BSS

Brake upgrade, Brembo calipers

I'm aware that E31 8 series brembo calipers a direct bolt on upgrade and i know that E38 7 series ones are not a direct fit due to the spacing of the mounts but is there anyone who produces bracket to use them on an E34?

looked for somethign similar past few days

im pretty confident the e38 aluminium brembos arent rated as well as the 8 series dual pots...

The E38 stoppers are superb.

I had them on a 728 and were by far the best OE braking system I've driven on. So much so that I've put a set on my B10...

E38 brembos are very good and are lighter then E31 ones. I've never heard any complaints about them from people who have made conversions. Three cars (2xE24, 1xE28) are competing in flat races.

You need custom carriers in the first instance. A change of brake disc will be needed, too.

Depends what you want to achieve and what wheels you have fitted, but I elected for as near as OE as possible which meant I had to run ~15mm spacers and use E36 M3 discs.

I'm still looking at other options as I'd like to decrease the size of the spacer.

Ok how does one fit the E38 Brembo calipers to a E34

You'll need a pair of brackets (look at the pic), E38 discs (all range, exept 740i and 750i) and pads.

You have to mount the brackets on the top mounting holes. Caliper is then mounted on original bottom mounting hole.

It'll be off axis line on the top mount for about 5mm. Hence both pads working on entire width of a disc surface.

You won't have that egde as on normal disc.

post-34842-0-63866800-1313777736_thumb.j

To run them more secure It's advised to use special bolts and slef locking nuts.

This configuration has been tested and it's running without a problem on performance cars for last 3 years.

Edited by Zackpl

It'll be off axis line on the top mount for about 5mm. Hence both pads working on entire width of a disc surface.

You won't have that egde as on normal disc.

post-34842-0-63866800-1313777736_thumb.j

Can you clarify on the above point a little more? Do you have any pics of them fitted?

I considered this option but there the pads were misaligned more than I'd like with a question mark over their strength under heavy use, hence me going for a full carrier that fixes to the existing strut which increases the mounting point offset which requires the spacer.

No, I don't have a picture showing a whole set-up fitted. But I can clarify that no spacers are needed. Just use original, bottom mount on the strut and top mount with the bracket to fit E38 brembo calipers. I also wasn't sure when I heard about it for the first time (safety). Then I had an occasion to see one of the cars in action on a track and changed my mind.

post-34842-0-27076400-1313793086_thumb.j

post-34842-0-46304600-1313793164_thumb.j

ive got e38 calipers and I would like to do this upgrade to my US spec 1991 M5. Can I purchase a set of these spacers from someone. Also What size rotor do I need to install. Thanks

Also What size rotor do I need to install. Thanks

Just follow the original E38 (every model has had them apart from 740 and 750) when buying rotors and pads.

someone give me dimensions, i can make a load of these up. :D

PM'me your address and I'll send you a pair.