whipsey2001

525ix engine swap

i've been toying with the idea of fitting a bigger engine into my 525ix would this affect the four wheel drive system i'm allready looking at getting modified driveshafts as i've been told that its the weak point :)

I hate to rain on your parade but with the iX I think you're going to struggle every single step of the way... hardly anything on the forward part of the car/suspension/transmission is shared with other models... it's all very complex and cluttered around the front subframe area.

That said... you could squeeze a turbo in the engine bay, that should be easier assuming you can work out an exhaust route around the steering column.

just a thought mate are the M3 3.0 and 3.2 lumps not based on the 2.5 block?

I believe the 2.5 is steel and the 2.8 alloy, think the m3 is steel too? not sure if that makes any difference but a 3.2 ix

go on, you know you want too ;)

Oh, don't suppose you have an e28 steering UJ knocking about?

I think the problem will be the sump as if I recall the drive shaft passed through it. So unless you can swop it that’s an issue. 

Best idea is to put the guts in the m50 and build a3.0 striker lump. 

My mate built a 3.0 engine using M54 crank/rods/pistons into the M50 in his E36, with a pair of schrick cams, an M3 exhaust manifold and decent system,  larger injectors, a few other minor mods and a good tune, it makes a solid 250hp at the crank, 60 more than it did originally. Cams aside, you can find the parts pretty cheap and keep the engine looking virtually standard. The Bore on the 2.5, 2.8 and 3.0 are all the same so as long as the bores are good, it's a drop in swap.

Edited by Flandy

19 hours ago, Leo aka Horse-On-Wheels_MS said:

Hmm, wonder how the ix would perform with a 3.0l m54

a lot a lot better! they're no performance car

getting the engine out of an iX is a mission though

23 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I think the problem will be the sump as if I recall the drive shaft passed through it. So unless you can swop it that’s an issue. 

Best idea is to put the guts in the m50 and build a3.0 striker lump. 

I think the m50 sump will fit the m52 54 and s50 52, different oil pickup I think?

yes, the shaft passes through the sump!

Edited by Leo aka Horse-On-Wheels_MS
forgot to mention

The Alpina engine was the detuned version from the E36 B3 3.0 where it produced 250bhp. Apparently there was a Hartge H5 3.0 based on the 525iX which produced 250bhp.

One thing to watch is the clearance in the sump due to the drive shaft running through it. I’m just getting my engine slowly back together on my stroker build and the bolts on the con rod big ends are VERY close to the sump. I had to modify the baffle with lots of trial and error to get it to clear. Not sure if they would protrude any more on a different block.

pic is of my modded baffle

A8AE1A18-C917-4F54-BFDE-9AF925E267BA.jpeg

I think you will have to mod the baffle - unless you have the sump with an in built baffle. But the clearance with the sump is an IX issue due to the casting for the front driveshafts.

Well done Mike, glad to hear progress is being made. It does sound as if a M52B28 stroker would have been easier to fit as presumably the clearances are less tight. 

Baffle modding would make sense, the allrad is a square setup of 86bore and 86mm stroke