pfinucane

too many bloody accidents

Just curious as to whether I am the only one with my kind of luck.

Since November I have had 3 accidents since November, none of em my fault grrrrrrrr, I am beginning to think maybe the wife is paying some not very good hitmen !

In November in company audi a4 driving quite happily down the middle lane of the M25 by clacketts and some fecking german lorry driver nudged me into the fast lane, luckily noone driving like a loony so survived to give him a rollicking on the hard shoulder and I heard those wonderful words 'sorry-I didnt see you' !

One week later Im driving a company a3, sitting stationery at the dartford tolls and im hit by a vw golf at what felt like about 50, scared the crap outta me, hit me into the car in front, golf a write off, a3 a write off, driver of the golf had been driving back from south of france and was really tired. Insurance took 3 months to sort out as the dipstick decided to dispute the claim saying I had cut in front of him, I had been stationery for a good 30 seconds and def didnt cut him up, I had passed him about 2 minutes before, only good thing was I got a really nice a3 S-line 2.0tdi quattro (170bhp model) as a courtesy car which was a lot of fun.

Just got back into a bm after about a year away due to financial probs, got a really nice mint 2002 e39 525d se touring with low miles and a lovely spec, had the car 2 weeks and am driving home, about 200 yards from my turning and some silly corsa driver decides to right turn at the last minute in front of me and to make matters worse thought better of it and slammed the anchors on and stopped across the front of me meaning I slammed into the side of the car, after tears and many apologies (from them) checked my car, damaged front bumper, bonnet & drivers side front wing & headlight smashed.Should have it back within about 2 weeks as they admitted liability quickly thankfully.

Interestingly as a courtesy car I have been given a Subaru Forester which is a bit of an enigma-its a dog ugly 4x4 suv kind of car, looks like a jacked up estate car but it goes like absolute stink, I think its a 2.5 twin turbo and in a straight line would almost (but not quite) have the legs on e34 m5's I have owned in the past, but due to being a jeepy kind of thing just wont get around corners quick enough.I have to admit its a lot of fun though as I often get boy racers in saxo's etc flying up my arse , obviously thinking 'get out of the way you silly person in your family load lugger that cant muster 80mph 'only for me to stomp on the gas and blow em into the weeds.The engine is absolutely beautiful with power on tap from 0 revs right up to 6500/7000, I really have gained a new found respect for Subaru's.That said I really cant wait to get back into my hewn from granite e39, it is so much more refined and cosseting but with decent power on tap (particularly when exploring the steptronic box) and even though its a tourer still handles fantastically.

I guess this thread proves you can get positives out of most situations as although I have been hit by three absolute muppets I have still had a lot of fun with the cars supplied as courtesy cars which otherwise I wouldnt have had the chance to experience.

I would be interested to hear however if anyone can beat me in having 3 accidents in such a short space of time in 3 different cars-Guinness book of records anyone ??

Paul

You were probably in the German truck drivers blind-spot (assuming he was LHD) a common problem with foreign trucks, and maybe not 100% his fault.

Another major problem for truck drivers on motorways is car drivers who refuse to move over when the outside lane is clear, you sometimes have to edge out slowly to force them out if you are coming up quickly on a slower vehicle in the inside lane, then they give you abuse as if you've done something wrong when it's them who can't drive properly on the motorway.

I've got to agree with Alan regarding the German truck, too many car drivers just don't realise the danger they are in when they are travelling alongside a LHD truck. If you find yourself alongside one at the same speed that you can't pass because of traffic, NEVER travel directly alongside the cab, ALWAYS drop back a little so the driver can see you in his mirrors. The same applies when travelling on the inside of a RHD truck. I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an accident of this kind involving a foreign truck every day on UK motorways.

then they give you abuse as if you've done something wrong when it's them who can't drive properly on the motorway.

Like the muppets who firmly believe the inside lane is for commercial vehicles only? Couple that with the twats who believe they have a God-given right to sit in the outside lane even if the inside lanes are clear 'because they are doing 70 mph and it's a limit, not a target'! :evil:

As for accidents, my sister has had 6 in the past year, mainly small stuff but she did get a cyclist come across a set of traffic lights into her side door and almost through the window. He then tried to say she had run an amber light, but there were three witnesses including that rarity, a copper on foot patrol who saw him swerve past a line of stationary traffic then pull across on the red!

