Sign in to follow this  
MM85

E34 Brakes - Not Very Responsive

Hi,

My 1995 E34 brakes dont seem to respond well, the pedal seems stiff and not much movement, apart from Dics and Pads have you any idea what might be causing the problem?

Cheers

Which engine and year is it - some have a vacuum servo, others a hydraulic pumped system I believe.

Those symptoms on my car would indicate the brake pressure accumulator is damaged/worn out and needs replacement

Did you fix this ?

Again I have the same problem (another thread highjack!!!) where you put your foot on the brake and it works well for about 2 seconds then you have to put it down really hard to stop - nightmare on motorway slip roads !!!

Was told it could be the vacuum servo - is this located ot the front of the cam ?

I've changed my front discs and pads (rear ones need doing) and just had all brakes bled and new brake fluid in and it seems to have got worse :shock:

Servo or pump :?

You could try to use the VIN number on real OEM website and you'll probably be able to tell which you have, or at least what the servo / pump look like so you can have a look yourself.

If you car is diesel powered i would say without a doubt its the vacuum pump on the engine thats sh***ed, Or possibly the plastic rigid hose from vacuum pump to the brake servo has a hole in it or is split.

should be fairly easy to sort if that is the case

FIVE-OH - Your spot on :D

Took it apart tonight and found 1 of the 3 springy things not doing it's job, now on the look out for a replacement, thanks for the advice :mrgreen: