pidgeonpost

Anyone know this E39 530d Touring?

After selling the E60 a couple of years ago I still regret it and have the itch to get another BMW.

I spotted this E39 on Autotrader and thought I'd ask on here if anyone knows the car or has an opinion on it, or knows the dealer. Obviously body rot is a big concern on a car of this age, but there's plenty more that can go wrong too. 

The MOT history shows the usual stuff like weak handbrake, ARB bushes. Rusty brake and fuel pipes are mentioned too. And why do people put cars in for MOT with tyres that must be obvious fails? 

It'll be a second car and not a garage queen. 

It's some distance from me but I don't mind going to have a nose around it if the vibes are reasonably positive. :-)

Edited by pidgeonpost

Don't know it at all; but it's basic spec and overpriced IMO

I'd not want to spend more than £2.5k to £3k on that personally

Thanks. I thought when I first spotted it that it was £3495, though it looks like I was mistaken - I've seen a few ads recently.

The advert is a bit light on detail, though I can always ask for more. Not having all the toys isn't as important to me as it being 'sound in wind and limb' as they used to say.

On 21/11/2021 at 14:27, d_a_n1979 said:

Don't know it at all; but it's basic spec and overpriced IMO

I'd not want to spend more than £2.5k to £3k on that personally

I'm confused, and not for the first time. I'm not doubting your word Dan, as my E39 knowledge ain't great and I'm just looking for clarification.

The top line of the ad describes the car as a Sport, while the detail below describes it as having 'all the usual M Sport extras' including M Sport alloys. What are the other differences? What should I be looking for? The steering wheel has the 'M' logo too, but there's no view of the kick-plates. I've had a brief trawl on the forum and opinions seem to differ here too on what features the SE and Sport models have. Anyone care to give me a few clues please?

Edited by pidgeonpost

35 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

I'm confused, and not for the first time. I'm not doubting your word Dan, as my E39 knowledge ain't great and I'm just looking for clarification.

The top line of the ad describes the car as a Sport, while the detail below describes it as having 'all the usual M Sport extras' including M Sport alloys. What are the other differences? What should I be looking for? The steering wheel has the 'M' logo too, but there's no view of the kick-plates. I've had a brief trawl on the forum and opinions seem to differ here too on what features the SE and Sport models have. Anyone care to give me a few clues please?

It's a genuine Sport with the Mtech II bumpers, interior and suspension/alloys etc

But it's basic spec (no electric/memory seats from what I can see, they could be just manual or basic electric, but no memory buttons from what I can see). Basic black interior, noi heated seats etc

High'ish miles and at nearly £4k

For me it needs to be closer to £3k tops to be a sensible buy

'Priced to sell' it is not

Thanks - that's helpful. I can live without the memory seat, though unheated leather seats are almost literally a pain in the @rse. It's MOT'd til June, but the MOT done in December '20 came up with 5 advisories* which are not mentioned in the June MOT. Your guess is as good as mine whether they will have been fixed, but could be a bargaining chip IF I take it further. Maybe I should've grabbed the 528i of @velvetmonkey when it was advertised here.

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

Fuel Pipe/s corroded ()

Nearside Front bumper

Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Nearside Front Brake hose slightly deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))

5 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

Thanks - that's helpful. I can live without the memory seat, though unheated leather seats are almost literally a pain in the @rse. It's MOT'd til June, but the MOT done in December '20 came up with 5 advisories* which are not mentioned in the June MOT. Your guess is as good as mine whether they will have been fixed, but could be a bargaining chip IF I take it further. Maybe I should've grabbed the 528i of @velvetmonkey when it was advertised here.

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

Fuel Pipe/s corroded ()

Nearside Front bumper

Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Nearside Front Brake hose slightly deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))

The brakes stuff is easy to sort; but the corroded fuel pipes isn't an easy/cheap fix IIRC

Oil leak; typical M57 and probably rocker gaskets, but you'd need to look carefully to see if they're something else

ARB drop links; £16 each and an easy fix

What's the NS front bumper issue?

And yes; I wouldn't want leather without it being heated. My alcantara seats in the previous touring were great for not being cold, but still had a heated seat cover on them over winter ;) 

I had these in the touring and would highly recommend them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGLETING-Cushion-Intelligent-Temperature-Controller/dp/B01LEPPUMM/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=heated+seat+cover&qid=1637787351&sr=8-5

They're in the wife's Racing Jazz now :mrgreen:

10 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

Thanks for the heads-up on the easy/not-so-easy fixes. Yes, the fuel pipe had me wondering. At present I've just asked if it's still for sale. Then I've got plenty of questions to ask. :cool:

The best way; if they answer with details then great. If they come back with little detail or not at all, keep looking IMO

It could be a great base for a project car; but not at that price