Couple that with the twats who believe they have a God-given right to sit in the outside lane

I've lost count of the ammount of times that i've been travelling on the motorway, in the inside lane, doing 56mph at 3 or 4 in the morning, and then someone passing in the outside lane and going out of sight, still sat in the outside lane. It seems like the outside lane is rapidly becoming the new middle lane..........pure laziness.

Watched an M5 M161*** racing a 3 series estate down onto the A5 north of milton Keynes off the slip road last night.My wife was in Front on her motorbike and a mate was in front of her.

No way of warning her .So i had to watch whilst one went alongside her on the inside trying to force her into the ofside lane.The M5 at the same time went into the offside lane giving her no where to go.

She had to slam her anchors on whilst they carried on racing.

They did'nt notice me catch up Very very easily :twisted:

I think what it boils down to is that there are far too many people on the roads who really can't drive to a safe standard. That's polite for 'there are too many idiots on the roads'.

A lot of drivers have successfully convinced a driving examiner that they satisfy the requirements to pass a driving test, but that is all it is. Many of them are lacking in basic skills and knowledge required to drive safely on the road.

The best way to stay safe is to never assume the other driver is going to do the right thing, has seen you, is really going to turn left just because their indicator is on, is going to stop because you've stopped and are waiting to turn right, etc etc.

I've run out of fingers to count the number of accidents I've avoided when other drivers have pulled out of junctions when it wasn't safe, shot across roundabouts when there were cars coming, swerved onto the wrong side of the road to overtake cars when the road wasn't clear etc etc.

A lot of drivers seem to have a very limited awareness of what's going on around them. And I suspect, an uncanny urge to never actually slow their vehicle down, at any cost. Is it something they thought they were taught in a driving lesson ? Maybe they mistook the idea of making good progress for an excuse to never use the brake pedal apart from when stopping at traffic lights or something.

What's happening in front of the car, van, motorbike, lorry, bus in front of you ? Are you far back enough to see ? Will you have time to take avoiding action if something happens, so you can avoid crashing into the wreckage ? Some of the muppets I've encountered would not.

Claim.jpg

171.jpg

You were probably in the German truck drivers blind-spot (assuming he was LHD) a common problem with foreign trucks, and maybe not 100% his fault.

Another major problem for truck drivers on motorways is car drivers who refuse to move over when the outside lane is clear, you sometimes have to edge out slowly to force them out if you are coming up quickly on a slower vehicle in the inside lane, then they give you abuse as if you've done something wrong when it's them who can't drive properly on the motorway.

do truck drivers have a different version of the highway code? one that allows you to perform a maneuver without first making sure that it's clear to do so?

Also when I learnt to drive it was made clear to me that you should never complete a maneuver that will force another driver to stop, slow down or swerve - I would say that bullying your way into the middle lane and 'forcing' other drivers to suddenly change lane is the exact opposite of that. As far as I know, there's nothing in the highway code that states a driver in lane 2 has to give way for a driver in lane 1 to pull out to avoid slower traffic - why would truck drivers be any different?

I'm by no means an expert driver, but I suspect that when people give you abuse for causing them to change direction unwillingly, they may have a point.

do truck drivers have a different version of the highway code? one that allows you to perform a maneuver without first making sure that it's clear to do so?

Also when I learnt to drive it was made clear to me that you should never complete a maneuver that will force another driver to stop, slow down or swerve - I would say that bullying your way into the middle lane and 'forcing' other drivers to suddenly change lane is the exact opposite of that. As far as I know, there's nothing in the highway code that states a driver in lane 2 has to give way for a driver in lane 1 to pull out to avoid slower traffic - why would truck drivers be any different?

I'm by no means an expert driver, but I suspect that when people give you abuse for causing them to change direction unwillingly, they may have a point.

