Smiler

Polybush kits

Hello folks,

I want to rebush my track day beemer 'Bratwurst' with polybushes. I have seen the powerflex kits available on ebay but the rear kits only cover four bushes, two of the subframe bushes and the anti-roll bar bushes. There's no mention of the actual wishbone/swing-arm bushes. Is there a reson for this or are they available from other manufacturers?

Cheers,

Smiler.

But surely after the best part of 200K and 18years the old rubber bushes in the wishbones must getting past there best now and would benefit from replacement. Not to mention the other two subframe mounting bushes.

i have a full polybush kit on mine (purple) the rear are yellow i think. they are on ebay as a full kit. they do make a good difference when combined with a front strut brace and an m5 touring rear ARB no more understeer!

Is this the powerflex kit? Did it include the wishbone bushes? The ebay ads I have seen only include two subframe bushes and two anti-roll bar bushes.

my car has front and rear arb polly bushes also rear subframe bushes and upper and lower rack control arms (or thrust arm and wishbone) am 99% (dont have the bill for them) certain they are made by powerflex and would advise the upgrade its a hell of alot more responsive in corners.

also i have heard that the black compound is much better than the purple mine has purple lower and black uppers if i remember correctly. people have said that the purple are not a strong enough compound for the e34's weight and can develop the shimmy as a result of it (mine has been fine and have been fitted over a year and over 12k of millage) the black ones in the above link are the ones to have esp for a track car as the added stress of track use the purple compund may not be a good choice if they die out fast.

sorry i forgot in the above post if you buy an ///m kit the arb will be a different size, but i have a link here and you can buy from powerflex direct and it also has a nice diagram of all the bushes they do for the e34 in real colours! (i was right my rear beam bushes are yellow) any way heres the link:

Thanks very much for that, I have had a look at the links (now in my favourites thingy) and have emailed Powerflex direct to ask as to why they don't seem to have bothered manufacturing replacement buches for the rear wishbones.

I'm glad you mentioned about the different compounds as I hadn't thought of that yet. Even lightened as it is it's still no caterham!

Whilst on the subject of suspension, do you know if there's any physical difference (other than weight and material) between the standard front arms and the alloy ones from the more powerfull cars?

Thanks for the help,

Smiler.

forgot to say poly bushes will solve the weak problem but when i last bought the arms i got aluminium ones for a few £ more than the steel from euro parts, the bushes are not great in them and do not last as long as lemfoder but the ball joint and arm are fine (keep greaced as a precastion though) you can also get them a bit cheaper with out the bushes in and as theres polly bushes going in anyway this is a bonus.

Hopefully I'll be picking up some secondhand alloy arms from a certain write off but if not or if there worn themselves I'll bear that in mind.

Cheers.

That seems quite reasonable. The car won't be doing huge mileage as it will be predominantly for use on track days but it will be gettiong driven hard when it is used.

I've got the aluminium lower arms too, I agree with E34M5 about the inner bushes - they are not very durable - I have noticed movement in mine after 2 years use. I had an advisory about them on my last MOT.

HTH,

Shaun M

Well as said hopefully that won't be a problem if they get replaced with poly bushes anyway. As long as the ball joint end is of good enough quality.

On 8/5/2009 at 4:52 AM, e34m525i said:

also i have heard that the black compound is much better than the purple mine has purple lower and black uppers if i remember correctly. people have said that the purple are not a strong enough compound for the e34's weight and can develop the shimmy as a result of it (mine has been fine and have been fitted over a year and over 12k of millage) the black ones in the above link are the ones to have esp for a track car as the added stress of track use the purple compund may not be a good choice if they die out fast.

How are the poly bushes holding up? And is the vibration and road noise harsh for daily with the powerflex ones?