Sign in to follow this  
r7ehw

tow bar wiring

I need some help to wire in my tow bar to my e39 touring.

I have fitted the bar and run the cable into the boot space so that it coming out by the battery but that was a month ago and I have not got any further. I have bought a relay and do not know what I should connect to where. Any help really appreciated. Otherwise I have someone coming to fit it for me next week.

Thanks

Russell

Guest john-boy

Ahh, now. I'v been a member for 5 minutes & hopefully could be of some help here.

I'm assuming you've bought a 7 way bypass relay? If so, it will have the various connections marked on it (left hand indicator, reverse, etc) If you remove the bulb holder from the rear of the light unit you can simply follow the metal connections from the bulb back to the connector block & pick up which wire is which from that.

I was able to wire mine into the drivers side rear light but the n/s indicator needs a seperate feed from across the boot. If I remember correctly, there are 2 12v positives which can be wired to the battery with inline fuses & an earth too.

If you need more info I can have a look in my boot & tell you which wires are connected to what.

John-Boy thanks for your help. I have now wired it in with the exception of the reversing light which I'll do later. I understand theat the wire for that is in the door pillar on the drivers side.

My last thing is to adapt the bumper so that I can connect up the electrics as where I have positioned the terminal with minimal cutout of the bumper I can not get the connecter of my lighting board on to it. Shame as looks like the bumper will have to come off again.

Does anyone have a picture of the rear bumper with tow bar for a sport model.

Thanks

Guest john-boy
John-Boy thanks for your help. I have now wired it in with the exception of the reversing light which I'll do later. I understand theat the wire for that is in the door pillar on the drivers side.

I was able to connect the relay directly to the reversing light wire at the rear light unit, same way I did the other lights.

Didn't go near the door pillar. :?

I was able to connect the relay directly to the reversing light wire at the rear light unit, same way I did the other lights.

Didn't go near the door pillar. :?

but the reverse light is in the tailgate on the touring hence this route.

Guest john-boy

:oops::oops::oops: Its a touring, I must learn to read the whole post before replying.

I'v only done the saloon type but I'd imagine a feed could be taken from the loom where it passes into the roof of the car & routed down to the boot area.

:oops::oops::oops: Its a touring, I must learn to read the whole post before replying.

I'v only done the saloon type but I'd imagine a feed could be taken from the loom where it passes into the roof of the car & routed down to the boot area.

Hi and thanks. No problem. I do the same!!!

Yes I have found the loom which is rear pillar drivers side. I just have to tap into it when I finish it off later today. I also plan to issue full instructions and pictures for others. Really has been quite an easy job, and whilst lots of help on the fitting of the bar, the help on fitting the electrics has been more limited. At least for a lat person like myself.

Ahh, now. I'v been a member for 5 minutes & hopefully could be of some help here

Thats the way we roll, here at 5 :D

Glad you got it sorted guys and a big welcome to the both of you.