duncan-uk

Calling the experts e34 B10 Allrad

Intrigued by these - as far as i can ascertain there is around 150 made and they have a 231 or 240bhp (depending what you read) 3.0 M50 engine.

Other than that i can find nothing - anyone know more about them? ie what else they did suspension wise etc?

The B10 Allrad was based on the E34 525iX .

The engine was stroked to 3.0 , and increased

power to 231PS .

There were 63 Saloons and 70 tourings built

between '93-'96 . All were LHD .

They were most popular in the Skandinavian

countries , and also Switzerland and Austria ,

although a few filtered out to other countries .

Non went to the UK .

They're nice cars to run , not much difference

to a 525iX except because power/weight ratio

is better , so is fuel consumption .

Nearly all that I have seen were well equipped

with leather/kliima/elec windows/sun-roof .

If you're looking to buy one , this has to be the

best available , but at a cost !! @£30k !!

http://www.cars4you.ch/sea_det.cfm?vehicleid=4296026&searchmodeldesc=5%20SERIES&language=de&searchmakedesc=BMW-ALPINA&quicksearch=1&stylecode=10&freetext=false&step=30&vehiclescount=6&pagingpos=0&firstsort=6&menutype=search&defaultlist=4296026,4405597,4448182,4553633,4562819,4254201

I had chance to buy a friends here , but didn't have

money at the time , which was real shame , because

it drove superbly and is obviously a rare car , so is

a nice classic .

Chris

If I'm fortunate enough to have plenty money and a house with a big garage, one of these B10's would definitely be in my collection!!! It's a pity they are all left hadn drive though?? Was it never marketed well in this country?? and that's perhaps why none were sold here??

Especially when we get other rare 4x4 models from other manufactrer's in this country? And we already had the IX anyway??

I'd be very curious to drive one and see how it compares to the IX i used to have. :?

Greig.

Thanks Chris, it was more to find out the spec to see if it was worth 'making' and all rad from my iX

I thought the spoiler and wheels would be fairly straight forward to obtain, then some lowering springs and then i thought about building a 2.8 M5 which should see 220+ bhp

If I'm fortunate enough to have plenty money and a house with a big garage, one of these B10's would definitely be in my collection!!! It's a pity they are all left hadn drive though?? Was it never marketed well in this country?? and that's perhaps why none were sold here??

Especially when we get other rare 4x4 models from other manufactrer's in this country? And we already had the IX anyway??

I'd be very curious to drive one and see how it compares to the IX i used to have. :?

Greig.

I believe basically it was developed for customers in snowy wintry

countries who also wanted something a bit special from normal .

The reason that it never got to RHD is because the 6-branch exhaust

manifold would catch on the steering column , hence the reason it

never reached the UK .

Driving wise , it depends on what spec your old car was , whether it

had 'M' tech suspension or not , but basically you would notice more

grunt , with a smoother power output and less of a need to rev it to

keep it going . Handling wise , typical Alpina , a smooth complient ride

a little stiffer than standard , but not uncomfortably so .

I'm defiantely with you , if I had no purse strings I'd definately have

one , but it'd have to be the Touring for me .

Thanks Chris, it was more to find out the spec to see if it was worth 'making' and all rad from my iX

I thought the spoiler and wheels would be fairly straight forward to obtain, then some lowering springs and then i thought about building a 2.8 M5 which should see 220+ bhp

The spoiler is a 'standard' E34 Alpina one , so you prob wudn't have any

trouble finding one of those .

However , the wheels are special Allrad only (due to the ET of the 4wd) so I

think they would be quite hard to source , if not nigh on impossible .

With the engine , depends what you want to do , but if you want to strip

down the 2.5 and put in an ETA crankshaft and rods , then you can stroke it

to 3.0 , which is basically what Alpina and Schnitzer did with theirs .

With Schrick camshafts and a remap you should see 230-240 in my opinion .

Good luck

Chris

AIUI they used e36 wheel offsets - only a few mm out.

Engine wise the rods and pistons from a M52 2.8 fit in without machining so you get an M50 2.8 - M52's with the 2,5 manifold. BBTB and a remap see 220 ish and it would be a cheap conversion due to may cooked 2.8's about.

