biggurs

F10 525d new battery registering

Hi 

I had new alternator fitted the other day and as I've never changed the battery in the 5 years since I've owned the car I'm thinking it's time I do it. 

Nothing wrong with it and it's running at 14.7 on the hidden menu. 

If I swap it with a new one will the new one still need registering (even though the current one is still running efficiently) 

I know it does need doing especially if current battery is weak otherwise IBS will think the old battery is still installed) 

Its giving me IBS too (irritable bowel syndrome) 

Any advise will be greatly appreciated 

20 minutes ago, biggurs said:

Hi 

I had new alternator fitted the other day and as I've never changed the battery in the 5 years since I've owned the car I'm thinking it's time I do it. 

Nothing wrong with it and it's running at 14.7 on the hidden menu. 

If I swap it with a new one will the new one still need registering (even though the current one is still running efficiently) 

I know it does need doing especially if current battery is weak otherwise IBS will think the old battery is still installed) 

Its giving me IBS too (irritable bowel syndrome) 

Any advise will be greatly appreciated 

Yes will need registered and if changing power of battery will need coding.

37 minutes ago, biggurs said:

Thanks for your replies. 

Yes £200 Halfords and similar places.... £90 online.

I think I'll carry on for a while longer.

Thanks again 

If and when I went for this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXIDE-EK1050-020-AGM-Stop-Start-Car-Battery-12V-105AH-950CCA-/392928324035?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

13 hours ago, biggurs said:

Thanks buddy

Actually the battery for my 525d f10 2010 is 019.  This one is 020... that's a different fitment right? 

Fits my 2011 525d F10 perfectly.

I believe @Cadwell Parker has same battery too.

Edited by marko530d

6 hours ago, marko530d said:

I believe @Cadwell Parker has same battery too.

Yes, I fitted one of these to my F11 a while ago with no problems.

19 hours ago, biggurs said:

Actually the battery for my 525d f10 2010 is 019.  This one is 020... that's a different fitment right? 

Does the 019/020 relate to the physical size of the battery? Could an F10 have a slightly smaller battery compartment than and F11?

6 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Yes, I fitted one of these to my F11 a while ago with no problems.

Does the 019/020 relate to the physical size of the battery? Could an F10 have a slightly smaller battery compartment than and F11?

Yes; 019 is large, the 020 even bigger

The 105aH battery won't physically fit in the space for the battery in my F01; I ended up sending it back unfortunately due to that.

I'll fit an 95aH battery when I come to sort it out; for now the battery seems to be doing fine now I'm using the car more 

2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I'm still on my near 9 year old original battery.  I do regularly charge it with a Ctek MXS 5.0 charger and this keeps it healthy.  My stop start still works indicating that the battery (and other systems) is still healthy.

Exactly what I've been doing Andrew

Doesn't get used most weekends as it's washed & then parked up by the garage, so it goes onto the trickle charge. Keeps it healthy and peace of mind too :) 

I came to the conclusion when I changed my battery (as a precautionary measure last year) that the hassle/complexity of recoding a battery with different specs was not worth it vs replacing and only having to register with a like for like.

With older cars I used to like putting in a higher CCA rating battery to help the stiff old girls turn over but reckon the newer AGM batteries and factory spec is good enough for me with more modern cars.

12 hours ago, Munzy123 said:

I came to the conclusion when I changed my battery (as a precautionary measure last year) that the hassle/complexity of recoding a battery with different specs was not worth it vs replacing and only having to register with a like for like.

With older cars I used to like putting in a higher CCA rating battery to help the stiff old girls turn over but reckon the newer AGM batteries and factory spec is good enough for me with more modern cars.

Agree & that's what I'll be doing...

As said above; when its not being used its on trickle anyways... Peace of mind & all that :) 

12 hours ago, Munzy123 said:

Agree with you, but given if you are using a Foxwell scanner to register a new battery, isn't it just a different menu in the scanner to then recode a differing size of battery selecting from a predetermined list?

Not that I have looked in my Foxwell for that option of course, incase I mess something up as last time I was fiddling with it, I managed to operate the ABS pump and then get a pressure warning fault code, which thankfully I deleted. :blink:

12 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

if you are using a Foxwell scanner to register a new battery, isn't it just a different menu in the scanner to then recode a differing size of battery selecting from a predetermined list?

From what I remember while exploring the available options when using ISTA to register my battery, if I needed to code a different AH rated battery it was easy enough. Just enter the new AH number (yes, possibly from a predetermined list) and click OK. It's easy if you have the equipment. If you can register a new battery it'd only take a few more clicks to code a higher rated one if you wanted to.

Just now, Cadwell Parker said:

If you can register a new battery it'd only take a few more clicks to code a higher rated one if you wanted to.

Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly.

It took me under 5mins to do both with bimmertool and BimmerCode.

I have Bimmercode but believe I would also require Bimmerlink to register or recode a new battery. Can anyone who has used Bimmerlink confirm please?

Screenshot-20211124-083152-Bimmer-Code.j

Screenshot-20211124-083113-Bimmer-Code.j

Bimmertool to register BimmerCode to code buddy 

(Above is BimmerCode)

Edited by marko530d