Andy Badger

instrument cluster

Hi guys,

not sure if this is right or not, but the image of the car on the dash has never worked since ive had it. (98 523i SE auto) Ive checked all the fuses & theyre fine. The oil light etc comes up on start up, but nothing on that left side of the dash. I was under the impression that on a key turn it should illuminate & do a diagnostic to tell whether the headlights etc are all working.

Can anyone tell me whether:

a - im being a duffer & it wont work on my model/plate

b - anything else i need to check except the fuses

once again, cheers in anticipation.

Andy

Have you got a high or low cluster?? one or two trip buttons??

Mine has a low cluster, and only shows doors open, bulbs out and screenwash low

Hi Liddo

its a low OBC. Even if i open a door, nothing lights up on the instrument panel.

Ive no idea how to get it working again.

hi fella's - almost feel like im spamming with this thread!!!

Ive taken a picture of the dash test that i've just performed. It appears that all lights etc work except for the image of the car on the dash. The trip/OBC display has always had a problem with flickering then going dim to the point you see in the attached image.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

I'm sure a cluster repair centre could do that. Changing the clocks on these cars is not easy and not recommended (I've tried ;) ) physically it's easy, but getting them to work with your car is another matter :(

Cheers Rob,

I was hoping you'd say it could be a blown bulb at the back of the cluster!!! Oh well, that's wishful thinking!

Where's the best place to get it repaired-any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

just an update fellas.

Spoke to Rudi at pixelfix he tells me that the low obc doesnt really suffer with dead/fading pixels. He thinks it could simply be bulbs that have given up the ghost.

Ordered a set of 5 from Cotswolds BMW (£23.50 incl P&P) so they better be good!!! If they turn out to be the 285 lamps then i'll be fizzing as theyre around £1 each...

Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the responses.

Andy

worried as hell now. As in previous post, i received the replacement bulbs from costwolds BMW - which are completely incorrect might i add. I took the cluster apart today & to my dismay i found that there was a piece of cardboard blu-tac'd (other brands are available!) over the image of the car on the instrument panel & a ma-hoosive piece of blu tac covering the airbag light.

How worried should i be? I can live with the car image to show blown bulbs etc, but faults on the airbag etc, that something im particularly worried about. Dont want to find theres an error with the airbag by it not going off in a crash!!!

Is there anything i can do to investigate???

Help fellas, the shine's starting to slip from my ownership of this truly amazing car.

Cheers

Andy

Sounds like a previous owner has pulled a fast one on you mate. You need to get the fault codes read to see what has been masked. People that do this are cheating scumbags that deserve to be in pain. I hope karma comes to get them.

Take the blue tac and and card out and see what lights you are greeted with mate.

i agree Rob, all they had to do was tell me. I get all the doors open, front & rear light errors & the airbag light. Couldnt believe it.

Anyone in the Wigan/Leigh area have a 20 pin code reader to clear my faults & i can see whats what, or have any suggestions at to what my next move is???

Cheers

Andy

Arse. So you get all the doors showing as open all the time and all the lights showing as faulty too? Strange that. First thing to do is check you actually have no faulty bulbs, remember the high level brake light, it's often overlooked.

If you have no blown bulbs, I'd have to say you either have a cluster problem, or a wiring issue. The cluster is the bus controller for the I/K bus (on a low obc car they are both connected together) so it could be causing the issue, or it is the associated wiring at fault.

Random question but is your stereo working correctly?

A fault code read would help you out for sure.

As for the airbag light, it might just need resetting, if not you have a fault, quite probably one of the occupancy sensors. A common issue on the E39 and not too costly to resolve.

There arent any blown lamps - just replaced the rear o/s brake lamp. When i bought the car (oct 10) it had the tape player & mid - both worked fine. I changed them for a double din aftermarked stereo - so i dont know if that will cause an error?

Other than that im out of ideas.

I am getting Jimmy to sort me out with the software & ive ordered the 20 pin plug from ebay, so hopefully, i'll get a better picture of whats going on.

Pretty pee'd off with the previous owner. Apparently he used to frequent this site (unconfirmed), if so - a pretty crap trick to pull on a fellow member.

In the grand scheme of things, its not the end of the world, as i mention in previous posts, my main concern is the airbags working correctly in the event of an incident - God forbid as im driving with my family to the Dordogne in July & i'd like some piece of mind before i make that trip... If he hid this, what else is there lurking. Know what i mean?

lets hope so. Im not going to get bent out of shape until i get the error codes. I'll take it from there & keep mithering you good people for advice!!!

Cheers

Andy

lots of faults on the instrument cluster, 1 in particular stated a ground fault (assuming a bad earth somewhere),

also, the common airbag seat connection fault. In my haste & ignorance i just cleared them as i was just fiddling with the software (felt like a kid in a sweetshop!!!) provided by jimmy - big thanks mate.

Anyway, the issues are clear & will see whether they re-occur.

Cheers

Andy