Micalee

Wheel Bearing or not?

Bet you wished you woulda payed somebody to do it now...:(
You bet, especially cos i think i've may have damaged the thread on the end of the drive shaft trying to thump it out! a job i though was going to be easy now looks like its going to cost a few quit to sort!

how easy does the shaft go back into the hub? if i'm using the hydrualic press to get it out, will i need the press to get it back in?

well, finally completed the job tonight - what a bitch!

had to use a hydraulic press to get the drive shaft out, then the old bearing was siezed onto the hub, so used a press to get that off, but the bearing racer stayed attached to the shaft so had to attack it with a grinder, then the threads on the drive shaft end were almost flattened, so had to try and nurse them back to life. All that just to get the old bearing off! then reffiting went not too bad until we tried to rebuild the break shoes - those springs are a nightmare to get back on!

however after a total of 7 hours and a few grazed knuckles ive finally got the car back together - and the noise has gone (hoorah), just delighted i didnt need to replace the drive shaft in the end!

not a job i'd like to try again, so heres hoping the other side doesnt fail soon.....

Thats great news - everything I knew and read about bearings is the complete opposite with the E60. I am glad my findings has helped someone

only thing i'd say is that it was the opposite side to what i had thought - so your theory of loading up the damaged side to see if the noise goes away isnt actually a true test!

My front right bearing had gone - when I loaded the right side of the car, the noise went. Ordinarily, with other cars I have experienced, if took the load off the right hand side, the noise would go. Further to this, I was 100% it was the front left as that was where I was convinced the noise was coming from. Everyone who went in the car also said front left. When the guy from Telford got in, he said front right. It wasnt until he explained how the bearings on my car work, that I then could hear it on the right and not the left!

I think what I am saying is that it is very hard to locate the noise - the noise isnt always coming from where we think due to vehicle dynamics.

I'm so glad that I read this post as I've recently picked up an E61 which has the same issue! I was thinking it was the nearside front as taking left hand turns and loading the offside the droning sound goes! But now I know it's the offside! Does anybody know who manufactures the OEM bearing as there are a few options and rather not get taken for a ride by the stealers with their wonderful pricing scheme!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Was it a grinding noise or humming sound the wheel bearing 

the car has firestone firehawk rft tyres which I think is causing the humming noise from front 

seem quiter after 60mph but maybe as the noise on road you can't hear tyres as much 

FAG are OEM for the E60 front Bearing.

Mine was identified by a low grumble.

See link below on how I replaced mine....at the same time as a couple of the suspension arms.

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=49193&PN=1

There is a link to a video where you can here the rumble once it was stripped down.  I could feel it as a graunching as I turned the hub a few thousand miles earlier when I changed my brake discs.

What's the best way to find out which wheel sound coming from?

used to sound like front but now I'm thinking it's rear, tyres front are firestone fire hawk and rear is another cheap budget

If it's a front bearing, you can tell on cornering. If it's a nearside bearing noise gets worse on right hand corners and less on left hand bends as the bearing is loaded and unloaded.

Mine was quite obvious to feel and here when I had stripped the brakes a few months earlier.

Not quite so easy to tell on a rear bearing.

I’ve had my car out and am getting a whining noise that differs on different tarmac surfaces.  It’s like a constant howl and is worse up at 50mph and above.

if I slide the box into neutral it doesn’t change still there so don’t think it’s engine or box related.

I’ve heard wheel bearings fail and it’s normally like a knocking and alters as you turn as has been discussed in the thread.

Am I looking at bearing or could it be driveshafts or diff?  Any videos of these various issues that I could try and match my noise to?

Thanks as normal for thoughts.

17 minutes ago, mpgscott said:

I’ve had my car out and am getting a whining noise that differs on different tarmac surfaces.  It’s like a constant howl and is worse up at 50mph and above.

if I slide the box into neutral it doesn’t change still there so don’t think it’s engine or box related.

I’ve heard wheel bearings fail and it’s normally like a knocking and alters as you turn as has been discussed in the thread.

Am I looking at bearing or could it be driveshafts or diff?  Any videos of these various issues that I could try and match my noise to?

Thanks as normal for thoughts.

have you tried it with the Wife out the car and see if it stops ;)

All joking aside, it could be the Tyres as it is differing on surfaces. Are they all the same make/model? I am guessing you don't have a square set up to rotate the wheels around. 

1 hour ago, dj1233 said:

have you tried it with the Wife out the car and see if it stops ;)

All joking aside, it could be the Tyres as it is differing on surfaces. Are they all the same make/model? I am guessing you don't have a square set up to rotate the wheels around. 

Aye deffo not the other half, like your thinking though :-)

Yep, i have Bridgestone LM32 winters all round good tread only been on last year for few months.  Getting the same noise with the summer tyres as well its just like a constant drone/whine.  Normally in other cars its more a knock if its a wheel bearing.

Ive been searching the web to see if i can find a video showing the same noise to see if i can rule out Diff or driveshafts also. 

Had the car out a good run checking temps for another post.

Attempted to take some video of the issue, noise is very apparent on nice smooth tar and doesn’t alter when in neutral.  Can you take a listen to video and noise is present from around 29secs to when the tar changes around 1:50 into it.  

What’s the thoughts on what it could be? I might have to put on YouTube as file is greater that our size limit

Edited by mpgscott

With this weird noise, im thinking of raising the car up on axel stands and running the car upto speed.  Is there any issues in doing this other than the obvious of it falling off the stands.  Reason im asking is that it wont effect the driveshafts or anything with them running at full angle with the weight not being on the suspension?  If the noise is still present when i run like this then it discounts tyre noise.

I have an R1200GS and you cant run them on the stand as the drive shaft will contact the housing, so just wanted to check on the cars it wouldnt be an issue.

Thanks

Mark

You can run the car with all 4 wheels off the ground. You need to have the engine running and cycle through the gears to fill the gearbox correctly. 

You will have fun with the stability control though. Try to change up if it's an auto and it will change back down. Sit in the car with your foot to the floor and the car will just tick over!! The stability control can't comprehend the rear wheels spinning freely. Try turning it off. 

Cheers for that, yeh was thinking that could be a problem.  I only have two axel stands so fronts will need to remain on the ground.  Is it the case of hold on the DTC button to disable it?

Edited by mpgscott