neetin

e39 Sound system upgrade

hi guy i though i put up some pics of my upgraded sound system in my e39 530d M sport.

I don't have pics of the rear speaker installation but i cut out the 2 hole that are required for the Premium system where the sub woofer enclosure goes so that i can get the bass in the car. I also have covered the hole with some heavy duty material as i notice that i was getting bad condensation on the back window which is now prevent by having the material over the holes. The Tweeters have been upgraded as well in the original location.

But the sound is fantastic would recommend an audio upgrade of a similar sort for Crisp clear sound with a punch from the rear.

I have kept the Original Sat nav system in the car.

Focal: 130KP Components front speakers

Focal: FOCAL-130CVX Coaxial speakers

Alpine: PDX 4.100 4 channel amp

Alpine: PDX 1.600 Mono amp

Alpine: SWR-1042D sub boxed

Thanks Neetin

post-5759-1307420374765_thumb.jpg

post-5759-13074203748655_thumb.jpg

post-5759-13074203754309_thumb.jpg

post-5759-13074203760138_thumb.jpg

post-5759-13074203765883_thumb.jpg

looks a nice install mate - very neat. If you have the time/inclination then you can replace the rear armrest with an 8" sub in a custom enclosure for maximum punch. Worked very nicely for me.

About you condensation -i've punched the holes out of every E39 saloon i owned - never go condensation. check your boot for leaks.

Thanks for the advice Dave much appreciated. I checked the boot over and theres not leak i think it could be the fact that i got the rear speaker fitted 1 week later and the shelf was not put back properly but all is ok now. I was considering the arm rest option but i didnt want to cut anything out so with a box its simple and sweet.

Nice install and some great quality gear there ;-) I have the same amps, focal components (K2 powers) and 2xType R subs...

i have a question for you as i have the same standard set up i assume you would have had, did you take your Amp feeds from the original tuner converting to RCA or high level inputs?

second question is when amping the focal upgrades you have done did you amp through original wiring again from the original tuners speaker output?

iv been trying to work out the best way for me to tap into the system to modify.

my plan was to do a custom front door build with a three way component set, replace rear shelf speakers with a coaxial and then install 2 x 12 inch subs or 1 x 15, i listen to alot of Reggae and RNB so the lower frequencies are desired and the clarity but want to maintain original tuner/screen as its a novelty and discreet to those looking through the windows.

any suggestions?

Ah - you can just pop the armrest out and build a sub box just the right size to get in its place! No cutting required and it looks so stealth. :mrgreen:

Iv never thought about that, Seems a good idea

Any pics of said installation?

Hi guys apologies for the late reply. I have used all the standard connection from the head unit so no additional wiring was require. We used the amp feeds from the orginal tuner converting to high level inputs. For focal i amped through the orignal wiring from the speaker output. the sound is brillaint however if u take the sub out the components dont give you as much bass as you require but its much better than the standard system by far more clarity and punch.

Neetin

Superdave I love that box you've built, absolutely perfect.

Can you still retain the centre arm rest or do you have to junk it as I like the look of it in place but folded down.

The speakers look small in the pics, im sure there 13cm, could just be the pics though....

No - they're 13cm - or 5 and a quarter inches in old money. The foam surround on the front of the speakers makes them look small.

They are 5.25 in the front brillaint set of Focal speakers really makes a different good quality speakers overal happy with the new sound. I am just upgrading the Sub to a Apline 1242D for bigger bass will post pics soon as i get it.

Thanks

Neetin

I got a mate who got his own company in crawley very professional my car sounds amazing i can find out his website and pass you on his contact details.

I got a mate who got his own company in crawley very professional my car sounds amazing i can find out his website and pass you on his contact details.

Hi, I would not mind his contact details also! :D