Conan

e28 TrackCar questions for the experts.

how about a cheap e34 3.6 M5, sell off the interior, strip it right out (add lightness) and perhaps add some new suspension?

Whats your budget and how much can you do yourself?

how about a cheap e34 3.6 M5, sell off the interior, strip it right out (add lightness) and perhaps add some new suspension?

Whats your budget and how much can you do yourself?

Want something retro and old skool (otherwise an e36 M3 is easily biggest bang for my buck) - tempted with 6ixes all day but thats really silly!

Budget: depends on how much i can fleece my dad for and convince him on a 50:50 split. he still wants an 8series but i'd look like a dealer!

Call it 5-6K between us although maybe more for something special (bearing in mind our other plan is to ride the depreciation free wave of 12k Z3MCoupe ownership)

Fritz said they could build me a fully prepped track e28 for 7K (with that b10 engine) or they could put it in a 6series for 8K (which would be awesome!). This seems a bit steep next to your numbers you gave me (although the engine is 2k worth)

Just out of interest does £1500 for a B10 engine sound fair, ive no idea on engine prices? £500 to put it in sounds fair enough.

Neither me or the old man are mechanics or though we're game to try. suspension/brakes etc id be up for trying but anything engine wise and im out!

what do you reckon on fritz's quotes?

or buy sharkys @ 3250 and have Fritzs drop the B10 lump in - £5250 all in and suspension/ brakes sorted.

TBH i think there are cheaper ways than starting from a shell at Fritzs (not saying its the wrong way just not the best value)

an e28 is unlikely to be worth even half what you pour into it

just read advert too, why not buy something like that and strip it, fit brakes, ARB's, buckets and suspension - all easy DIY, then enjoy it before deciding to spend £2k on an engine. this way you get to see if you like it first and if not you could probably sell it for what it has cost you. Don't get hung up on the need for big numbers!

As much as i love the e28 i'm afraid i can't see the logic in spending £7k on a track toy - for that money i'd b after a pov spec e30 M3

520i with and M50/M52 engine would be a nice combination. I would do it but I can't just throw away a good engine and gearbox, it just would not feel right.

Get an E28 with all the mods that Duncan suggested ealy on and then go for a turbo conversion to the M30. I believe that a few of the E30 boys have done this with a reliable 350bhp+ for around £2K. It's what I'll do if I am in the position to justify a track car again in the future.

Mike

The E12 with the B10 lump would be uber cool :D:twisted:

Slammed on a deeeeeeeeeeeep set of bbs!

Sweet... :D

I think you need to decide what you want Matt, it seems you have to agree how much you are going to spend and how that will determine what you will need to do yourself / get done...

I want it all........................

A retro cool / mean looking / immaculate / 250-300bhp++ / that can handle itself both at shows and on track

Something that i come out my front door everyday and say wow!

and remember we are here to help! i reckon if you had the bits we could polybush, big brake, ARB and re-suspend an e28 in a day easy!

The decisions are these really:

Go custom - buy shell and have B10 installed - £££

Buy tidy M535i and strip it and upgrade running gear but leave engine till later.

Buy 520i and have M50 conversion done.

Remember the Nº 1 rule of any of these is to ensure your shell is really solid. if you are serious most of the shagged underpinnings will go in the bin so provided its rust fee the mechanics are pretty simple.

with all of these await my rack and pinion conversion kit (maybe:D)

and remember we are here to help! i reckon if you had the bits we could polybush, big brake, ARB and re-suspend an e28 in a day easy!

The decisions are these really:

Go custom - buy shell and have B10 installed - £££

Buy tidy M535i and strip it and upgrade running gear but leave engine till later.

Buy 520i and have M50 conversion done.

Remember the Nº 1 rule of any of these is to ensure your shell is really solid. if you are serious most of the shagged underpinnings will go in the bin so provided its rust fee the mechanics are pretty simple.

with all of these await my rack and pinion conversion kit (maybe:D)

Cheers - whatever we go for offers like that will not be ignored!

Now cant stop thinking of a B10 powered e12 slammed on deeeeeeeeeeeep BBS!

If you follow Duncan's route a cheap way of getting better performance would be to fit the 3:91 diff from a 325 Sport. I never got round to doing this on mine but I found the biggest problem on track with an overdrive gearbox was the really tall gearing.

Mike