themanstan

KCA-420i and Intravee II install

It's official, I'm the village idiot!! It turns out that what I thought was an earth strap is actually a metal-headed coaxial.....

:D:lol:

I was expecting the coaxial to be a large chunky plastic plug with a black or white shrouded cable, house-style.

The Dice BMW DSP Adaptor kit is on it's way :)

Ah, so you have digital DSP? Thought you would in an E39 that old. The DSP digital audio cable is small, maybe 4 mm in diameter, with SMB connectors.

Looks like they were in the gallery originally, will see if I can move them across.

Good job Rob!

Maybe a daft question but whats the diiference between the Dice unit and the intravee,i see you only need to plug the cd cables into the dice unit and dont need the Alpine KCA 420i unit ?

The Intravee is far more configurable than the DICE and it makes much better use of the display. The original DICE and DICE Silverline just displays 8 scrolling characters where the radio station name is displayed, the later Dice Silverline Duo and MediaBridge do slightly better. The Intravee uses the entire screen for display of track info or the menus. Being menu driven makes the Intravee much easier to navigate. The Intravee can also display text on the cluster as well as the monitor, with the DICE it's one or the other.

There are also huge number of reports of problems with the DICE, anything from audio noise, iPod connection problems, display problems and even modules taking out the iBus which causes all sorts of nasties.

The Intravee also has a few tricks that work well in the E39 M5 :

- auto door unlocking (and locking if you don't have drive away locking). Without this it can be a pain to open the filler flap when you fill up, especially with selective locking too. Scenario - Drive off, doors lock. Pull up at petrol station, stop car and remove key, try to open drivers door, it unlocks, try again and it opens. Go to filler flap, it's locked, unlock the car, drivers door unlocks again, try to open filler flap, it's still locked! Unlock the car again, now you can open the flap. With the Intravee : Drive off, doors lock. Pull up and remove key, doors and filler flap unlock, Open door, got to filler flap and open it.

- Engine Coolant display, along with other things (Outside temp, engine RPM, Speed, Acceleration, Breaking etc.) this value is particularly important on the E39 M5 as it can tell you if you have a bad thermostat which is common.

- Optional Over-Rev warning on the cluster, more aggressive than the stock tacho lights to protect the rod bearings and the temp/revs are logged so you can tell what's been going on when you leave the car for a service.

- Auto Fold/Unfold wing mirrors.

- PDC sensor data on the cluster, helps you know where an obstruction is and find faulty sensors.

- Speed sensitive auto map zoom in/out.

- Configurable 'Sticky Indicators', tap the stalk to give a minimum of X blinks.

- Journal, logs you journeys saving Distance, Time, Average and Max Speed, Max Acceleration and Break G.

- Boot open warning when the ignition is on, not just when you drive off, it's so easy to open the boot with the key fob, you drive off and then have to stop and close it again.

- Car clock synchronisation with the Nav GPS clock, your clock is always spot on.

- Service Info, tells you when your break fluid and coolant are due for a change and how much fuel you have used since the last service.

There may be a few more I've forgotten about, the features are so seamless that you forget that they are not standard!

HI Richard,

I have the intravee/ ipod set-up all working from an audio perspective. Very pleased with it all. I also soldered in the chip on the Alpine circuit which turns the ipod on with the ignition, bit fiddly that.

I was wondering about the non-audio uses you mention above, in particular the auto fold wing mirrors, nav satellite clock synchro and speed sensitive nav-maps!! How do I access the menu to accomplish such feats of modification?

Also, the service info, how does this work? Is it linked into the service indicator system in the clocks?

thanks

I was wondering about the non-audio uses you mention above, in particular the auto fold wing mirrors, nav satellite clock synchro and speed sensitive nav-maps!! How do I access the menu to accomplish such feats of modification?

You need the pre-release V6.2 firmware. If you e-mail support@intravention.co.uk they'll e-mail the latest back to you.

Also, the service info, how does this work? Is it linked into the service indicator system in the clocks?