Hear hear!!!

sorry alangregson - not meant to be a personal attack, though after re-reading it, it now seems like it!

just meant to say that i've seen that happen on the motorway a few times, once with disasterous consequences. I think perhaps lorry drivers feel pretty safe up in their cabs and forget how intimidating and panic-causing it is for a car or bike driver to see a lorry unexpectedly comng towards them at speed - in one instance the car pulled sharply into lane 3 and was rear ended by another car that couldn't slow down in time. Truk driver carried on regardless - very poor driving on all 3 drivers parts, but ultimately if truck driver hadn't tried to bully his way in to avoid being temporarily slowed down by a couple of MPH it would never have happened.

no offence meant :oops:

No, but trucks have blind spots, its not a car, you can't just look out of the passenger window and see another vehicle beside you. In a truck you are sitting well above the roof level of cars and if one is in the blind spot you may not see it in your mirrors (anyone who drives a truck will know what i mean)

As far as I know, there's nothing in the highway code that states a driver in lane 2 has to give way for a driver in lane 1 to pull out to avoid slower traffic - why would truck drivers be any different?

There's not, but its all about courtesy and reading the road ahead, not sitting in the middle lane with blinkers on, oblivious to all other traffic. Most drivers are aware of other traffic, but there is a minority that aren't. If you see a vehicle in front of you indicating to join the same lane as you, the courteous thing to do is, check your mirror and if the lane to your right is clear, move over and let the other vehicle move out.

Most nights going home and having to head into Aberdeen you have a slip road leading to the dualler, several infact, guarenteed 3 out of 5 nights a week a truck will try and pull out on you even when you can clearly see the outside lane is full and i have nowhere to go, nor any of the poor drivers behind me, no blind spots there...

Most nights going home and having to head into Aberdeen you have a slip road leading to the dualler, several infact, guarenteed 3 out of 5 nights a week a truck will try and pull out on you even when you can clearly see the outside lane is full and i have nowhere to go, nor any of the poor drivers behind me, no blind spots there...

Yes, there are also poor drivers in trucks.

Yip, just too many bloody stupid drivers in vehicles now, so much for the test being harder, seems easier with the driving standards on show now. Fair play to truckers there are a helluva lot of decent one's and i always make room for them or give way etc, pity only a minority of people seem to appreciate these things though :roll:

Keep up the standards though all you HGV'ers etc.

There's not, but its all about courtesy and reading the road ahead, not sitting in the middle lane with blinkers on, oblivious to all other traffic. Most drivers are aware of other traffic, but there is a minority that aren't. If you see a vehicle in front of you indicating to join the same lane as you, the courteous thing to do is, check your mirror and if the lane to your right is clear, move over and let the other vehicle move out.

Just to clarify I always read the road well ahead of me, neither do i sit in the middle lane, I use all lanes, give way to lorries as they obviously have the power to do greater damage etc etc.

In all three accidents detailed above there is absolutely no doubt that I was in no way at fault and do not accept any responsibility for foreign drivers who are unable to see me in their blindspots !

Not suggesting that these comments were aimed at me but just to be sure :-)

Just to clarify I always read the road well ahead of me, neither do i sit in the middle lane, I use all lanes, give way to lorries as they obviously have the power to do greater damage etc etc.

In all three accidents detailed above there is absolutely no doubt that I was in no way at fault and do not accept any responsibility for foreign drivers who are unable to see me in their blindspots !

Not suggesting that these comments were aimed at me but just to be sure :-)

I apologise if you feel that my comments were directed at you personally, they weren't. I was just trying to offer a possible explanation as to why you were hit by the foreign truck.

By a strange coincidence, i was watching an old edition of Fifth Gear on Dave this afternoon and they had a feature on this exact problem. They said there are an average of 2 of these accidents on UK roads every day, so it is something we should all be aware of.

You may be very unlucky and I am not suggesting for a minute that you are a bad driver but 3 accidents in such a short period of time suggests you may need to look inwards a little. Let me explain, hopefully without causing offence! :)

There is culpability, as in the eyes of the law and insurance companies for which it sounds in your cases that you are in the clear. Then there is self preservation which has bog all to do with whose fault it is. Most (decent) bikers will tell you there is no point in being in the right if you are dead, what that practically means is you take the responsibility for others lack of awareness/skill/whatever. Its a mantra that has served me very well and has been reinforced by advanced driver training (private, not the IAM!).

I couldnt give a toss if the person that pulls out in front of me is at fault, that isnt going to help my kids if said person kills me, so I take the view that I have the oppurtunity to avert danger in 99.99% of cases which I do, by assuming that twatty is going to pull out in front of me and allowing space/covering brakes/speeding up even..

