stevenc3828

The Ultimate e34 525iX thread - info request

Hi,

I'm putting together a pool of information for the Saloon & Touring e34’s with four wheel drive separated into the sections of the BMW parts system. At the moment I have gone through a 1994 handbook and also added notes from my experiance. I have had input from another member of bimmerforums.co.uk and I would like to open it up to you guys so if people wish to contribute any nuggetts of info please feel free to pm me with details...

I'll post it when i'm finished - the idea being that it would take out the mistery, myths and misunderstandings of the 525iX so more people don't just scrap or be put of buying one in the first place!

starter for 10 - the radiator fan shroad is unique to the iX see http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/17111728913/ and http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/17111728914/

progress.gif

Wow. Thats like asking what do I need to convert to a 4x4 :?

Transfer box, prop shaft, front drive shafts, front diff and carrier, subrame, hubs. Rack and pinion steering is nice but I dont think I'd swap the rest to get it

Wow. Thats like asking what do I need to convert to a 4x4 :?

Transfer box, prop shaft, front drive shafts, front diff and carrier, subrame, hubs. Rack and pinion steering is nice but I dont think I'd swap the rest to get it

To clarify i'm after the non standard pearls of wisdom with regards to the e34 525iX

For example there are two generations of 525iX 4wd system.

• Generation 1 has wet multiplate disk clutches in centre and rear differential. In production from autumn 1991 up to September 1993.
  • Generation 2 has a wet multiplate disk clutch in center differential and an open differential rear but uses rear brakes as differential brake. In production from October 1993 up to end of production.

Edited by stevenc3828

Well according to 'how many left' there are only 145 E34 X's left on UK roads.

Many of the ones I have seen have different spec - some cloth, some leather, some clock only, others full OBC etc. Only have seen two so far with the full auto climate....

Perhaps a 525ix register might be a good idea.