Hi all, 

hope someone is able to guide me through this but I really want to buy a E12, E28 or E21.

last year I came across a E12 which has been off the road for nearly 20 years by the previous owner. The owner left the car uncovered and the following parts are stupidly rusty:

- Chassis arms on the front

- Floor

- Rear valance 

- (I’ve not even had a chance to look at the subframe) 

we did turn the engine by hand but didn’t want to start it as the fuel was old etc.

the owner went on about the car being a one off from bmw as it was tapered and apparently the car was also in magazine (not sure if this was his selling tactics) 

I really want to put the car back on the road but I want to know if it’s worth saving, the owner was asking for 1k for it. I’m only 23 and I don’t have the brightest knowledge of welding or working on cars. I want to know if it’s even worth saving the car in the condition it’s in. Are parts even available such as the floor pan the rear valance etc? would it be easier to find another chassis?

many thanks. 

Apologies wasn’t able to get a lot of images/vids of the car. 

95C6DFD7-8D07-46B9-9893-CFB10ED065CA.jpeg

33B3E72D-364C-4F67-96C5-F55434DB8B9A.jpeg

AC93A60E-AEA1-4716-AD13-FFEC79BBB5B7.jpeg

6243B1FD-C875-4193-91BC-F44CAF71E329.jpeg

I'm guessing this is an e12 M535i? As such a good one will fetch stong money these days.

The issue though will be rust - one assumes it was taken of the road for a reason (usually rust) and 20 years will have done it no favours. As such one would beed to be prepared for a lot of welding and fabrication.

Problem with these e12s too is that parts are harder to come by than an e28 and many bits NLA.

As such i'm not saying its not viable only you need to be confident in your skills and be aware it won;t be a 5 minute task.

have a good look here:

https://www.tonybmw.co.uk/

Tony is/ was the go toguy for e12s but not been active of recent years.

That said at £1k it would break for much more!

That is not the car for you. It is unlikely to be an M535i. It does not have the recaro seats and the digital clock from the pictures.

The amount of rust means that unless it becomes a labour of love and you learn all the skills necessary to repair it then it will consume more money than it is worth. A lot of body parts are not available and any that are are very expensive.

The rust you can see is only the tip of the iceberg. There is more rust that you cannot see.

Even if you were to do it then it would most likely become one of the many unfinished projects on the internet.

The question to ask is why has it not been sold? In my experience any thing that is rare and good value is snapped up quickly. The seller is telling you it is special. If that is the case then others would be very interested and yet he is selling  for a £1000 and has had no takers ( that would raise a red flag for me)

If you were to break the car then you may make more than you pay,  but you will have a car outside your house for a long time selling a bit at a time. That is generally not popular with the neighbours. Have a look at what parts people want for older cars. Some parts are desirable and others you will have for a long time.

The best route with an old BMW is to buy a car that someone has spent time and money on. You can then enjoy the car immediately  and learn as you go.

If you can get the VIN number then a search with the VIN on Real OEM should reveal which model of E12 it started life as.

The seller may regard this as special because there are not many left rather than because it is special (desirable / valuable).

Whatever it really is, it looks like an expensive long term project with hundreds of hours of fabrication and bodywork, not to mention all of the engine, drive train, suspension, electrical system, etc.

As Duncan previously pointed out, Tony BMW has a great thread about restoration of an E12, which looks to have been in better condition from the start. https://www.tonybmw.co.uk/

Take the time to decide with the head, rather than the heart.  Easier to say than do :roll:

This coming from a bloke with three standard E28 525e with varying levels of rust :shock:

Best regards,

Mick 

With the wood door trims, it's a 1978/79 528i. It's scrap but there will be some nice and fairly valuable bits such as the Mahle wheels if that's what they are. If you can get it for a bit less, you can strip everything off and make a few £££, learning a bit about cars as well. 

Alternatively, you could pass the details onto Tim here. 

15 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

With the wood door trims, it's a 1978/79 528i. It's scrap but there will be some nice and fairly valuable bits such as the Mahle wheels if that's what they are. If you can get it for a bit less, you can strip everything off and make a few £££, learning a bit about cars as well. 

Alternatively, you could pass the details onto Tim here. 

That and the owner's manual.

The gearstick surround is an odd one. Aftermarket instalation of electric window's maybe.

Anyway, yep that is a car for me if the details can be found

A bit like bus's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185259148545

22 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The state of that. :lol:

Pity it's not a 520i with the Kugelfischer injection etc. 

You think it is a M10?