Sign in to follow this  
sach

Wheels for E28

Hi guys

I agree about the E38 16" wheels looking good as I've just bought a set of 15" BBS wheels from the E34....which look a bit balloon-like as you said!!! They're 225/60s.

But saying that, they're fine and have enough rubber to last a while, depending on my track day drive in a couple of weeks!!! £150 quid off of an MOT failure at Metro Breakers, NW London..

And yes, I quoted the TRX size incorrectly. They're 200/60 390mm - giving diameter of 24.8" against 25.6" for the 15" BBS.... These calcs tally up with this Wheel/Tire Tutorial which you may already have seen for the E28....

Any ideas on that skittling through the steering at 50-55mph? It's evident, but better after changing one of the steering links..

Any ideas on that skittling through the steering at 50-55mph? It's evident, but better after changing one of the steering links..

Very common problem apparently, it is most likely the upper and lower control arm bushes being tired or not up to it. Apparently if you get some some standard arms from Euro car parts / GSF and then replace the rubber bushes with powerflex one's you can cure it for good.

Cheers.

Have either of you experienced this before? Where did you hear about the Euro car parts arms/Powerflex bush scenario?

The car is otherwise a diamond, but this shimmying is disconcerting.. It's more apparent during deceleration..

its a classic e28/ e34 failing.

I replaced my whole TCA assembly (the ball joints are non-replaceable otherwise) and had the new bushes pressed out and powerflex ones fitted. (they where FOC ;) ) been hammered on track days since and all still well!

did my own, Bushes where free to me but i think they're about £15 each, and about £150 for the arms from memory

become a gold member and get 10% at german and swedish and you'll save your tenner and more straight off!

pretty basic spannering really, its one bolt at one end and a ball joint at the other, which you access by unbolting the plate from the bottom of the strut.

the only hard bit is getting bushes pressed out if changing to powerflex but they don't need to be pressed in, if going OE (i suggest lemfoeder) then no press required.

my local garage did the pressing for £10

The car failed MOT for slack steering drag link. Is this part of it? I had it replaced and it improved a little, but now feels the same after putting on the new wheels!

Sach, if you replaced it then its not likely to be the issue.

Bigger wheels exacerbates any play in the suspension. the 45/60 shimmy is generally shot bushes in the TCA's.

if you just do the bushes its about £50 in parts from memory and a friendly garage with a press.