Hope this makes sense, only you can honestly look back on the incidents and consider whether something you could have done differently would have resulted in a different outcome, regardless of fault. What is good news is that you werent hurt in any of the incidents - this clearly could have been very different...

Cheers,

Pad

Then there is self preservation which has bog all to do with whose fault it is. Most (decent) bikers will tell you there is no point in being in the right if you are dead, what that practically means is you take the responsibility for others lack of awareness/skill/whatever. Its a mantra that has served me very well and has been reinforced by advanced driver training (private, not the IAM!).

I couldnt give a toss if the person that pulls out in front of me is at fault, that isnt going to help my kids if said person kills me, so I take the view that I have the oppurtunity to avert danger in 99.99% of cases which I do, by assuming that twatty is going to pull out in front of me and allowing space/covering brakes/speeding up even. Pad

I am a firm believer that experience as a biker gives you a lot healthier sense of self preservation and a far greater awareness of road conditions and the liklyhood of others to act the pillock! You can almost read what the other driver is going to do and give them as wide a berth as possible, never more so than when watching someone tailgating a slower vehicle, you just know they are concentrating on getting past and have no idea you are coming up behind them.

You can tell the biker even when he is driving a car, he's the one who doesn't just rely on his mirrors before manouvering, he does the all important over-the-shoulder safety check as well :wink:

There is culpability, as in the eyes of the law and insurance companies for which it sounds in your cases that you are in the clear. Then there is self preservation which has bog all to do with whose fault it is. Most (decent) bikers will tell you there is no point in being in the right if you are dead, what that practically means is you take the responsibility for others lack of awareness/skill/whatever. Its a mantra that has served me very well and has been reinforced by advanced driver training .

This is a kind of unspoken rule that I have driven by for 23 years, just all seems to have happened at once !

BTW when the lorry driver hit me I was actually in front of him, he was on the inside lane and I was on the middle-dont really think that blind spots come into it !

Other accidents have been unavoidable, IE, hit up the arse when stationery for one and some muppet pulling out across the front of me at the last minute at speed and then stopping dead in front of me.

Paul

BTW - I hope no one took what I said in my last post as a dig at anyone. It's just general observations based on experience of muppetry I've seen and experienced on the roads.

Anyway, Has anyone been watching those police stop type programs where they show American police and accident footage ? On a few clips I've seen, they've shown footage taken from an in car video camera supplied by an insurance company, which can be used to establish blame in the event of an accident. Does anyone know what the camera is called, of if the same kind of thing is available over here. Sounds like a really good idea to me.

I share your angst at how bad it is on the roads :(

Its crap !

We do everything we can to stay off the roads during:

Rush hour on weekday mornings.

Rush hour on weekday afternoons.

School run times at each end of the day.

9pm ish at weekends because of the drivers going out to the pubs.

From 11pm onwards for the same reasons.

Saturdays we generally stay out of town because of the do or die shopping bitches (male and female)

I can summarise the whole of the problems on our roads in one easy explanation: driving skills and standards on the roads vary far too much.

If everyone drive to a reasonable band width of driving standards it would be much better and safer on the roads.

Do you ever venture out your house HOS?^^^

How expensive is balls of cotton wool now?

BTW when the lorry driver hit me I was actually in front of him, he was on the inside lane and I was on the middle-dont really think that blind spots come into it !
You'd be surprised, remember the guy is sitting on the other side of the cab and a lot higher than you, you have to come forward of his position for him to be able to see you. You couldn't have been very far in front or he wouldn't have hit you, so he probably started to pull out when you were in his blind spot. I'm not saying it wasn't his fault, but it's worth appreciating the other driver's situation.

Do you ever venture out your house HOS?^^^

How expensive is balls of cotton wool now?

Good point :wink::D

I work from home and do`nt need to go out except when we want to, so we can generally avoid the

rampant idiocy on the roads.

Both of us have had very serious RTAs where we nearly ddint make it. throw in some lifetime serious injuries and we think

a bit differently and have a different perspective to most :wink:

For us its a question of picking our times and routes.

Say if we are out and about late at night, when we come home we will avoid the town centre and take a longer route that is quiet.

Its not fear in our case, its just "avoidance" :D

I do recall you mentioning an accident a while back now. Wasn't being arsey in my post though :)

Can't see the roads ever getting better unfortunately :roll: