Bedingfield

Apologies for the noob question...

I did have a rummage around using the search button, but i couldnt really find anything. Here goes the questioning :D

I am a little confused regarding all the 'marks' of navigation software on e39 m5's.

Mine is a 2001 with widescreen display, sat nav and comm's pack.

I have poked around with the controls and, I have 3-1/21 in the top right of my display.

Does this mean I have mk3 software?

I would really like to update to the fresher navigation screen that I see some of you guys have.

I believe that x5world is the way to go right?

And finally, to conclude my barrage of questions for the evening;

My 6 disc cd changer in the boot has no comprehension of the mp3 cd's that I put in it, have I burnt them wrong or can It simply not read it?

I hope there is a way of getting more that just cd size audio to play in my m5. I have read about the alpine Ipod adapter, but this completely replaces the changer doesn’t it? Making cd playback of any kind impossible. Also I have DSP so I believe I will need and analogue to digital converter or something?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Hi Dan. You do indeed appear to have a Mk3 system...the MK4 is DVD driven iirc. Software upgrades can be had from X5world but I believe you can only go up so far on the software update version. Afaik the oem cd changer wont play MP3 format..something like this should solve your needs though.

I have poked around with the controls and, I have 3-1/21 in the top right of my display.

Does this mean I have mk3 software?

I would really like to update to the fresher navigation screen that I see some of you guys have.

Thats the old full screen Mk III software, V16.2, really quite old! To update that you will require the software CD and a KeyCD. Be VERY carefull updating a MK III, they can be rendered inopperable if you use the wrong format software CD.

I believe that x5world is the way to go right?

Yes, there is a lot of information on X5World, or Xoutpost as it's now known.

And finally, to conclude my barrage of questions for the evening;

My 6 disc cd changer in the boot has no comprehension of the mp3 cd's that I put in it, have I burnt them wrong or can It simply not read it?

CD Changers made from September 2005 can read MP3 CD's, older versions can not.

I hope there is a way of getting more that just cd size audio to play in my m5. I have read about the alpine Ipod adapter, but this completely replaces the changer doesn’t it? Making cd playback of any kind impossible.

The Intravee supports the use of both an iPOd and CD Changer, you will need an AI-Net switch (KCA-410c, KCA-400C or the Intravee switch) and an Alpine AI-Net CD Changer (CHA-S634, CHA-S624, CHA-S614, CHA-S605, CHA-S604, CHA-1214, CHA-1204).

Also I have DSP so I believe I will need and analogue to digital converter or something?

It's likley that you have 'Digital' DSP in that age of car, but check first. Look at the CD Changer connections, if you have a small round cable and a 3 pin cable then you have the Digital version. If you have a 3 and 6 pin connector then you have the analogue version. If you have a 3 pin, 6 pin and small round cable, disconnect the small round cable - if you still have CD Changer audio then you have Analogue, if you lose sound then you have Digital. If you have Digital then you need an A/D converter. ToysInYourCar sell pretty much all you need, except the Alpine CD Changer

just had a quick read about this, but what benefits are there for the nav upgrades, i havenot yet checked to see which version i have, but what benefits does the later software have over the earlier apart from suspected accururate mapping is the nav system in general easier to operate.

post code searching would be a dream as i cannot do this with mine, unless BMW never made a post code software system?

It depends what Nav and software you have.

The main 'steps' are :

Mk III

3-1/30 -> 3-1/40 Split screen graphics

Mk IV

4-1/30 -> 4-1/40 Support for 'Static' text display, required for full Intravee support.

4-1/50 -> 4-1/60 Antialiased map and smoother scrolling

4-1/60 -> 4-1/70 Perspective view

With the Mk IV you can add your own points of interest to the map DVD, but you can't do it for the Mk I, II or III. People have added Speed Cameras and full Post Code search, it's a bit clunky but it works. There are also 'hacks' to the latest Mk IV software 4-1/00 (or the V32 software CD) that can give things like audible alerts when approaching Speed Cameras and a Night View mode (darker colours). Have a look on Xoutpost.

So post 2005 cd players can do mp3 discs eh? Would this be a plug and play solution?

And continuing the questions about software upgrades; I have found the download links on xoutpost, but I am unsure about matching the 'v' numbers to what I have and need.

Also I have found that the top part of the page including the 'oldest' v26 is for mk4 only, I followed this link : http://gren.ru/navi%20OS%20software.html but my eastern block languages are not that sharp!

What in the name of himmel to do I download?

This talk of rendering my mk3 useless worries me a little too, what precautions do I need to take?

Thanks all.

With the MK III you MUST make sure that the CD you burn is an ISO Mode 2 Form 1 disk. That's an unusual format for a PC CD. If the format is incorrect the OS will become corrupt and you'll have difficulty ejecting the disk, the Nav will be useless until you update correctly and if you leave it in the car in this state you may flatten the car battery. You can use any version of the CD that's V22 or later, each newer disk has the latest version for each Nav system, so many different CDs have the same software for the MK I, MK II and MK III. This is the correct format CD, download, unzip and open the BIN file with UltraISO or ImageBurn then burn to good quality media at slow speed.

You MUST also have the KeyCD (link on Xoutpost), you'll need it when you upgrade. This CD is another odd format, your PC won't read it if it's correct! You'll need CloneCD I believe to burn the KeyCD image from the Xoutpost link.