Kendo

New BMW engine. Strait 6. NO! twin turbo V6. WHAT!?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/24313.htm

Not sure what folk will make of this. Love my screaming 6's.. But a BMW built twin turbo V6 sounds fun if im honest! I Know, shame on me... :oops:

As the article reads, probably not destined for the next M3, so I wonder what car we are likely to see it in?

I saw that and thought maybe it was a potential way into making F1 engines when they switch to blown V6s. It was a shame the new regs stated V6 and not just 6 cylinders in any formation.

The only benefit of a V6 is for saving space lengthwise in an engine bay. Otherwise, its more expenssive to make as you generally need 2 cylinder heads (ok, some of those small capacity V6s you see like Mazda's and VW's get around this by having a very acute angle between cylinder banks), all the gubbings for each head, it costs more to get the engine running smooth and balanced (I6 is much more naturally balanced hence they are so smooth) and then you have a more complicated inlet manifold as well as two distinct exhaust manifolds (ok, BMW generally split them into two anyways).

Why are BMWs and Jags so smooth? Straight six! Take your V6 and ram it, the only time an engine configuration should have V in front of it is if it is V8 and larger! :D

If you look at the clear air in front of any 4-pot lump in a modern beamer its obvious that I could have an extra 8-12 inches of leg room available if they could move everything forward and keep 6-pots as an option.

As M5HOH, straight six is the optimum configuration for balance. Period. Other configurations give interesting noise / compactness / cost saving etc opportunities, but a straight six is optimum. I'm sure that BMW will make a good V6, and that the bean counters will most likely have the last word.

Me, I love me V8 though :-D

Are we missing the obvious here? A v6 suits a fwd configuration...

Please... do not joke about that. They bought a brand name so they could cover FWD - the Mini... :(

Seeing as BMW are now trying to bolt turbo's to everything. Not saying I agree with it, a V6 is better for turbo application since shorter block allow more efficient cooling on the cylinders.

My E91 is the first straight 6 car I have had. It's a really lovely engine. Shame to see it killed but I think that is what will be happening. I read the other day somewhere that all of the future 'cooking' 3 series will get turbo fours instead. Idea is to make decent power whilst saving the planet :(

My E91 is the first straight 6 car I have had. It's a really lovely engine. Shame to see it killed but I think that is what will be happening. I read the other day somewhere that all of the future 'cooking' 3 series will get turbo fours instead. Idea is to make decent power whilst saving the planet :(