p1RATE

525 TDS mpg

i was wondering what the realistic figures are for mpg in a 525 tds? i have read average of 40, but also seen 35 and as high as 50??

im sort of expecting high 30's??

also what size fuel tank is standard in a 525? and what sort of range does it have?

I could get over 40 with ease and near 50 if a constant cruise and a 25/30% mix of veg oil.

My car was an auto and at 1800rpm was doing near 80mph,the manual box cars require another 1000 rpm to hold the same speed in top.

Still a mixture of answers :P

im after an auto so figure for an automatic would be more useful :)

here are the figures i have from autotrader, are these in line with what they would get from factory? or a little optimistic?

Fuel consumption (urban) 31 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 55.4 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 40.9 mpg

I could never get figures anywhere near that! :shock:

My old 525tds would just nudge over 40mpg on a motorway run sitting at steady 65-70mph, it barely did much better than the 525 petrol version which I'd say is a nicer drive.

Mine was manual & 70 mph was about 2500rpm.

my old remapped TDS auto would do 32-35mpg in town and on a run down to Gatwick and back from Glasgow i saw 48-49mpg and i wasn't hanging about coming back.

In my case it was definitely more economical than the 2.5 24v petrol, but i think that was also helped by the fact the engine was remapped and in good condition (well serviced throughout it's whole life) and an auto box that had been serviced as well.

I liked it and did about 11k miles in 11 months and it has to be one of the best E34's i've owned. The kick from the turbo was superb and it's such a smooth engine. And really quiet on the motorway, 1800 revs for about 80 mph.

So if you find a good one i'd recommend one. 8)

My missus uses our TDS around town all week and I reckon it does 20-25 mpg tops. Whereas on a run will do roundabout 45mpg. Autotrader data is a bit optomistic I reckon

Had over 700 miles from a full tank in my old 1996 TDS, mostly motorway careful driving and the best I've got from any E34 !

Economy at the time was very good for the size of car, but nowadays it's pretty poor.

525td manual remapped with more boost was 32 mpg on an 800 mile round trip, 4 up with luggage crusiing 60-100 all the way, not really a fair comparison though

not hte a same car as an auto tds but oyu get the idea

525i gets 30 MPG MIXED driving for me continuously.

I get about 36 going to work and back some fast and slow roads but it has done 266.000 miles. so not bad for a old car I had a rover 820 diesel before that was the same mpg that had only coverd 95.000 miles, but it was faster when you got it going over 70 mph

169000 mile TD auto and I get around 580 from a tank at a 2500 rev cruise, just done North East to Dussledorf via Dover on one tank in fact. Before I pulled the bio aux tank out with both tanks full I could get beyond Munich from without reaching for the wallet.

Yes I agree mines does about 20-25mpg in town and 45mpg on a long run. This also depends what speeds you do and how much traffic you get stuck in.

If you do 50mph on the motorway your probably get more mpg but its not practical, no one does this.

my old remapped TDS auto would do 32-35mpg in town and on a run down to Gatwick and back from Glasgow i saw 48-49mpg and i wasn't hanging about coming back.

In my case it was definitely more economical than the 2.5 24v petrol, but i think that was also helped by the fact the engine was remapped and in good condition (well serviced throughout it's whole life) and an auto box that had been serviced as well.

I liked it and did about 11k miles in 11 months and it has to be one of the best E34's i've owned. The kick from the turbo was superb and it's such a smooth engine. And really quiet on the motorway, 1800 revs for about 80 mph.

So if you find a good one i'd recommend one. 8)

Who did the remap, and how much? Sounds like what I need for mine.

I think it was just an ECU chip off ebay? As the previous owner fitted it.

Well worth it though! As my old E36 325 TDS auto felt lethargic compared to the E34. This was further exemplified the other day, as I know have a V6 Passat 2.8 Syncro and I got burned off on a fast A road overtake manouvre by a remapped E36 TDS!!! :shock: lol admittedly I wasn't driving super quick? But even still I'd have it to give it some beans to keep up with the TDS as they are really good once on the move and the E36 driver wasn't hanging about!

Cheers

Greig.

It was a lad up here in Aberdeen that did mapping/chipping to fund his holiday habit :D

He got the map from someone in Germany and downloaded it to a chip, then swapped chips in the car (GStarr's car was owned by me previously :) )

Dont know what the map/chip was called and the guy is now working back offshore and has sold his equipment. Sorry I cant be of more help but this was a few years ago :oops:

can you run the tds with a mix of veg oil and diesel say a 30/70 mix i can get new veg oil at a good price and i used to run my hilux surf on a 50/50 mix :?:

brian

yes you can

but you may need to replace the lift pump, they are prone to failing when running on bio

also any weak seals tend to make themselves apparent when you start running on vege

btw jsut running on mix isnt an ideal solution, its better to twin tank, as the vege likes to be burnt in a warm engine, it wont give any initial problems but will certainly cause problems to occur sooner

vege oil should ideally be pre heated and you should half your oil change periods

My tds auto is averaging 33-34 mpg right now on a 57 mile daily work commute. I've seen 42-43 on a run to Germany. It's a std auto - no mods - and needs some sorting, so I'm hoping for a little more. I have quite a light foot msot of the time ;-)

I just filled mine and ran it for two weeks and then refilled each week. Averaged 36.4 according to the OBC thing. Mixture of M27 and town work at 80/20 ish.

I will be chipping of some sort soon as I have a bit of spare cash.