Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Ashton

Road Tax

Since buying my G32 in November 2018 I've now paid 4 of the 5 luxury tax years of road tax via direct debit, so just one more payment to go next year then down to £155 (or whatever they decide by 2023) - Yippee

2018 £450

2019 £465
2020 £475
2021 £490
2022 £?

My wife's F45 has been fixed at £30 since 2014 and my daughter's Fiesta is still £0!

I think road tax will become extremely expensive when the govt can't get tax revenue from the sale of petrol and diesel once they have pushed us all into electric vehicles. Either that or there will be tolls on the roads.

2 hours ago, E39mad said:

I think road tax will become extremely expensive when the govt can't get tax revenue from the sale of petrol and diesel once they have pushed us all into electric vehicles. Either that or there will be tolls on the roads.

I agree, maybe tolls will become the thing of the future.

I suspect this will play out along the following lines:

ICE cars will rapidly become fewer over the next 5 years as, a) they aren't being built, b) existing ones will age and devalue slowly passing down the "automotive food chain" to the scrap yard.  

Older vehicles don't / wont benefit from proposed speed limiting technologies etc, as too difficult to retro fit.  For them, RFT would remain in place.

Newer electric cars ( of which most possess obscene performance it seems) will have speed limiting and all manner of reporting technology built in as standard. 

The collected data will be linked to a central real time database and your road use, driving indiscretions etc will be charged accordingly.

Black boxes on steroids with big Bro' truly watching you is where we are headed.  

You see, it will slowly creep in dressed up under the guise of road safety and climate change amelioration. 

Barstewards. What's happened to the open road?

20 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

Road charging (not electric!!) but they’ll need to track us for that……can sense some civil unrest at that!!

Seems pretty clear to me this government could get away with almost anything without any actual reaction from the public!

tax receipts from cars already way down I imagine - a lot of company car drivers now in hybrids/electric cars and paying bugger all tax.