BriC

Should my E39 have a telephone?

So, in the case of my empty centre console phone location, no doubt having last see action by a Mr Yakoshima whilst conducting important business deals on the move in and around Tokyo, I guess all I might need is an appropriate 'retro' phone that suits the charger lead and a PAYG sim card.

20180428_125011_HDR.jpg.229b10cd19e98d1de8724640a3e206d6.jpg

Thank you both for the advice, much appreciated.

nb:  re. the fishing line, by coincidence I have a close friend who is a keen fisherman!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, 5mithy said:

New SIM cards aren't in the 1FF format (credit card size) anymore, so keep the old card as you'll probably have to cobble the two together.

The new size is smaller, so although the electronic part is still compatible, it's a question of physically getting it to the right location for the device (your phone) to use it. The smaller cards just rattle around in the holder.

I've sent off for a O2 PAYG card which, according to one of the item's reviewers, is suitable for an old phone. Should this card also not be in the desired format I will try, as you suggest, to transfer (cobble!) the contact area of the new card to the expired 1FF card that I still have. Here's hoping :unsure:

nb.  If I try to call the expired card the 07955 code connects to the international operator, so I guess the car has been around in it's time.

Edited by Norseman

10 hours ago, Norseman said:

I've sent off for a O2 PAYG card which, according to one of the item's reviewers, is suitable for an old phone. Should this card also not be in the desired format I will try, as you suggest, to transfer (cobble!) the contact area of the new card to the expired 1FF card that I still have. Here's hoping :unsure:

nb.  If I try to call the expired card the 07955 code connects to the international operator, so I guess the car has been around in it's time.

Is that the "classic"? That's the one I got.

For some reason I wasn't able to top-up using the phone though, I had to do it online.

7 hours ago, 5mithy said:

Is that the "classic"? That's the one I got.

For some reason I wasn't able to top-up using the phone though, I had to do it online.

Not sure, doesn't seem to have a title, ordered it on the 'bay for 020p! only clue I can give you are the rates of 03p per minute calls & 02p for texts. It would appear from your post that you have managed to acquire the correct size, so in case mine turns out to be too small (again) would you mind telling me where you sourced yours?

Many thanks. 

All sim cards come in a 3 piece holder now; full size, micro sim and then nano sim.

With the age of your phone, it could be that it needs the full size sim, but may also need to be in a credit card sized plastic holder. So have a look and see where & how the sim connection is located and you'll have to see if a) the SIM will sit where necessary and b.) whether you'll need to fashion an adapter for it to fit properly.

GiffGaff sim card comes in a small plastic holder now; it used to be the size of a credit card etc

16 hours ago, Norseman said:

Not sure, doesn't seem to have a title, ordered it on the 'bay for 020p! only clue I can give you are the rates of 03p per minute calls & 02p for texts. It would appear from your post that you have managed to acquire the correct size, so in case mine turns out to be too small (again) would you mind telling me where you sourced yours?

Many thanks. 

No no, mine's too small too! :lol: 

It's called the "classic", I got it direct from O2, but it still comes in the new (small) size. Very annoying.

But if you're getting yours from ebay you might be lucky and get an old full sized one.

Luckily a previous owner had left their SIM adaptor in my car, so I was able to use that.

I take it then that utilizing the adaptor puts the contacts in the right position for the 'phone?

If mine turns out to be wrong (probably!) I can always go down the same route.

nb.  not too sure why I'm bothering actually as I the car has a retro-fitted Xtron that enables Bluetooth to my mobile. It's just that I like to retain original equipment in an old, car provided it can be made to work. If not then the 'phone will be removed thereby enabling the central storage lost by the 'phone's fitment.

Appreciate your help.

Yep, that's all it is. The contact patch of the SIM has never changed, just the physical size of the card that holds it.

Good luck finding an adaptor though. I've had a look and didn't get far, so I was very lucky that the previous owner left their's behind.

This is going to sound silly, to both of you guys, but the cards themselves are exactly the same size width so it's only the length that is too short to enable the modern one to be fully inserted by means of your fingers. If a tiny hole was drilled near the top (opposite end to the contacts) & a fine/strong line, such as fishing, was attached, could not the SIM be inserted & pushed fully home by means of a slim blade etc. with the 'line' left protruding to facilitate the card's removal if required?

Just a thought :unsure:

Hmm, if it's shorter then it might actually be a better fit for the card reader under the handset.

My card fits in the handset reader, but I didn't like it sticking out so I put it in the boot module instead.

Boot module?

