Sign in to follow this  
STYKLEV_61@abv.bg

Problem with brake pads wear sensor

I have run into a few problems changing the rear disc and pads. First discs and pads hasn't been changed ever they were original factory fitted ones.

As such brake pad wear sensor retaining clips were nightmare to operate resulting in head of the sensor remained in the pad other half hanging loosely. 

What I am concerned about is two things.  Do I have to fit new wear sensor every time I change the brakes because this on I had definitely was not a reusable part. It just clips in place and that's it.

And second they are really cheap but need a one that's proven and works. Bosch OK? 

You don't need to replace them every time if they're in good condition; but they're cheap now and sometimes it's worth doing for peace of mind

I've used Meyle ones in the past; zero issues... Bosch will be fine

The sensor is nothing more than a wire that loops around, when it wears through on the disc the contact breaks and the warning light goes on. Nothing electronic about it so I wouldn't spend more than I had to on one.

You can also go really cheap and cut the old sensor wire near where it connects to the car loom and just solder the two wires in it together, this will look the same as an unbroken sensor to the car. Of course you then have to manually keep an eye on brake pad wear.

What's the mileage of your car? I highly doubt that original discs and pads have survived 20 years. 

They might be original parts, but replaced by someone later, which is actually a good sign, because someone wasn't tight on money and choose OEM parts which obviously is one of best options for car.

Pad wear sensor, as stated above, can be reused if it's not been worn through. At the same time little spring clip holding it in can rust over time and snap, so most likely on one sensor you can get through with two sets of brake pads. There's nothing electrical inside, just single wire, so I doubt there can be quality issues. As long as it fits. 

Bare in mind, if pad wear sensor has been worn/disconnect with ignition on and have triggered warning light on dashboard, you need to reset light, it won't go away just after fitting new sensor like on some other cars.

It's really simple to reset, with new sensor connected keep drivers door open and turn key to position one (or two maybe?) for 1 minute, brake warning light will go off. 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, Carlton said:

The sensor is nothing more than a wire that loops around, when it wears through on the disc the contact breaks and the warning light goes on. Nothing electronic about it so I wouldn't spend more than I had to on one.

You can also go really cheap and cut the old sensor wire near where it connects to the car loom and just solder the two wires in it together, this will look the same as an unbroken sensor to the car. Of course you then have to manually keep an eye on brake pad wear.

Soldering is my first choice. I will buy a sensor from somewhere. They are cheap as chips. Thanks 

1 hour ago, STYKLEV_61@abv.bg said:

50k miles

Low mileage, might survive that long then. But must been kept mostly under roof, otherwise rust would definitely do it's job over years.