Its idle speculation TBH as i will probably sell the car before too long along with my e46 and get a nice e39 530d touring

Hi,

I thought I would join the Allrad discussion as Steven C recently sent me the parts catalogue for the B10 Allrad, which I have attached so you can see what is required, provided you can speak a little German.

As you can see from the photos in the parts catalogue, the engine is a V6 3.0L engine which in the Allrad develops 170KW (231 BHP) and appears to be downrated from the standard 3.0L engine as fitted to the E36 which developed 184KW/250BHP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina).

Now that Allrad in Switzerland is still available, £33,800 at today's exchange rate. Hmmmmm. No, I can't afford it either.

Oh well,

Geoff

Thats very interesting Dongiov, thanks- sold mine a while back as i was scared a cheap car could ruin me if a unique part went pop but fwiw i figured you could fit e36 alpina wheels, some lowering springs a front spoiler and build a steel 2.8 M50 (ie stroke the 2.5 lump) and get 70% of an allrad for not much cash.

As so many things a pipe dream!

I nearly bought a mint bright red 525ix Touring a few years ago with the same intention of making a B10 Allrad - the red car had a full sport bodykit, black inside and I had an M5 Touring leather interior to go in and there was an E36 B3 3.0 breaking at the time for an engine - but as you say, pipe dreams.

Alpina's are effectively Individual cars as far as the interior (and your wallet) would go so comfort/sports/stripe/recaro can be found. Suspension is Alpina.

HTH

Alpina's are effectively Individual cars as far as the interior (and your wallet) would go so comfort/sports/stripe/recaro can be found. Suspension is Alpina.

HTH

Gents,

Suspension is BMW M-Tech / 'low slung sports' on the Alpina B10 3.0 Allrad - see page 10 of the catalogue posted "Fahrwerk - Wie serie BMW M-Technik"

Synters explained that the items in the allrad parts catalogue were the only parts different - ie if if nots in the catalogue it is standard BMW 525iX.

Edited by stevenc3828

Gents,

Suspension is BMW M-Tech / 'low slung sports' on the Alpina B10 3.0 Allrad - see page 10 of the catalogue posted "Fahrwerk - Wie serie BMW M-Technik"

Synters explained that the items in the allrad parts catalogue were the only parts different - ie if if nots in the catalogue it is standard BMW 525iX.

Yes, I'm happy to be corrected about the suspension, it most be one of the very few Alpina's with stock BMW suspension.

There is however an article about a rhd B10Allrad saloon in the Nov 2001 Total BMW magazine that notes a 25mm lowering with Alpina springs, and also notes there are/were 2 Rhd saloons made up at Sytner. Sadly the reg number of the car in the article 'B10 FWD', is not on Askmid.

Yes, I'm happy to be corrected about the suspension, it most be one of the very few Alpina's with stock BMW suspension.

There is however an article about a rhd B10Allrad saloon in the Nov 2001 Total BMW magazine that notes a 25mm lowering with Alpina springs, and also notes there are/were 2 Rhd saloons made up at Sytner. Sadly the reg number of the car in the article 'B10 FWD', is not on Askmid.

I have the November 2001 article and I'll scan it asap. 'B10FWD' was '2Jam' before it that helps? I had the other RHD manual Sytner B10 3.0 Allrad before it rotted away.

I think there must have been either journalistic license in the article or the owner was mis told / mis sold or put the 2wd alpina rear springs on.

Can't beat the facts in the parts catalogue :-)

One day I will - and you can hold me to this - be turning my iX into an Allrad rep.

There was a refurbished B10 3.0 Allrad engine on ebay.de recently that went for £965

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180795405465&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

I have the November 2001 article and I'll scan it asap.

Copy of the November 2001 Total BMW article on the switchable auto Alpina B10 3.0 Allrad saloon attached

I guess the back issue service for magazines won't go back this far... :wink:

Total BMW's website is http://www.total-bmw-mag.co.uk/

e34_Alpina_B10_3,0_ALLRAD_Total_BMW_Nov2001.pdf