e60london

painting the calipers

Hi guys,

Got a black e60 with msport alloys and desperately want the calipers painted red!

Problem is, I'm not good at taking alloys of and painting so want it done professionally-dnt wanna mess up the car!

Does anyone know a garage/bodyshop that can do it in london AND how much will this set me back?????

It can't be that much coz all it is is taking tyre off and spraying.

Pls let us know guys!

Cheers.

Just got off the phone to C1 Automotives and they quoted me £180 inclusive of parts and labour. Quite tempted actually.

I'm pants at diy and have no garage so couldnt leave the wheels off. What do you reckon?

For 180, at least i add a mod to my car and know its been painted professionally. Do they give it a bit of gloss when they paint it? :?:?:?

I don't know what paint they use but I can tell you that Foliatec caliper paint does leave a long lasting gloss as opposed to Hammerite which doesn't leave much of a gloss and what gloss it does leave doesn't last very long..........depending on what colour you're after Foliatec can be had from Halfords for £5 per pack :wink: .......it's normally £26.99 in Halfords although you MUST reserve it on line you CANNOT just go into the shop and buy it cause it will cost you the full price i.e. £26.99.

Bryan

PS for a set of 4 callipers one pack of Foliatec would suffice!

I don't know what paint they use but I can tell you that Foliatec caliper paint does leave a long lasting gloss as opposed to Hammerite which doesn't leave much of a gloss and what gloss it does leave doesn't last very long..........depending on what colour you're after Foliatec can be had from Halfords for £5 per pack :wink: .......it's normally £26.99 in Halfords although you MUST reserve it on line you CANNOT just go into the shop and buy it cause it will cost you the full price i.e. £26.99.

Bryan

PS for a set of 4 callipers one pack of Foliatec would suffice!

Top tip. And also for anyone painting the calipers, I have seen on the E60.net forum, someone who painted it black (black car also) and it was just super. i am planning to do the same come summer time.

With my jack, I don't think it takes a lot to do two calipers per day. My plan would be to remove wheel, gunk remover, wash, and dry. Then do the other side. Have lunch, come back and start painting. Park car in garage or on drive and next day (sunday) do the remaining two. just hope out british weather gives me the two clear days.

Will be a lot cheaper than paying a garage to do it IMHO. Check the E60.net forum for instructions to paint it.

cheers

ps: Save you guys the time, try this link.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=72743&hl=caliper&st=0

Calipers were painted black but if you go to page 2, there are more links on how to paint calipers. Note the warning. :)

^^^^^ what to do is get a mate to give you hand........he can be washing, claying and waxing (3 coats is good 8) ) the wheels while they're off the car, Finish Kare 1000P is good and it's a high temp wax aswell, after that just a quick spritz with Z8 to give them a bit more sparkle :wink:

Bryan

That doesn't sound too bad slab. Buy you're mate luchn and he won't complain!

I've just been quoted £90 to do all four from mstyle.co.uk. Siad thye only need the car for two hours as they use high temp paint so dries quicker.

Even more tempted now! deffo next paycheck i.e end april

That doesn't sound too bad slab. Buy you're mate luchn and he won't complain!

I've just been quoted £90 to do all four from mstyle.co.uk. Siad thye only need the car for two hours as they use high temp paint so dries quicker.

Even more tempted now! deffo next paycheck i.e end april

2 hours they must have a few people working it........1 to each wheel I recon........£90 is very good price aswell 8) .......normally you need to leave the car standing for 24hours to allow the paint to harden.

Bryan

Sounded like they weren't busy-told me I could come in anytime so I guess the credit crunch is affecting sales.

Only issue atm is my shock absorbers at the back. My cars been squeeking when I drive since I got it.

Only had it 3 1/2 weeks!!!!!!! I'm gonna try and get the garage where I bought it to fix it for free!

What u guys think? (Its from big motoring world, kent)

hi,

i painted my calipers myself, took about 2 hours

i used halfords paint on red caliper paint (£10 per tin) this gives you a thicker coat and brushed and dried really smooth.

it has a good gloss finish and has been on for about 8 weeks no and has not faded or chipped.

jacked up the car and removed both wheels front and back on one side, painted one then moved on to the front by the time i had finished the front i moved back to the rear and gave it a second coat then back to the front for the fronts second coat.

then put wheels back on and changed sides and repeated.

total cost £10 paint

one paint brush £1

one wire brush £2

hope this helps

simon

post-7628-13074206901127_thumb.jpg