320D_UK

Karcher Pressure Washers

As summer is pretty much here I'm in the market for a pressure washer.

Karcher seems to be the brand of choice for most but there are so many to choose from... so many look similar but have different model numbers, are these just additional extras that come in the package or actually something different about the pressure washer itself?

Also, the cheaper ones, are they any good for general car/ driveway cleaning? I believe they do a 100 bar one, is that a bit wimpy?

Daft Q: When you clean a car with them, does it get off as much stuff as a wash mitt? Or is it regarded as a first stage before the mitt?

First stage. You'll never get a pressure washer to remove as much grime as by hand, but if you could I would advise keeping it well clear of any car, as it will be reduced to it's bare tin in moments :lol:

Esco54: I went for Nilfisk in the end. My budget would only allow for a cheaper Karcher and the research I did suggested the lower price range ones have the plastic pump which are prone to going wrong. Lots of 'Karcher vs. Nilfisk' posts from Google and it seems that Nilfisk is the new Karcher?!

Also, Argos had 25% off so I got a patio cleaner attachment all for less than £60!! Used it on the weekend and it does the job. No complaints.

LimavadyE39: Not sure what you mean... I cant speak for the industrial ones but most pressure washers aren't strong enough to ruin paint work (unless of course you're stupid enough to hold it point blank or use it on fresh paintwork).

Normal pressure washers are fine on paintwork. If you can blast paint off with it there's something wrong with your bodywork!

Esco54: I went for Nilfisk in the end. My budget would only allow for a cheaper Karcher and the research I did suggested the lower price range ones have the plastic pump which are prone to going wrong. Lots of 'Karcher vs. Nilfisk' posts from Google and it seems that Nilfisk is the new Karcher?!

Also, Argos had 25% off so I got a patio cleaner attachment all for less than £60!! Used it on the weekend and it does the job. No complaints.

LimavadyE39: Not sure what you mean... I cant speak for the industrial ones but most pressure washers aren't strong enough to ruin paint work (unless of course you're stupid enough to hold it point blank or use it on fresh paintwork).

I did the same thing last year and bought a nilfisk after my karcher past out...a blue one for 500€ :)

I don't rate pressure washers for cleaning cars. They're OK for really dirty wheels, or getting caked mud off, but otherwise a bucket and sponge will beat a pressure washer.

Come to think of it I think pressure washers are a bit like bottled water....all marketing over function.

I don't rate pressure washers for cleaning cars. They're OK for really dirty wheels, or getting caked mud off, but otherwise a bucket and sponge will beat a pressure washer.

Come to think of it I think pressure washers are a bit like bottled water....all marketing over function.

Thankyou, this echoes my point ...

I've never heard of anyone expecting to clean a car with a pressure washer alone. :roll: In some areas water barely drips from the hose... a pressure washer just helps.

Can't beat a bucket and sponge :wink:

If you have post production paint, a pressure washer can take it off. I know, it happened to me. The missus's Golf had an accident repair at the front and a section of paint lifted when I used the Karcher. As above, good for doing dirty wheels, inside wheel arches and underneath etc. Do the bodywork by hand.

Karcher washer linky

I got this one from tesco direct a while back when it was on deal at a ton. Its very good. Never had a problem with it lifting paint on any of my cars and we all know how bad alfa paint can be :roll:. Just be careful and don't put the nossle right on teh paint and you should be fine. Used it to wash the e12 with no issues the other day. Obviously used bucket and sponge to get the dirt off first. They are also very good for cleaning in wheel arches etc too.

hope that helps

Edited by Joss

Pressure washer to remove initial dirt, and wet the car.

Snowfoam to absorb / lift anything more stubborn.

Blast that off.

Wash the car, mitt of some description, not a sponge !

Blast again with pressure washer.

Uses less water than a hose with better and faster results :D

Guest puggie

Blast that off.

+1 Sorry but pressure washer's are awesome. kerosene burner's are even better ;)

Edited by puggie

Think I need to get a mitt :shock: why are sponges so bad?

^^ Grit generally sits between sponge and car = scratches.

Grit goes up the weave of a mitt more = less/no scratches.

You are supposed to have a second bucket to wash the grit off the mitt as well: Dip in soapy stuff, wipe car, rinse in clear water, dip in soapy stuff etc.

I CBA with that and just work top to bottom with a mitt, trying not to hit the bottom of the bucket (you can get grids for this also) and use separate old stuff for sills and wheels.

Pressure washer for me for clearing the sh!te from under the wheel arches/tyres/alloys (I live in the country) then the two-bucket method with a mitt (never a sponge or brush). I wet/rinse the car with a normal hose as I get better control. After waxing, it's much easier to wash the car as most dirt doesn't stick

My twoppence worth

Savcom

Just done the E87 - i try and avoid pressure washing because i think modern paint is less tough and you're just asking the water to get to the places its really not wanted. PDC sensors get knackered by them, thats for sure.

I've got a Bosch pressure washer, and its awesome. :mrgreen:

Blast that off.

Yep - thats my process. Although you missed out using two buckets when hand washing (or was that assumed ? :rolleyes: )

I did the same thing last year and bought a nilfisk after my karcher past out...a blue one for 500� :)

I tried karcher and made the mistake of the plastic tank and fittings so it did not last long! Eventually I got a Nilfisk from ScrewFix and cant say a bad word about either. After 6 months the washer was tripping the breaker in the garage when i turned it on and Screw fix deleivered a repalcement the following day...