Sign in to follow this  
Capri

The Folks' E31...

Well, quite a few of you helped me out with E31 info when I was looking for one for my old man. The good news is, we got one, and we think it's a good'un! My parents are understandably chuffed as nuts, and Mum, who's always loved the 8-Series, is beside herself. It's an 840Ci Sport, Oxford Green with Parchment interior, Style 5s, cruise control and Steptronic auto. The previous owner has fitted a Becker Indianapolis head unit with upgraded speakers and an iPod kit. It's in immaculate nick on the inside, and very good nick outside, with 100k miles. Only problems are that it could do with a couple of new batteries (either that or there's battery drain somewhere - under investigation) and at some point in the past some numpty's assumed the staggered wheels need the same size of tyre all round - so the rears are a little stretched, though not massively. Apart from that, she's sweet as a nut! Here are a couple of pics taken at yesterday's Sunday Service:

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6952.jpg

Pics © Prime Exposures

TomGC - Cheers chap; assuming it remains reasonably reliable, I think they'll love every minute!

Osi - Thanks! One of my dream cars too; I'm exceptionally jealous! Sadly my E39 looks very plain parked up next to the E31 now!

minicooper - Cheers, though I can't claim credit at all - these pics were taken by a friend of mine who's a semi-pro photographer :)

alpinaman - Thanks! Bought it from a chap in Loughton, Essex - he'd owned it since mid-2009.

Ray - :/ blimey. As day's go, that's not a good one for that guy! Is that an 8-Series, though? Looks a bit E36-ish to me! Great vid though!

That looks good in Green. I don't usually like green cars but it suits the 8 well.

Might be wise to get a battery tender if its not used every couple of days to keep them topped up.

They don't like low voltage and it can cause all kinds of weird problems.

If you need any bits in the future let me know as I still have a 'stash' including a Schnitzer boot spoiler.

Thanks for the advice Red. They already have a trickle charger which is topping the batteries up, but they discharge rapidly (i.e. if not put on trickle charge overnight, the car can't be started in the morning). When she fails to start, the MID is showing 11.x volts, which seems low to me. I suspect the previous owner hasn't used the car enough and hasn't trickle charged the batteries, so I reckon the state of charge has fallen off over time and they've sulphated (thanks to Timm's excellent article on the subject for that knowledge!), so hopefully a new pair of batteries will solve the problem, and as long as the trickle charger is used, fingers crossed that'll be the end of the matter. If not, I suspect the best solution will be to bring in an auto sparky, who'll know what he's doing far better than we will! Cheers for the offer of bits, by the way - I'll give you a shout if we do need anything!

Check the output from the alternator if you are investing in new batteries.

It may be charging but not at full capacity. Or it could just be knackered batteries.

There has been several cases of battery drain discussed on 8 series forums and the main 2 seem to be linked to the cluster backlight not going out after switch off, and faulty ignition switches.

Edited by red35