Didn't know it had one, there's a six-stack CD changer on the LH side … confess that's all I took note of.

Yes, it's above the cd changer. But if your card is short I definitely wouldn't put in there, you'd never get it back out. It's a very tight fit.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, 5mithy said:

Yes, it's above the cd changer. But if your card is short I definitely wouldn't put in there, you'd never get it back out. It's a very tight fit.

Point taken! So this is where I am at the present time > The 'fishing line' approach works a treat, enabling the full insertion of the standard SIM card & enabling it's removal again if required but because there is currently zero credit on it (?) the hand-set's display remains showing 'insert card' ... which is of some concern as the same message comes up even when there is no card at all, so I'm going to put the minimum credit on the SIM & see what happens :unsure:

Should the phone still not work is it a complicated (technically) job to remove the unit & restore the storage availability of the console?

Thanks in advance guys.

1 hour ago, Norseman said:

Point taken! So this is where I am at the present time > The 'fishing line' approach works a treat, enabling the full insertion of the standard SIM card & enabling it's removal again if required but because there is currently zero credit on it (?) the hand-set's display remains showing 'insert card' ... which is of some concern as the same message comes up even when there is no card at all, so I'm going to put the minimum credit on the SIM & see what happens :unsure:

Should the phone still not work is it a complicated (technically) job to remove the unit & restore the storage availability of the console?

Thanks in advance guys.

With or without credit; the SIM card would work and it'd show signal; you just wouldn't be able to make calls etc

So I'd say it's either FUBAR or it's not happy with that SIM...

Thanks for that input, the SIM is an O2 PAYG, the same as the expired card that was still in the holder. It's not possible to obtain the original 1FF size card these days but with the new card in place the contacts should make connection as that part of the card is identical to the original.

'Oh well, if it's not going to play ball the 'phone will have to go … any ideas as to my query re. its'  removal, ie does the console need to be dismantled?

Thanks again for your help.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:15 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

With or without credit; the SIM card would work and it'd show signal; you just wouldn't be able to make calls etc

So I'd say it's either FUBAR or it's not happy with that SIM...

I was reluctantly  coming round to your way of thinking, but then today I suddenly remembered that I kept the 1FF card from my very first mobile as a keep-sake & dug it out. Do you remember the O2 PAYG one with 'The Big Network' displayed on one side? I inserted the decades old card into the slot &  instead of the display remaining 'insert card' (see previous post) it started scanning & after a short while displayed 'invalid card' so it would appear that the thing is not dead after all ? Now all I need to do is wave my magic wand & procure a vintage 1FF sim … lol

nb. spoke to local O2 shop, yes they do an SIM adapter but not big enough for 1FF size … doh :(

I am right in assuming your suggestion is to somehow glue (?) a charged contact section into a used 1FF (85.60 x 53.98 x 0.76mm) card?

If that's the case I already such a card thank you, just not sure how best to fashion the adaptation.

Appreciate your help, thank you.

15 minutes ago, Norseman said:

I am right in assuming your suggestion is to somehow glue (?) a charged contact section into a used 1FF (85.60 x 53.98 x 0.76mm) card?

If that's the case I already such a card thank you, just not sure how best to fashion the adaptation.

Appreciate your help, thank you.

I’d sellotape the SIM card in situ; on one side, so it makes clear contacts where necessary

10 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I’d sellotape the SIM card in situ; on one side, so it makes clear contacts where necessary

Agreed, what Dan says - simples to coin a phrase :rolleyes:

I appreciate the help from both of you, as you say 'simples' Surprising how easy it is to over-think these things.

I'll post an update when I've tried again.

8 hours ago, know-dice said:

Worth noting that the SIM card should go in to the module at the back (over the rear wheel arch) rather than in the armrest bit.

So I'm led to believe, now all I have to do is locate it :unsure:

Update >  Well I've been peering into the area described but can't see anything that resembles a receiver for a SIM, just the 6disc changer plus two more metal 'boxes' & a big fat wiring loom.

To be perfectly honest guys there comes a time in a project when sheer bloody mindedness alone just doesn't cut the mustard & I'm now considering removal of the 'phone & utilising the console for storage. Why the change of heart? Both of us have mobiles, the Xtron facilitates Bluetooth so I'm thinking 'is it really all worth it' & once you ask yourself that you've answered the question already:unsure:

There are posts on Ytube covering the removal of the armrest, but has anyone carried out this operation & be good enough to advise me?

Thanks once again to everyone that has posted advice about this subject, but I've really had enough now & just want the thing out.

Edited by Norseman