Splondike

Splondike's M535i Project

Looks great.

It's true about how much of a pain the E28 screen is to fit. The B9 ended up the same with 1 corner bit missing/not fitted.

Out of interest why is it being detailed not long after being painted?

It is basically because the body shop had mopped it over zealously and made a real mess of things.  So there were buffer trails and many paintwork defects which needed attention.  Matt of "themattfinish" has done a great job of making a silk purse from a sow's ear.  There is still a bit for me to do in tidying up some of the lesser seen areas like door shuts etc but it looks so much better than it did and seemed to be well received on it's first outing to the Kent meet at the weekend.

I thought so. Mate, what bad luck you've had with this project! But it does look great very good job! All of your interior work is fantastic too!

So stuff that's happened since the detail, the old brake bomb issue has been sorted with a new sphere, also a new throttle cable has been fitted from BMW as mine was perishing a bit.   On Sunday on the way to the Bromley Pageant a milestone was reached.

20150607_065520.jpg

The car was really well received at the show, one partially sighted BMW enthusiast even said it had the best paint of any car there !  I also had 5 serious people who wanted to buy it and when told I did not want to sell they offered to leave their numbers and business cards etc.  It was nice the car was appreciated even if they were a bit deluded.  Huge credit to Matt the detailer for making close to a silk purse from a sow's ear though !

A nice piccy from the day.

20150607_143831.jpg

I have also been working on my toolkit which was in a bit of a state with some bits missing as well.  I bought the kit off of tris some time in 2014 an it has just found it's way into the car.  Yesterday evening was spent cleaning up the tray and putting a layer of polish on the tools in the hope of keeping them nice and rust free.  Pics are a pants as it was dark and it was on my phone....

20150611_221915.jpg

It now looks like this, but I am missing one part which I will try to source.

20150611_230350.jpg

Next up is underbonnet tidying which will involve some stripping down and cleaning and painting etc.  More updates on that over the next couple of weeks hopefully.

is there one part of your toolkit missing ...on my 535 there was a long thin allen key that utilised the screw driver handle. It lived inside the spark plug tool, was longer and slotted into where you can see the holding space in the moulding on the tool kit cover

Stunning E28, no wonder peeps leave numbers to buy it !!!

More of a saga !  :lol:

On 15/06/2015 at 2:28 PM, The Flying Banana said:

is there one part of your toolkit missing ...on my 535 there was a long thin allen key that utilised the screw driver handle. It lived inside the spark plug tool, was longer and slotted into where you can see the holding space in the moulding on the tool kit cover

Stunning E28, no wonder peeps leave numbers to buy it !!!

I have just put it in the car actually Scott, picked it up from the dealer on Friday after Dan pointed me in the right direction.

Here it is all up together.

P1140838.JPG

Onto the next job :)

Stunning car, I remember it a few years ago when you had style 5s on it, I remember asking you then if you'd consider selling it! It's a stunner and if I win the lotto I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!! It'd be my perfect e28 lol!

Great project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, it's a labour of love which only gets attention around my madly hectic work and family life, three teenagers keep me pretty busy !

So after being a tart and trying to clean up my engine bay, then having some bits powder coated and ruining my FPR which meant it would not run !  I have now got it sorted.  It still needs some work but is heading in the right direction under there now.   Thanks to Jamie (jam172) for a: taking the piss out of my car and b: giving me some clean up advice.

P1140771_zpslecab0zc.JPGP1140773_zpscyvraoqd.JPG

Also got the original supplying dealer signage on the old girl today.

P1140758_zpsrnum6dzo.JPG

Slow progress as always from me :)   Now to get her tarted up for the Uxbridge show next week...

P1140755_zpsi3pyagoy.JPG

Hi Mark,

Your E28 is looking better and better each time you post pictures.

You are setting the bar very high, well done and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mick

Cheers Dunc :P

Is that an origional alpina strut brace? Looks great.

No, there is nothing Alpina about it - just a sticker that I can't be arsed to remove :)

Thanks, it's a labour of love which only gets attention around my madly hectic work and family life, three teenagers keep me pretty busy !

So after being a tart and trying to clean up my engine bay, then having some bits powder coated and ruining my FPR which meant it would not run !  I have now got it sorted.  It still needs some work but is heading in the right direction under there now.   Thanks to Jamie (jam172) for a: taking the piss out of my car and b: giving me some clean up advice.

P1140771_zpslecab0zc.jpg

You are very welcome Mark, and for once I agree with Duncan, it looks shit! :mrgreen: Actually it's starting to look worryingly better than mine! :rolleyes: