RobM

Brake warning, but brakes are fine

Posting just to see if anybody else has experienced this…

Soon after buying my car, it told me my front and rear brakes needed replacing. No drama, booked in, rears we’re replaced but fronts had 8+m left on the pads so the garage reset the indicator and saved me a lot of money. Lovely. 

Two days later, the car tells me I’m overdue a service and my front brakes need replacing. 

Booked back in, resetting didn’t work this time, so the garage essentially convinced the car it had entirely new brakes. Problem solved. 

A few weeks later, the car suddenly tells me I have 20-miles left on my front brakes. It’s booked in tomorrow to have the wear sensor replaced in the hope this cures it. I don’t really know what they mean, but the next step after that is ‘updating the software in the vehicle’.

Hopefully it is just a bad sensor, but has anybody else experienced this?

9 hours ago, RobM said:

Posting just to see if anybody else has experienced this…

Soon after buying my car, it told me my front and rear brakes needed replacing. No drama, booked in, rears we’re replaced but fronts had 8+m left on the pads so the garage reset the indicator and saved me a lot of money. Lovely. 

Two days later, the car tells me I’m overdue a service and my front brakes need replacing. 

Booked back in, resetting didn’t work this time, so the garage essentially convinced the car it had entirely new brakes. Problem solved. 

A few weeks later, the car suddenly tells me I have 20-miles left on my front brakes. It’s booked in tomorrow to have the wear sensor replaced in the hope this cures it. I don’t really know what they mean, but the next step after that is ‘updating the software in the vehicle’.

Hopefully it is just a bad sensor, but has anybody else experienced this?

It is a faulty brake wear sensor. Get a genuine BMW one fitted and this should resolve the issue.

Thank you, that certainty is reassuring!

My gut feeling is the brakes aren’t genuine BMW parts; there is no sign of them being replaced in the service history onboard, yet I can’t imagine they’ve lasted 50k miles and still have plenty of life left! I’ve just dropped it off to be checked out so hopefully this is the end of the saga. 

4 hours ago, RobM said:

Thank you, that certainty is reassuring!

My gut feeling is the brakes aren’t genuine BMW parts; there is no sign of them being replaced in the service history onboard, yet I can’t imagine they’ve lasted 50k miles and still have plenty of life left! I’ve just dropped it off to be checked out so hopefully this is the end of the saga. 

The onboard service history won’t show that brakes had been replaced. Only brake fluid refresh AFAIK.

On this topic I've just had a VHC done, my G31s pads front & rear are reported as having 7mm left.  This is after 31k miles.

Any ideas at what depth the wear sensors will trigger?

On 28/10/2021 at 12:12, Matthew Ashton said:

The onboard service history won’t show that brakes had been replaced. Only brake fluid refresh AFAIK.

Incorrect, my service history shows clearly, rear pad service and front pads services. 

6 minutes ago, Jonny2400 said:

Incorrect, my service history shows clearly, rear pad service and front pads services. 

I stand corrected. I have only ever had rear brake pads done at BMW and on my old F11 and the service history wasn’t updated at that time.

Im not sure if this aaplies but I just read somewhere else that the caliper slide bolts might be the issue so getting the mis-read.  They described the exact same issue