Bill_B

Heater only heats the passenger side :(

Noticed this morning that my heater vents for the screen and others as far as I can tell are only getting hot on the passenger side. The passenger side can be absolutely toasty and clear while the drivers side is still blowing cold whatever I do...

any ideas?

Didn't seem to help things, I'll have a look at the electrical side of it next and see if that is working.

Any other suggestions are welcome though... its not the weather for a lack of heating.

heater control valve, random air lock, theres a chance the thermistor has gone worng, but never heard of it tbh

i have the opposite, my drivers side is stuck full hot all the time lol

When you say it didn't help, have you tried all the suggestions in the link?

Obvious to check coolant level is correct.

When you select from full cold to full hot have a listen over in the passenger side and you should hear the valves ticking as they operate.

I'd expect trouble somewhere with the valves, so your plan to investigate more there is probably best for now.

Do you have Climate Control (IHKA in BMW-speak) or just the rotary dials?

Climate Control has many more automatic aspects (i.e. lots of motors for lots of flaps!) so it may be a lack of airflow rather than hot water flow.

There is a a good bit of info on IHKA here: http://bmwe32.massco.../ihka/ihka.html

Coolant level is fine and checked weekly,

I'm struggling to hear the valves ticking, any advice on making that easy, I assume I need the engine running to have the coolant circulating to hear them.

I just have the simple rotary dials, no aircon or anything fancy.

Airflow seems fine and once you get the engine up to temp I get warm air out of the drivers side but never anything hot.

I've got the Fluke scopemeter from work so I hope to check the electrical signals going to the valves this weekend.

Edited by Bill_B

Well I tried energising the solenoids on the heater control valve manually and one side clicks nicely and the other doesn't an no amount of 'percussive maintainance' seemed to help so I'll replace that this week.