Sign in to follow this  
Andy Badger

OBC 2 compliant

Hi guys,

is my 1996 523i SE OBC 2 compliant? im looking at buying a fault code reader, but all the ones i look at state the car must be OBC compliant. Ive done a search & cant seem to find anything. Can anyone help me out? I need to know whether my car is OBC 2 compliant? just re-read the post & it looks like im on the scrounge for a code reader - not the case, just wondering whether the readers im looking at are compatible.

Sorry for any confusion!!!

cheers

Andy

Hi there,

I have just been doing some research into fault readers etc. All petrol cars from 2001 onwards are OBD 2 compliant (I think you are mixing up your TLAs here - OBC = On-Board Computer, OBD = On-Board Diagnostics).

An OBD 2 compliant car will have a socket in the cubby hole to the lower right of the steering wheel (OBD2 compliance states that this connector must be within 2 feet of the steering wheel)

I think that with your car being a 1996 it will not have this, it will have a round connector under the bonnet

You can get 'BMW round connector' to OBD 2 adapters enabling you to connect your car to an OBD 2 fault reader, but since mine is a 2001 I have not needed to go down that route.

Sorry I am unable to help you further.

Ross

From the year you need a reader to fit the round plug mounted on the offside wing in the engine bay. OBD2 is a socket under the dash and is i think only on cars later than 2000. Do a search for Peake research, they do both types. I went for one of these as they are considered the one to have for the M5 but work on all E39's.

I got mine from here

http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/

OBD2 is a socket under the dash and is i think only on cars later than 2000.

Not so - mine's a pre-facelift, 1999 version and has a working OBD2 socket in the cubbyhole bye the steering wheel. It also has the round one under the bonnet which is used too, definitely for service light resets and seems to read the modules properly too. used my kit to reset a SRS light for a guy in Southampton some time ago too.

Never used a generic code reader but had an old IBM Thinkpad with seriel prot, and interface cable off ebay with INPA software.

cheers Rob -im getting sorted by Jimmy. Just need to source myself an XP laptop... Im a Mac user dual booting windows...so ebay for a cheapo laptop if it doesnt work on mine....