Yes. You can query the service information over the iBus, the cluster then reports back various information. The time until break fluid/coolant change is quite useful, it's annoying when you've just had the car serviced and than the clock symbol lights up on the dash.

thanks Richard, currently I have v6.02 on my intravee so have dropped a note requesting an update to v6.2.

re the service info, is that something that also comes through on the latest firmware?

I see no way currently to access such data. I am interested as I am due a refresh of coolant and brake fluid (per my reading of the servive book) but plan to DIY this rather than ask someone else to do it. I would like a way to reset the clock on both these service items. I guess this is something that the Intravee is not set up to do (ie the reset) but I'd like to see what service items the car thinks is due. Per the service book I have the brake fluid is overdue for replacement but I have nothing on the dash to tell me this (I think)

thanks Richard, currently I have v6.02 on my intravee so have dropped a note requesting an update to v6.2.

Sorry, 6.2 was a typo, should have said 6.02, but there are many builds of this, what build number do you have?

re the service info, is that something that also comes through on the latest firmware?

Yes, You go to Setup, Extras, Vehicle Info, Service Info. It should tell you the basic car family, the fuel type, the fuel used in Litres since the last service, the due date of the brake fluid/coolant change and the type of the last service (Inspection or Oil Service).

I see no way currently to access such data. I am interested as I am due a refresh of coolant and brake fluid (per my reading of the servive book) but plan to DIY this rather than ask someone else to do it. I would like a way to reset the clock on both these service items. I guess this is something that the Intravee is not set up to do (ie the reset) but I'd like to see what service items the car thinks is due. Per the service book I have the brake fluid is overdue for replacement but I have nothing on the dash to tell me this (I think)

The Intravee won;t do it, but you can do it yourself, http://www.bmwland.c...hp?f=17&t=45720

Edited by RichardP

build 4909. I think this must be not recent enough however as I've had a good poke around the menus and seen nothing like what you mention above.

intravention have emailed me the latest firmware though so I need to look at how to get on to my intravee.

thanks for all the help Richard, mucho appreciated!

4909 will have the service info option, it's in the same place as the most recent build.

Main Menu, Setup (bottom left) , Extras (bottom left), Vehicle Info (top left), Service Info (2nd down on the right).

cool, thanks Richard. I found the disclaimer option and when I'd disclaimed some more menu options appeared, so I've got the auto fold mirrors working and the nav time updates too.

things I haven't found yet are the speed sensitive nav maps and the boot open warning options

good stuff

Speed sensitive map scale is in Setup -> Extras -> Control -> Map Zoom.

You'll then get a menu with the following options

Auto - displays a * when active.

Speed Offset - the initial speed before which the scale will change according to the ..

Speed Increment - the speed change between scale changes

Min Scale - the minimum map scale that will be selected

Max Scale - the maximum map scale that will be selected

For example, I use a Speed offset of 16 mph 13 mph increment. Min scale set to 250 Yards and Max scale to 2.5 miles.

0 - 29 mph 250 Yard scale

30-42 mph 450 Yard scale

43-55 mph 900 Yard scale

56-68 1 Mile scale

> 68 mph 2.5 Mile scale

However, there is a small amount of hysteresis built in to stop the scale jumping up and down, so it's not quite those cut off points.

Boot open message, Setup -> Extras -> Extras Settings -> Boot Open Msg. Click to toggle on (* to the right) or off (no *).

Hi all i have a problem,i got an intravee and alpine unit today,i went out to fit them both and the small bus connector with the 3 wires snapped in two and the 3 cables came out when i tried to get them out of the cd multi changer and they aslo touched each other there doesn't seem to be any fuses blown.

Any help would be greatfull.

Edited by Jason M5

Oh dear!

You can get a similar connector from a dealer for a few p, part number 61 13 8 377 072, it's blue not black and does not have the double stepped key way, but otherwise it fits perfectly and the existing pins will slot directly into it.

So long as you did not touch the middle and pin nearest the key-way (live and ground) you should be OK, otherwise the fuse will have blown even if it does not look like it!

The wires should be, from the pin nearest the key way on the side of the 3 pin plug :

1) Brown, Ground,

2) Red (or some colours with a red stripe), +12V

3) White (or white and blue) with a yellow band every inch or so, iBus.