maartenderooij

rusted chassis for sale

Hey Guys,

A e34 popped up for sale near me, its listed for 999 euros but the engine and trans is missing. the chassis is badly rusted according to the owner. But I have a welder and basically unlimited access to steel. I also have a space to work with a two-post lift. Now i am quite new to the mechanic world as a hobby but i think this would be a fun experience. Would you guys go for it?

I can see the appeal of a project but i think i'd want to start with a complete car unless can find engine and box cheap?

Unless its something special you have to think what are you doing it for, if its the learning experience why not.

1 hour ago, maartenderooij said:

Hey Guys,

A e34 popped up for sale near me, its listed for 999 euros but the engine and trans is missing. the chassis is badly rusted according to the owner. But I have a welder and basically unlimited access to steel. I also have a space to work with a two-post lift. Now i am quite new to the mechanic world as a hobby but i think this would be a fun experience. Would you guys go for it?

That's generally the price for a badly rusted car WITH an engine and gearbox. That's what I'd be looking for if I wanted a fixer-upper. Speaking from experience with welding my own E34, rust is like an iceberg: you only ever see the tip of it and the bulk of it lies hidden underneath.

Keliuss

It would depend on the rest of the cars condition for me. Also what engine and box will you fit?  Is the interior nice?

I appreciate that it's only going to cost you in time (above and beyond the purchase price) but E34 can be bought pretty cheaply here, although prices do appear to be creeping up of late. There seems to be more interest too, with YouTube channels like M539 Restoration taking on Misha's E34 M5 etc.