Sign in to follow this  
bestdj

Opinions needed for brake

Has anyone fitted other brands brake discs and pads? I found something like that on ebay looks a bit cheap

Screenshot_20211029-140532_eBay.jpg

43 minutes ago, bestdj said:

Has anyone fitted other brands brake discs and pads? I found something like that on ebay looks a bit cheap

I'd never fit non-branded brakes to my cars. Either go with BMW OE or a renowned OEM brand - ATE, Brembo, Zimmerman to name a few.

I've had Brembo discs and pads on my F11 530d for 55000 miles without any issues. 

ATE discs paired with Texstar pads get good reports. Mrs CPs F20 has  had that combination on the front for a while, again without any issues.

No point trying to save a few quid buying cheap brakes in my opinion. They won't work as well and will wear out sooner than better quality items and end up more expensive in the long run

Yeah but I've had brembo discs and pads on my e39 after just year corrosion started to eat them that's why I'm kinda negative to branded one as they not great as they used to be 

1 hour ago, bestdj said:

Yeah but I've had brembo discs and pads on my e39 after just year corrosion started to eat them that's why I'm kinda negative to branded one as they not great as they used to be 

I doubt your experience of the Brembo disc was anything to do with “not as great as they used to be”. Any disc will corrode if not used for a period of time and the elements get at it.

Your argument doesn’t hold, “I don’t trust branded parts so I’ll buy cheap stuff off eBay which can’t be bad”. You have no idea where these are made and what sort of quality control. But, to each their own.

So my Personal view is that these days it does not matter where something is made.  It is the brand and quality control that matters..  

I am a cheap skate and hate spending money on cars.  But over the years I have learnt that you cant cut corners on rubber and brakes.

3 hours ago, bestdj said:

Brembo apparently are made in India so I've heard 

And? A simple search tells me they own a subsidiary that manufactures motorcycle brakes in India. Car brakes are manufactured in Italy, Brazil, UK, China, US. I’m talking about quality assurance and buying Brembo wherever they are made will be made to a set of high quality standards The place they are made makes no difference. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

23 hours ago, bestdj said:

Yeah same here I always go for brembo but thought those can't be that bad 

I guess you'll find out the hard way :D - dont cheap out on brakes and get reputable brands

I've gone with ATE both on my previous E61 and now the F11. Over here I can (and do) legally make full use of the power of the vehicle and having had to slam on at about 145mph I am damn glad I went with a known good manufacturer.

Michelin CrossClimates being stopped by ATE discs and pads all round.... Good to know what I can rely on. 

ATE, Jurid, Textar and Brembo would be my go-to's. All OEM (bar Brembo); but they're high quality

I would NOT go for an 'eBay kit' at all, unless it's made from one of the above

I never said that I will buy those just wanted to find out what people think about them so now I know thanks 

ive got mtec discs on the front of mine drilled and grooved and they are superb, mate has them on 2 track cars too and they stand up to a pasting all day on track without issues, replacing my rear discs with mtec too and new pads all round, will likely go OE on pads though just because its a nightmare to find the right ones.