saji

G30 Adaptive led Head Lamp

Hi,

Just wandering !

My car with adaptive Led H lamp . I am enjoying that very much . 

But my friend have a same model without Adaptive Led. He also have the same switch on the Lh indicator lever & he saying Head lamp will go to high beam automatically according to the light from the opposition in darker roads.

I thought only adaptive lights have such privilege. 

Any experience ? 

1 hour ago, saji said:

Hi,

Just wandering !

My car with adaptive Led H lamp . I am enjoying that very much . 

But my friend have a same model without Adaptive Led. He also have the same switch on the Lh indicator lever & he saying Head lamp will go to high beam automatically according to the light from the opposition in darker roads.

I thought only adaptive lights have such privilege. 

Any experience ? 

High Beam Assistant was a stand alone option (originally £95 then £150 from around 2019) across all headlight options on UK cars.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

27 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

High Beam Assistant was a stand alone option (originally £95 then £150 from around 2019) across all headlight options on UK cars.

Matthew, 

Then what is the difference between these two cars ? on my Head lamp it says BMW ADAPTIVE LED. 

His doesn't says anything.

1 minute ago, saji said:

Matthew, 

Then what is the difference between these two cars ? on my Head lamp it says BMW ADAPTIVE LED. 

High beam assistant will just automatically switch on/off the high beam for you based on the road condition. The adaptive headlight will change the beam pattern (both low and high beam) so that it can give you the best possible light coverage.

For example, your headlight will turn left/right horizontally with your steering wheel input whereas your friend's car's headlight horizontal angle is fixed. Then, when the high beam is on, both of your headlight can individually either turn on/off, angle up or down vertically, and angle left/right horizontally. Your friend's headlight's high beam can only have two states: ON/OFF. No horizontal adjust, no vertical adjust, no individual on/off. In a simple word, your headlight can turn on the high beam much longer than your friend's car without dazzling other road user so that it gives you much better light coverage.

10 minutes ago, saji said:

Matthew, 

He doesn't have adaptive headlights! High Beam assist is just the camera on the windscreen detecting lights approaching and auto diming the high beam.
They are a different design - the Icon headlights (adaptive) look better and the lights move left and right out of the way independently when on high beam with cars approaching and when going around corners the lights will follow the road.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

4 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

He doesn't have adaptive headlights! High Beam assist is just the camera on the windscreen detecting lights approaching and auto diming the high beam.
They are a different design - the Icon headlights (adaptive) look better and the lights move left and right out of the way independently when on high beam with cars approaching and when going around corners the lights will follow the road.

Yes, Matthew is right. I forgot the most important bit in my previous post, the adaptive light looks much better with the spoon shape DRL compared to the circular shape DRL on normal headlight.

Thanks to both of you. Yes both you are absolutely right . Adaptive is much much better in nights. 

17 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Matthew, 

31 minutes ago, saji said:

Thanks to both of you. Yes both you are absolutely right . Adaptive is much much better in nights. 

Matthew, 

As I said, you have adaptive lights (factory option) and he doesn't, his are just the base led headlights but with the High Beam assist option ticked. The daylight running lights will be a different shape too.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Apart from the obvious differences between the two, my understanding is that the adaptive lights don’t just turn left, right, up and down etc. but rather have a matrix of LEDs which give the different light patterns. 
Not sure about the G30, but many “standard” lights still turn left and right with the wheel, but the adaptive lights can throw light out to the sides at some amazing angles, without steering wheel input. 

1 minute ago, ally said:

but rather have a matrix of LEDs which give the different light patterns. 

BMW's adaptive light does not have the matrix of LEDs. The light patterns are changed by turning each light's angle left/right and up/down, or turn off either left or right high beam.

3 minutes ago, ally said:

Not sure about the G30, but many “standard” lights still turn left and right with the wheel,

G3x standard LED headlight with the circular shape DRL can not turn left and right with the steering wheel input.

