Tonemapper

About to buy 2019 G31 from Main dealer - What to check?

Hi All,

I've put down a deposit on a 2019 G31 M Sport 520D which I am picking up next week but going back to do a double check on this weekend.

Is there anything in particular - even something obvious - that I should check on?

Thanks.

What mileage? I guess it’ll have at least a year’s warranty but obviously have a good look over the bodywork, upholstery, interior and tyres as they’ll likely not be covered. Check the screen for chips and wheels for scuffs. Check the triangle, first aid kit (?) and locking wheel nut key are there. I think BMW’s limit is 3mm on the tyres but haggle if they’re near that. If it’s not got mats ask for some. I suppose you’ve had a short test drive but ask for another and try to do a few miles on poor roads for anything strange or noisy. Check when the next service is due (check the iDrive) and if it’s close haggle for the cost (if the brake fluid is coming next (likely) it’s quite cheap though). TBH I’ve found the G series pretty trouble-free so far.

Edited by Boba

Agree with Boba, G-series car is in general well built and trouble-free. However, there are some minor points that worth to pay a little more attention on top of normal tyre, wheel, services etc. as Boba has mentioned.

1. Rattling from behind dash and door card. Quite minor, depending on the road surface, and doesn't affect anything. But, sometime a bit annoying when my mood is low

2. Check for door velvet seal for any damage. When the weather is freezing, the velvet part of door seal may stick to the frame and if you pull hard to open, the velvet seal may get damaged. The rubber seal seems to be unaffected, just the velvet seal.

3. Check for filler cap. Some car's filler cap is not alligned properly so push open and push close may be a little bit sticky

4. Check for exterior black plastic trim pieces' colour. If they are exposed in directly sun light for a long time (always parked facing the sun), they may turn a bit white-ish, or cloudy.

Also, I think 2019 520d car does not have 48v MHT. If it has, try the brake and see what you feel about it. Personally, I can live with it but don't like it. 

2 hours ago, Tonemapper said:

I was told point blank there was no haggling!

Yes, the advantage is with the seller at the moment, but it never hurts to point out a problem and ask - they can only say no after all.

33k sounds about average if early 2019 but I’d guess that both the 2nd oil service and brake fluid won’t be far away which will cost a few £hundred.

Edited by Boba

I'd also suggest a vcheck to see if it's got any hidden history (even when buying from main dealer I do vcheck). Congrats on the new motor!

Agree as above - do a vehicle check. Car vertical is absolutely brilliant. 

One other thing I’d check visually are the wheels - if they’re diamond cut then look out for white worm around the centre cap, bolt holes, and on the hard edges of the spokes. This should be fixed under warranty if there’s anything evident. 

12 minutes ago, Tonemapper said:

Great advice, thanks. Used VCheck.uk - everything fine but it did mention: 

MOT Advisory Notices - Offside Rear Nail in tyre.
So worth the price of the report!

I guess you’ll be looking to see if they’ve changed it? ;)

2 hours ago, Tonemapper said:

Great advice, thanks. Used VCheck.uk - everything fine but it did mention: 

MOT Advisory Notices - Offside Rear Nail in tyre.
So worth the price of the report!

You can get all the previous MOT information at no cost from the DVLA website or use the “vehicle Smart” app on the App Store. 

On 11/11/2021 at 15:50, Tonemapper said:

Thanks Boba, it's done just over 33k.

I was told point blank there was no haggling!

its a sellers market just now