Sign in to follow this  
G3GSB

Maf Sensor job done plus "how to"

Hi, am going to clean my MAF sensor tomorrow and was looking to see if i can find it. Does anyone know where about it is on my engine?

Have just taken a snap shot of my engine bay and would be grateful if you can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance :-)

[attachment=0]IMG_1693.JPG[/attachment]

I not up on Diesels, but I'd say your MAF is not shown in your pic, I reckon it should be somewhere off the bottom RHS of the picture!

Dunno what you've circled, but it looks too small!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PX71&mospid=50129&btnr=13_1151&hg=13&fg=20

Try this link and go to - fuel preparation - MAF.

The diagram shows the MAF on the end of the air filter which, happily, is where your red circle has been drawn.

Thanks Losenuts, I thought thats where it is. Is this a fairly easy process?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PX71&mospid=50129&btnr=13_1151&hg=13&fg=20

Try this link and go to - fuel preparation - MAF.

The diagram shows the MAF on the end of the air filter which, happily, is where your red circle has been drawn.

Thanks Losenuts, I thought thats where it is. Is this a fairly easy process?

So far I've not even changed the air filter on my fiver but I'm guessing that the MAF is going to be easily accessable when the air filer is off. Where have you got the idea of cleaning the MAf from? I'm guessing that this operation would be a delecate to say the least. Anyway post u p pics as you go andbest of luck with the cleaning.

I have noticed strange behaviour on the rev counter recently (Hunting Idle) and the car almost wants to cut out upon start-up. This doesn't happen every time but doing a little research has pointed me to the MAF sensor and thought I would give it a clean.

If it’s an easy process then it’s worth a try.

Will update my progress :D

would be interested in some pics of removal process :? if possible g3gsb thanks mate :wink:

Will do mate. Don't think there is a "HOW TOO" on this so will get one sorted as soon as I have done it. :D

would be interested in some pics of removal process :? if possible g3gsb thanks mate :wink:

Will do mate. Don't think there is a "HOW TOO" on this so will get one sorted as soon as I have done it. :D

thanks ,

Have finally took the plunge and done my MAF sensor yesterday. Have created a "how to" as requested.

[attachment=0]How too clean your MAF sensor on a BMW E60.pdf[/attachment]

Please note that this is the way I done the job so not saying that it's the correct way. Have cleaned my MAF sensor and seemed to have cured the problem with no symptoms so far.

I have also put the file in the "how to" section

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any issues with this.

Nice one Fella, Will be giving that a go see if it improves the low rev judder i sometimes get.

Do you have to do an ECU reset with these when you've cleaned the MAF ?

No reset required. Any adjustments will be made by the ECU.

Plus, if you notice a significant improvement after cleaning, then you need a new one.

A cleaned MAF is only a tempoary fix.

Nice one Fella, Will be giving that a go see if it improves the low rev judder i sometimes get.

Do you have to do an ECU reset with these when you've cleaned the MAF ?

Thanks,

As Neil said no reset required when doing this. No massive improvements but just haven't noticed the juddering as yet. I guess i will know for sure after a few weeks. The hunting problem was intermittent.

Good luck AWY post back with your results.

Got into the car this morning 6.30am to goto work and the judder at idle revs started again. damn thought i had sorted it :(

I am starting to wonder if it's a fuel injector issue.

Any thoughts?

Got into the car this morning 6.30am to goto work and the judder at idle revs started again. damn thought i had sorted it :(

I am starting to wonder if it's a fuel injector issue.

Any thoughts?

not so good mate sorry to hear fault is back :(

sparkyrfc, i am not a happy bunny. I think a good dose of injector cleaner wont go a miss. keeping my fingers crossed it will do the trick.

I am also wondering if my MAF sensor is actually faulty and need to be replaced.

cheers G

sparkyrfc, i am not a happy bunny. I think a good dose of injector cleaner wont go a miss. keeping my fingers crossed it will do the trick.

I am also wondering if my MAF sensor is actually faulty and need to be replaced.

cheers G

Sorry to hear that your issue with poor running issue is back.

One easy cheap trick is to fill up with a premium diesel. Hold on why did I say fill up? run the tank down and put in 2 galls of BP Ultimate or similar. The premium fuels are blessed with much better quality oil fractions and laced with a prepackage of additives. Then all you've got to do is to give it some welly. Oh coures if the MAF is going west then this may not help you at all, but at least you'll know that your injector system will be well wooshed out and there is a fair chance that the particulate filter will have had a good clean up as well.

Just another addition to this thread. Have noticed that the revs are hunting more when the car is cold. First thing in the morning is worse.

I think I have 2 options with this to do first.

1) Get a good quality injector cleaner.

2) replace the MAF sensor for a brand new one.

I wonder if the maf sensor have a nominal life span?

My M5's would last around 50k miles. Don't know if it's the proximety to the engine block or what but they would normally start failing after 40k miles. Cleaning them only wipes off the film of clag that has accumulated. By then the damage has normally been done.

If there is any hint your MAF is failing it should be replaced asap. It is the first piece of info regarding air mixture given to the ECU. If that is wrong then everything else follows suit.