indicator will display five green LED's.
Yup I tried this today and it worked perfectly on my E39 530i 2001 auto transmission. But instead of clutch I stepped on the brakes. Followed the exact step above instead of the whole dash lighting up only the service indicator light came on after confirming the 5 LED display came on. Thanks a million really awesome. Edited by Red39