Gte86

Windscreen required

The artic conditions have turned a small chip on my windscreen into a foot long crack. It's a blessing in disguise as the wind noise I get from the screen is atrocious. Am I right in thinking there is a technique for fitting the e39 screen? Don't won't to teach autoglass to suck eggs but want it done properly. 

Any links to technical bulletin appreciated. Is there anything else I'm best to replace while I'm there? Seals and surrounds etc. 

Thanks Tom 

20220106_084321.jpg

Deffo get the OEM seal that goes around the windscreen. It's only c£38 from @cotswoldbmwmini and worth sticking with OEM 

As for the glass, there has been a post recently mentioning the proper fitting method and what spacers need to be used etc...Worth looking for

I got a seal off ebay for £20 for the 535i, haven't fitted it yet but interested to know if you have some reasoning behind using genuine, Dan? £35 is not a lot of cash and I actually never bothered to price an original part so interested if there's a back story to your advice?

Edited by Toughguyhuh

Make sure to measure the gaps from sides and top/ bottom before you remove the old windscreen, so when you put the new one in it will sit right. I would stick with autoglass as there is lifetime warranty on the fitting , ie if there's contamination on the aperture the bond will eventually pull away and water will get in or if it's not fitted correctly and you only notice it days or weeks later you can call them back to replace.  Also make sure you do it through your insurance so you only pay the glass excess.

Good luck ;)

26 minutes ago, Toughguyhuh said:

I got a seal off ebay for £20 for the 535i, haven't fitted it yet but interested to know if you have some reasoning behind using genuine, Dan? £35 is not a lot of cash and I actually never bothered to price an original part so interested if there's a back story to your advice?

I've known a few folk go for aftermarket seals and their fit wasn't the best and they didn't sit as flat as they should. 

As said, the OEM seal isn't expensive and worth sticking too IMO 

Definitely going thru insurance and want to use a big company so it's well warrantied. I believe I need a screen for auto lights and auto wipers. Is there an option for this with a tint? 

Realoem is a minefield of different markets 

I've posted this before , so sorry for text-burp but hope it helps:

'I had a windscreen replaced about 15 months ago, and my insurer uses National windscreens: the local branch turned out to be 20mins walk away!

They were superb: asked what car options I had to get the sensor/tint right, knew what to do with the surround trim etc (in fact, told me what what was needed to do it right ); and I was then, and remain very happy with the work.

I realise not necc an option if your insurer has a designated supplier - but I know where I'd go again. Cost me  80quid as an excess on ins. policy;  I did ask  - it'd have been about £350 as an walk-in customer. TBH - that's fair value imo. '

7 Jan 2022: a few months later I stand by that post. I'd use these guys again (Bath)

My car was recently written off when the storm blew a tree onto my car, dents, and front and rear screens, autoglass quoted £1,100 for the two screens, I had windscreen cover, for £75.00 but the car still written off. The moral of the story is get your E39 insurance to have an agreed value on the car. 

If I'm not too late and you still need it, official / TIS windscreen fitting attached to my other recent post here. Given issues after EVERY windscreen change I've had on multiple E39's I've owned, it's one of my most feared things!

11 hours ago, Pzero said:

If I'm not too late and you still need it, official / TIS windscreen fitting attached to my other recent post here. Given issues after EVERY windscreen change I've had on multiple E39's I've owned, it's one of my most feared things!

Not got round to it yet. Thanks for your help

Is the windscreen seal 51318159784 on realoem?

Going to order that and the rubber bump stops. 

It's a car I am keeping so want to do it properly and change all bits that could be perished etc

Not sure about part 3. When I replaced my original decaying BMW trim, I just needed part 1, the trim itself. I think 3 might be something which goes between the screen and the body when they are fitting it perhaps?

Didn't encounter anything like those when I changed my trim, not sure where else they might be for?

Edited by Pzero

when I had autoglass replace my screen they came and checked what type of trim was fitted, ordered oem trims and came back out when they had arrived.

only cost me the excess, why would you pay from your own pocket on top?

9 minutes ago, welshpug said:

when I had autoglass replace my screen they came and checked what type of trim was fitted, ordered oem trims and came back out when they had arrived.

Maybe it's franchise dependant then, as when Autoglass did mine they would only provide third party trim, and even when I offered them the BMW trim I had removed from my old screen before they arrived, they said they could only use what they were supplied with or no warranty. Really does seem luck of the draw! 

4 hours ago, welshpug said:

I wasn't sure if they would just reuse the old trim? I'll give them a call Monday and get booked in