5 hours ago, saji said:

Not too sure what specific area of differences you are looking for between headlight with the "BMW ADAPTIVE LED" logo (yours) and without (your friend's). Functional-wise, I quote my privious post below but with some minor changes to make it more clear about "BMW ADAPTIVE LED":

"High beam assistant alone without BMW ADAPTIVE LED logo (your friend's car) can only automatically switch on/off the high beam for you based on the road condition. The BMW ADAPTIVE LED headlight (which include the high beam assistant function) can change the beam pattern (both low and high beam) so that it can give you the best possible light coverage.

For example, your headlight (the one with the BMW ADAPTIVE LED logo) can turn left/right horizontally with your steering wheel input whereas your friend's car's headlight (without BMW ADAPTIVE LED logo but has High beam assistant function) horizontal angle is fixed. Then, when the high beam is on, the BMW ADAPTIVE LED can individually (I mean left and right head light) either turn on/off, angle up or down vertically, and angle left/right horizontally. Your friend's headlight's high beam (without BMW ADAPTIVE LED logo but has High beam assistant function) can only have two states: ON/OFF. No horizontal adjust, no vertical adjust, no individual on/off. In a simple word, your headlight (the one with the BMW ADAPTIVE LED logo) can turn on the high beam much longer than your friend's car (without BMW ADAPTIVE LED logo but has High beam assistant function) without dazzling other road user so that it gives you much better light coverage."

Appearance-wise, I quote Matthew's previous post below:

"The daylight running lights will be a different shape too."

Interesting post, with these shorter days I have recently been thinking the G31 standard LED lights were crap compared to my E93’s adaptive Xenons lights. The E93 has a separate bulb in the main beam unit that is just for shining round corners as well as the normal dipps moving with the steering. Its so much better on dark lanes, sounds like the same idea as the adaptive G31 option. 
We had a VW for a while, that used to put on the fog lights for the side you were turning to as standard (quite a few other makes seem to do the same thing) it was better than the nothing our G31 suffers with but nothing like as good as the E93. Our G31 is really lacking in opinions generally, my fault for not checking more carfully really when buying but the dealer told me 540i’s have most options as standard, so I wasn’t really looking for them. I was very surprised to find the little switch for making the passenger mirror drop or not when you go into reverse wasn’t even there, I really thought that was standard! 

We both really miss the active steering, adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise control, comfort access, electric folding & dipping mirrors but mostly the memory seats from the E93 when driving the G31 what’s the point of having electric seats if they aren’t memory? Also what the hell is that manual forward back leaver there for in the G31 when everything else is electric on the seat?! The only up side is manual is much quicker to move than electric, that’s why you need memory, they have had time to move before sitting down. 

As a result the G31 doesn’t get used much, unless boot space is required of course! 

Saying that, the G31 auto dip beam does work much better than the E93’s, it tends to mistake road signs reflecting back at you as cars & turns off the main beams. 

7 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

but the dealer told me 540i’s have most options as standard, so I wasn’t really looking for them. I was very surprised to find the little switch for making the passenger mirror drop or not when you go into reverse wasn’t even there, I really thought that was standard! 

Always take what a dealer says with a pinch of salt and do one's own homework. The 540i has almost the same standard spec as a 520d!

The switch is just the switch selecting the left or right mirror for electric adjustments. If it is on the right, then the left mirror will dip (but i think only if you have the folding mirror option). 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

with these shorter days I have recently been thinking the G31 standard LED lights were crap compared to my E93’s adaptive Xenons lights.

Same here. My previous F10 has the Xenons (without adaptive function) and I found it's still better than G31's standard LED. The light distribution is more even and wider. The light (both high beam and low beam) is bright but gentle to the eye. My initial thought is that it's because the G31 uses LED as light source. But then, after I had my G29 with standard light (LED, no adaptive function, but has high beam assistant), I found the LED is not to be blamed as on the G29, the LED works much better than the Xenons on F10. I may not missed other equipments as you mentioned, but I sort of hope I have the adaptive LED headlamp although I actually haven't tried one in the night to see how good it is.

