lunball lunan

520d oil change, what oil to buy if i diy?

Was wanting to change the oil in my 520d m sport 2007 and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of decent oil which wont break the bank.

After a lot of research i keep coming back to mobil1 esp formula 5w 30 but come on at the price of it plus you need an extra 1 litre to top up over minimum the price is crazy just for a mid service oil change.

Anybody got any alternatives to put in that are just as good but dont cost stupid money?

going to buy bmw filter and diy it.

Also looking at servicing at bmw garage is a bit steep as i got a major service for my vw touareg 2.5 tdi done at vw garage for £270 not long ago and bmw want not far of this for a minor for a 2.0d

Call opie oils for a recommendation. You can either stick the long life rated oil in it (LL04?) or put the correct grade non long life in it and do annual changes. When I phoned a few weeks ago I got some gulf full ester synthetic oil for an excellent price.

Have you considered taking it to National Tyres?

I've read a few threads from people that have had oil change done there and were happy that the oil was the correct Castrol grade, that it was done properly and cheaper than you could buy the oil for. They have a website, just type in National Tyres oil change, that you can enter your car reg and it comes back with all the details such as oil type, quantity and price. My 535d was £71.00 so I think I will give them a try for an intermediate change.

Edited to add link.

http://www.national.co.uk/oil-vehicle-search.aspx

Edited by MMT

Cheers for that just done it and they say castrol edge 5w 30 fully synthetic for my car.

Will this oil be ok?

I am making a point of checking the type of oil that goes in as ive had problems in the past with cars and wrong oil and dont want future issues.

Phoned one of my indys for a quote and when I asked them what oil they use they said quantum 5w30, is that not audi/vw orientated?

OK talking to a mate of mine yesterday, he said Castrol is not as good as it used to be and is living on it's name. He reckons Mobil 1 ESP is the way to go..

Don't shoot me, I'm just a messenger, but maybe worth googling to see if there's any truth in the rumours.

I use Mobil mainly because i got a good discount at Europarts

Well my car is due an oil service but I want a stamp in the book to maintain the service history. I will however, have an intermediate oil service done as I personally feel the frequency is not enough. I have been looking up on this and my findings are that quite a few guys on the various Beemer forums are recommending National Tyres, obviously the price can't be matched even if you do it yourself, they have checked the oil spec on the barrels and its definitely pucker stuff and to be honest they would have to be mighty incompetent to feck it up. Some have even quoted that they've had it done for £35.00.

Castrol oil is what's recommended by BMW, if you look on some of the dealers service parts pages that's what's being offered.

I will edit in a link to Cotswold Motor Group BMW car care products and you can see Castrol oil is quoted as the only fully synthetic oil approved for BMW engines.

From my point of view there's a National Tyres just down the road that I have used on many ocassions over the past few years and I wouldn't have any problem with them doing mine.

http://www.cotswoldstore.com/category/BMW_Car_Care_Products,i.html

Edited by MMT

I have been having my oil changed at a local garage who I know do not use Castrol Edge but use the correct oil spec al be it a lower brand of oil ( not sure which). my question is to those who know, was long as it is the correct grade of oil will a cheaper brand do any damage to the engine, DPF, Turbo long term? and my top up bottle in the boot is Castrol Edge, can you mixed different oil brands when you top up or is this not advisable?

Hi new to this site just change my audi a4 for an 525d m sport .... iv been looking at getting my oil changed call national and kiwk fit for prise both was £54.99 national use castrol edge 5w 30 and kiwk fit use mobil 1 eps 5w 30 , i then called startsone bmw they use castrol 0w 30 next call was sytner they use moil 1 eps 5w 30

poss getting car booked into kiwk fit for an oil change :mrgreen:

How big is the sump on that?

Mine takes 1 1/2 gallons of Mobil 1 ESP which equates to around £60-£80 in oil alone. Wonder how they do a complete change for £50?

takes about 8 litres of oil .... yes i was thing the same ,when i called kiwk fit leicester they also said if i like OME filter just pay the extra going to pop down 2morrow see what they say.... dont sound right

i dont need an oil change for another 7000 but for £54.99 cant go wrong ... well lets see

Edited by paz5432

I wouldn't make any savings on engine oil. In the end of the day damage can cost you much more then 100 or even 150 £.

I do a lot of miles a month and change an oil every 6-8 months ( up to 12.000 miles) I do not wait until 19.000 miles.

It's obviously your choice, but I wouldn't recomend anything apart from BMW recognized garage.

By the way, there are oils for cars with DPF, I don't think so, that Kwik Fit , National Tyres etc got them.

Wait down to kwik fit leicester today it was £54.00 for mobil 1 esp 5w 30 oil this is wat sytner bmw use and replacement oil filter . I ask for an OEM oil fiter for that it was £100.80 all in

I went to National last June and paid £52 for oil and filter change 5w 30 castrol and couldn't fault them at all.

The only downside is they wont stamp the book and i can presume Kwik Fit will be the same.

Martin

Make sure the oil you use is BMW LL04 approved (low ash for dpf equipped cars), just because you change the oil more frequently does not mean you can skimp and use 'lesser' oils. As long as it has BMW LL04 on the label, it does not matter which brand you use. I used this stuff on my last oil change on my 530d....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GM-5W-30-DEXOS-2-FULLY-SUPER-SYNTHETIC-OIL-2-x-5-LITRES-/120839851528?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c229dce08

Gav

Its all so confusing the different oils you can get,

Mobil 1 esp is what ill be putting in and getting kwik fit to do it seems the best bet as I cant buy the products for £50

Plus I dont need to be under the car in the freezing cold ;)

Edited by lunball lunan