1 hour ago, q96169we said:

Same here. My previous F10 has the Xenons (without adaptive function) and I found it's still better than G31's standard LED. The light distribution is more even and wider. The light (both high beam and low beam) is bright but gentle to the eye. My initial thought is that it's because the G31 uses LED as light source. But then, after I had my G29 with standard light (LED, no adaptive function, but has high beam assistant), I found the LED is not to be blamed as on the G29, the LED works much better than the Xenons on F10. I may not missed other equipments as you mentioned, but I sort of hope I have the adaptive LED headlamp although I actually haven't tried one in the night to see how good it is.

As from all previous replies/comments . Now I felt adaptive is much better in night drive. It gives a wide angle of brighter lights.

now I prefer to do night journeys.  

Thank you guys all for your much wider discussions about this topic. 

1 hour ago, q96169we said:

Interesting, the G31 is the first car we have had with proper LEDs (I did put LED bulbs in the old E39 before it was an MOT fail, but they gave quite a nice light). I find the standard G31 LED exactly the same being too harsh, they seem to light up the road very close to you with such intense detail it’s distracting at first, your eyes have to adjust to that bright light so it’s harder to make things out that are just outside the range of the lights. Obviously now the dark evening have been with us a while you get more used to it. 

Also the door strip lights that are fun in summer I found to be rather distracting in dark winter evenings. They were on blue & set on high, but since changing them to orange & a lower level its seem much easier to manoeuvre round dark carparks. 

17 minutes ago, saji said:

Now I felt adaptive is much better in night drive. It gives a wide angle of brighter lights.

now I prefer to do night journeys.  

Glad to hear it, enjoy them!

The standard LED lights on the pre-LCI G30 are woeful - I found on mine it had dark patches all over the low beam where you’d want the most light, then another dark patch when you switch on the high beams. Worst lights I’ve ever had on a car. 

In response to the OP - the G30 actually had 3 versions of headlight on the pre-LCI:

1) Standard - LED, no adaptive (round angel eyes). High beam assist available as an option. 

2) Adaptive LED - essentially adding cornering function and high beam assist (round angel eyes still)

3) ICON Adaptive LED - giving full adaptive functionality, with selective high beams and the ability to shine around cars / switch off parts of the beam. (Nicer looking lights with the half angel eyes)

On 12/4/2021 at 7:38 PM, Back2Beemer said:

I found on mine it had dark patches all over the low beam where you’d want the most light, then another dark patch when you switch on the high beams.

This is what I referred to as light distribution. Mine does exactly the same. It's like the light is zoomed into certain points instead of evenly distributed in front of your view. Both low and high beam have this issue. 

On 04/12/2021 at 19:38, Back2Beemer said:

In response to the OP - the G30 actually had 3 versions of headlight on the pre-LCI:

1) Standard - LED, no adaptive (round angel eyes). High beam assist available as an option. 

2) Adaptive LED - essentially adding cornering function and high beam assist (round angel eyes still)

3) ICON Adaptive LED - giving full adaptive functionality, with selective high beams and the ability to shine around cars / switch off parts of the beam. (Nicer looking lights with the half angel eyes)

Intresting, from your description (just shape of the light) ours sound like your 3:

00yayvQ.jpg

The face lift E39 had proper round halo lights, the G31 has flat bottoms to them. I guess when you say half angel eyes you mean there isn’t a full circle? 

The G31’s certainly work like the number 1s (with high beam assistance), I was sure they were just standard LEDs. 

Yes dark patches are a pain. There is a real split in the light between the upper half mains & lower dips with the high beams on too. I guess something must be adjustable to bring them closer but I’ve not looked into it. 

32 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Intresting, from your description (just shape of the light) ours sound like your 3:

00yayvQ.jpg

The face lift E39 had proper round halo lights, the G31 has flat bottoms to them. I guess when you say half angel eyes you mean there isn’t a full circle? 

The G31’s certainly work like the number 1s (with high beam assistance), I was sure they were just standard LEDs. 

Yes dark patches are a pain. There is a real split in the light between the upper half mains & lower dips with the high beams on too. I guess something must be adjustable to bring them closer but I’ve not looked into it. 

Left is 1) or 2), right is 3).

Yours is either 1) or 2) and we all dislike it.

image.png.2edde92b66003477bce028cce79450c5.png